DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worst Fall Conference All-Sports Performance in DC History?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Davidson sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Worst Fall Conference All-Sports Performance in DC History? Reply with quote

Includes Football, Men's and Women's Soccer, Volleyball, and Field Hockey. All sports combined.

Didn't include the non-team sports.

2014: 10-33-3
2015: 17-31-0
2016: 10-36-2
2017: 7-37-4

Clearly going backwards.

Last edited by Bill Cobb on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Corpulent Cat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a truly terrible W/L record. I don't think it is attributable to our athletes.
A clear reflection on the administration.
citycat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The W-L record is attributable to the athletes to the extent they are not as good as their competition. It is not their fault they are put in a position with little chance to win.

I've followed Davidson sports closely since the fall of '73. We've never been consistently good in anything other than men's basketball, tennis, and golf. We were good in golf and tennis when they were largely upper-class non-scholarship sports. Once just about every school started taking golf and tennis seriously and offering scholarships, Davidson began to struggle in those sports.

I bet our best Fall Sport record was in 1992. The men's soccer team was great and the football team had a winning record. I don't know how women's soccer, volleyball, or field hockey did that Fall.

We are in a campaign to raise $425,000,000. I would hope some of that money would be devoted to athletic scholarships. No one has asked my wife and me (in person) for money and no one has told us where the money is going, but let's hope it allows us to recruit some athletes who can win a match/game or two.

Terry Holland became Davidson's Athletic Director in July 1990. It has taken until the mid-2010s to begin a campaign to raise significant money for athletic scholarships. We've had 3 Presidents who have given lip service to the importance of D1 athletics to Davidson. It is time for the alumni and fans to show what D1 athletics mean to us.

The baseball team had a great season and suddenly $5,600,000 appeared for scholarship aid. It is more common that the money comes first, then the scholarships, and third the wins, but no one is quarreling with the order of the baseball team's success.

Last edited by citycat on Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
stevelee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citycat wrote:
We are in a campaign to raise $425,000,000. I would hope some of that money would be devoted to athletic scholarships. No one has asked my wife and me (in person) for money and no one has told us where the money is going, but let's hope it allows us to recruit some athletes who can win a match/game or two.

You can designate your giving if you like. That gives them three choices: They can accept the money and use it as designated. They can refuse the gift. They can use the money for something else and be subject to arrest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Davidson sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: