Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:47 pm

Pat Riazzi Henry Ford Community College.
Trent Westmoreland
Jeff Chapin
Bob Pickens

stan

Post by stan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 am

catnhat wrote:Tommy McConnell '83- presently the WBB HC at DII California of PA went to a JC near Pittsburgh.
One year in baseball we played both California (Pa) and Indiana (Pa). I'd never heard of either. Geographical confusion to the max when I saw the schedule. I had no idea why universities in both Cal and Ind put "(Pa)" in their names. Also why Cal would come to Davidson to play a game. Long way.

Over the years I have known (even worked for) a few older codgers that once they got a notion or pronunciation in their heads simply could not revise it. Imagine the job interviews with someone asking about your college days in California. Insisting that an interviewer is wrong is generally not regarded as a great technique for snagging a position.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:05 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
BDL wrote:Does anyone think we will add a JUCO forward at some point for next year? In my opinion we still need 2 more post players to feel good (hopefully luka is one of them).

Also, I do think there will be alot of kids available late as the FBI scandal will progress.
Doubtful...I'm sure somewhere in our entire basketball history we have added a JUCO, but can't imagine more than a couple.
Sometimes it's nice to just "dangle" something out there, knowing full well that at least 1 of about 5 people are going to give me the answer without asking :)
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

cat44

Post by cat44 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:16 pm

stan wrote:
catnhat wrote:Tommy McConnell '83- presently the WBB HC at DII California of PA went to a JC near Pittsburgh.
One year in baseball we played both California (Pa) and Indiana (Pa). I'd never heard of either. Geographical confusion to the max when I saw the schedule. I had no idea why universities in both Cal and Ind put "(Pa)" in their names. Also why Cal would come to Davidson to play a game. Long way.

Over the years I have known (even worked for) a few older codgers that once they got a notion or pronunciation in their heads simply could not revise it. Imagine the job interviews with someone asking about your college days in California. Insisting that an interviewer is wrong is generally not regarded as a great technique for snagging a position.
Shaka Smart, who played at Kenyon College, coached at California and received his masters there. Jimmy Stewart was born in Indiana. Tommy McConnell is the uncle of TJ McConnell, now with the 76ers, but formerly of Duquesne and Chartiers Valley, Pa. TJ played the best game I have ever seen a high school player play in the Pa state D3 championship game (2010). TJ is a good friend of Tom Droney. Droney's team won the small school D1 division state championship the same day McCConnell's Char Valley team lost to the # 5 team in the country (Philadelphia Neumann Goretti, which had 4 D1 seniors) by 2 pts. McConnell was the only player for Char Valley who played college basketball. One of their players did get a football scholarship to Arizona, but he later transferred to Duquesne.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:21 pm

stan wrote:

The regional administrative units of the United Methodist Church are called "annual conferences." The name started from the yearly conference that Methodist preachers in England attended, and still makes sense today in that the conference where main decisions for that unit take place meets once a year (plus occasional called sessions). The structure roughly corresponds to a diocese in other traditions, and similarly is presided over by a bishop.

Before some conference mergers a few years back, there used to be the Wyoming Conference. It was in western NY and PA. There is still a children's home there from that era. I can imagine the visions of cowboys and Indians that some boys must have when they are told they are being sent to the Wyoming Conference Children's Home.

Also, I recently read a post from a Canadian who said he was seated next to an American on a plane. The latter was insisting that Toronto was the capital of Canada. The Canadian said that he was sure that Ottawa is the capital, and beyond that, he could see the parliament building from where he lives or works (I forgot which). "No," the American said. "It is Toronto."
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:45 pm

My memory isn't what it used to be. McConnell's last season at DC was '81-'82. He's the WBB HC at Indiana U of Penn. He has gone to the last two DII tournaments.

His sister, Suzie McConnell-Seria, is the WBB HC at Pitt. She was an All-American at Penn State and still is the NCAA leader in career assists. She was PG for the '88 and '92 US Olympic teams. She played in the WNBA and was 1st team All-WNBA. She is in the WBB HOF. Sports Illustrated lists her as the best 5'4" basketball player in history, regardless of gender.

All 6 of the McConnell siblings received college basketball scholarships.

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:36 pm

I recently went hiking with Suzie's/Tommy's nephew, cousin or something. He is an asst. BB coach at Belmont Abbey in addition to having another job with the college.
He was there with JJ Kuhlman's brother.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 am

bagelcat wrote:I recently went hiking with Suzie's/Tommy's nephew, cousin or something. He is an asst. BB coach at Belmont Abbey in addition to having another job with the college.
He was there with JJ Kuhlman's brother.
JJ was dynamite, ours was JP.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:01 pm

I recall that a high school kid told me he thought the next pope should be named George Ringo.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:00 pm

stevelee wrote:I recall that a high school kid told me he thought the next pope should be named George Ringo.
My daughter just stared at me when I shared this with her. I thought it was hilarious.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:43 pm

I really enjoyed teaching my confirmation classes, especially getting to know the kids a lot better. And it hits at a very formative time in their thinking and development of thinking logically, etc. I've been gratified in recent years by some of the things these folks have told me about how it influenced their lives ongoing. Many of you know an alumna who has said some of these things.

But I found over the years that interaction with kids in the middle school age bracket gave me landmarks to remind me that I was aging right along.

I'd give them a perfectly lucid, I thought, summary of the beginning of the Reformation, and then someone would ask how a black civil rights leader wound up in Germany in 1517. I realized that 1517 and 1968 seemed about equally ancient to them.

I used to jokingly refer to earlier times and way back even before the Beatles. I quit after one time I had to explain that. Not long thereafter I read a guy's daughter asked him, "You mean Paul McCartney used to be in another band?"

No telling what culture shock would await me today. The first confirmation class I taught, I was closer to their age than to their parents' in many cases. Today, I might be closer to their great-grandparents than to their grandparents.

Come to think of it, there could be young-uns on this board for whom the relevance of my previous post to this thread was not obvious.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:19 pm

Foot speed. Can we PLEASE recruit some foot speed?
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

BDL

Post by BDL » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:43 pm

Wildcat92 wrote:Foot speed. Can we PLEASE recruit some foot speed?
Idk about foot speed, but we are bringing in long, rangy guys... that should help.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Where are the kids at?

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:55 pm

The kids are alright.