DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FCS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catnhat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: FCS Reply with quote

Big game in NC this weekend. Vastly improved Elon hosts #1 JMU. JMU has won 22 in a row (including defeating NDSU on their way to the championship last year). Elon has a new coach and is ranked #16.

The SoCon has 3 teams in the latest playoff projections I saw: Wofford as a seed, Furman as a 1st round host, and Samford as a first round visitor. This guy had Western as one of the near misses, but they play UNC this weekend and a victory over a BCS team may be enough to get them in.
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile Davidson football continues its long string of irrelevance.
friend o' cats

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it is pretty clear that our coaching staff is on the verge of getting the pitty vote, so I will not say all of the things that are obvious; however, I will acknowledge the fact as an eyewitness that we did run the exact same play four times in a row with 1st and goal - and did not make it. I will also say that SD was by far NOT the biggest team we faced this year, by a long shot (they actually looked a lot like us), but they were a well-coached machine. Anyone know how long their coach has been there? 20+ years?
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friend o' cats wrote:
Okay, it is pretty clear that our coaching staff is on the verge of getting the pitty vote, so I will not say all of the things that are obvious; however, I will acknowledge the fact as an eyewitness that we did run the exact same play four times in a row with 1st and goal - and did not make it. I will also say that SD was by far NOT the biggest team we faced this year, by a long shot (they actually looked a lot like us), but they were a well-coached machine. Anyone know how long their coach has been there? 20+ years?

No way 20 years. Harbaugh was there from 2004-2006.
Derek Smith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe this is his fifth season.
citycat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach Lindsey was an assistant who was promoted to replace a head coach who moved on, I think.

He's in his 70s. He played in the NFL in the '60s and early '70s.

San Diego should dominate the PFL. They're in a state with 40,000,000 people, 7 FBS teams, and a handful of FBS teams. San Diego is a beautiful city and their campus is beautiful. It is a good school. Losing to USD is not a disgrace.

That was not the Torreros' biggest win on Smith Field at Richardson Stadium. Their men's soccer team beat Davidson there in the semi-finals of the College Cup in 1992.
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citycat wrote:
Coach Lindsey was an assistant who was promoted to replace a head coach who moved on, I think.

He's in his 70s. He played in the NFL in the '60s and early '70s.

San Diego should dominate the PFL. They're in a state with 40,000,000 people, 7 FBS teams, and a handful of FBS teams. San Diego is a beautiful city and their campus is beautiful. It is a good school. Losing to USD is not a disgrace.

That was not the Torreros' biggest win on Smith Field at Richardson Stadium. Their men's soccer team beat Davidson there in the semi-finals of the College Cup in 1992.

I would like to know what San Diego's "secret sauce" is though. Their travel costs have to be enormous and they regularly draw only 1500 - 3000 fans for home games. Sure the school has a beautiful location but the stadium is a rather small 6000 seat capacity.

I can see the recruiting pitch now. Prospect, you will get to come to a good school in a great location but no one will come to your home games and your parents will rarely be able to see you at road games because they are on the other side of the country. .........yet, they keep winning.
JCDC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask this guy?

http://www.usdtoreros.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/joe_hurney_909447.html
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCDC wrote:
ask this guy?

http://www.usdtoreros.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/joe_hurney_909447.html

I would love to ask him if he was recruited by Davidson?
captneff26

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: FCS Reply with quote

catnhat wrote:
Big game in NC this weekend. Vastly improved Elon hosts #1 JMU. JMU has won 22 in a row (including defeating NDSU on their way to the championship last year). Elon has a new coach and is ranked #16.

The SoCon has 3 teams in the latest playoff projections I saw: Wofford as a seed, Furman as a 1st round host, and Samford as a first round visitor. This guy had Western as one of the near misses, but they play UNC this weekend and a victory over a BCS team may be enough to get them in.

The Davidson connection here should not go without mentioning. Elon’s Head Coach, Curt Cignetti, was the QB coach at Davidson in 1985.
catnhat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "ask this guy" above is the son of the Panthers' GM. The father's connections may have played a role in his recruiting.
collegecoach8502

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catnhat wrote:
The "ask this guy" above is the son of the Panthers' GM. The father's connections may have played a role in his recruiting.

Or you could have asked his father at the game Saturday.

"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."
citycat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the list of schools that recruited Joe Hurney, Davidson would have been listed if we had recruited him.

One would think we would get the rosters of all the Mecklenburg area public and private schools and look for famous people's kids. A NFL GM can probably afford the tuition. (Marty would have been the GM when Joe was recruited.)
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The player was also born in San Diego, he may still have family there. Not going to lie, if I had to choose between San Diego & Davidson, I am west bound.

Regardless, I am still dumb founded how San Diego succeeds. $60,000+ per year student cost, red shirts, 5 cross country travel games, and low attendance. Someone must be writing football some nice checks.
citycat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Diego's undergrad student body is three times larger than Davidson's. Their tuition is the same. Their athletic department sponsors the same number of sports as does Davidson. They do not give scholarships. (Not legally, anyway.) The portion of their comprehensive fee devoted to athletics should net 3 times more than Davidson's.

A cross country charter that holds 100 people probably costs $50,000. Some of that can be underwritten by putting 20-25 boosters and parents on the plane. Even if there's no room for people who can subsidize the cost, 5 trips to the east coast cost USD $250,000 a year. They fly to nearly every road game, due to the lack of FCS teams in California.

Many schools spend a lot more on football than Davidson. Look at Furman. They fully fund football with a student body that is 25-30% bigger than Davidson's. They do not have an alum who owns the controlling interest in a NFL team. Where does their money come from?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: