DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Up next: Guilford
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChantillyCat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Quips&Cranks, Joe Duncan played Freshman basketball in 1971-72. I believe I've read here, once or twice, that this particular Freshman team beat that year's varsity team.

Joe did not play on the JV team in 1973-74. Q&C confirms that, plus I recall that his team won the 3-on-3 tournament that year.

Q&C is not helpful in figuring out what Joe did basketball-wise in 1972-73, nor is it helpful in determining whether it was Freshman ball or JV ball that year.
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChantillyCat wrote:
Per Quips&Cranks, Joe Duncan played Freshman basketball in 1971-72. I believe I've read here, once or twice, that this particular Freshman team beat that year's varsity team.

Joe did not play on the JV team in 1973-74. Q&C confirms that, plus I recall that his team won the 3-on-3 tournament that year.

Q&C is not helpful in figuring out what Joe did basketball-wise in 1972-73, nor is it helpful in determining whether it was Freshman ball or JV ball that year.

I'm pretty sure there was freshmen ball in 1972-73.
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85Wildcatsky wrote:
MikeMaloy15 wrote:
VMI. Can't tell if you're talking about the 1975 game but, if so, that's the game in which we decided to "set the tone" by kicking off. Things developed not necessarily to our advantage.

The tone was supposed to be set by kicking away from their All Southern conference player Ronnie Moore. We practiced all week kicking to the left because he lined up on the right.

Moore switched sides and Coach Farrell could not get a high IQ football team to kick it to the opposite side. "Hell we practice to the left all week, let's just set the tone" Boom 101 yard run back 7 - 0 Keydets.

55 - 0 .....I still have ringing in my ears from that canon in the end zone. Laughing

I was at this 9/27/75 game. Not fun at all!!!
citycat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freshman = JV in my mind. I wasn't there when he was a freshman, but some of my hall counselors played with him. Starting in '72-'73, those teams were called JVs.

He also kicked for the Club Football team in the fall of '75. Because the varsity scored so infrequently, he wanted more experience kicking off and trying extra points.

The deal was he kicked and ran off the field. He was not going to tackle any returner. He wore a torn up jersey with no discernible number. None opponent questioned why one of the best athletes on the team played 4-5 plays a game.

I hope the statute of limitations has run so neither the varsity nor the Club Football team gets in trouble.
cat44

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChantillyCat wrote:

The 71-72 freshman team did not beat the varsity. The 70-71 team probably did.
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cat44 wrote:
ChantillyCat wrote:

Steve Rogers can answer, but I believe they played at least twice and the freshmen did win one of them, right Gerg?
Steve Rodgers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildforthecats wrote:
cat44 wrote:
ChantillyCat wrote:

Steve Rogers can answer, but I believe they played at least twice and the freshmen did win one of them, right Gerg?

We, the Frosh, beat them for sure. Memorable game, I pushed TJ into the wall as he was driving baseline as retaliation to some shot he had given me. Pig came flying at me, wild eyed, fortunately someone stopped him. I think I made the winning basket over Gadaire. I do not remember them beating us, though since that result was expected it would not be particularly memorable.

Regarding Joe (Young Buck), he started on the Freshman team as the only non scholarship starter. Captain of the soccer team I think, broke the field goal distance record, pitched on the baseball team, ran track (long jump) just once--finished third. And people forget this: Along with Ken Schmader he coached the first women's basketball team, though officially it was Ann Holland--who knew nothing about basketball. And yes he had a radio show, Thursday nights.
As you might expect given all his activities, his grades weren't particularly good. As Abbo once said: "Mr Duncan why don't you see the Dean of Students on your way out of class".
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildforthecats wrote:
Joneohcat83 wrote:
MikeMaloy15 wrote:
The concept of a victory formation with a shotgun snap has given me a headache.

Indeed. It makes me recall any number of Giants-Eagles games in which one team or the other snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with just such a misapplication of football fundamentals.

2017 -61 yard field goal. Longest in Eagles history

The Eagles win!
wildforthecats

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rodgers wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
cat44 wrote:
ChantillyCat wrote:

We, the Frosh, beat them for sure. Memorable game, I pushed TJ into the wall as he was driving baseline as retaliation to some shot he had given me. Pig came flying at me, wild eyed, fortunately someone stopped him. I think I made the winning basket over Gadaire. I do not remember them beating us, though since that result was expected it would not be particularly memorable.

Regarding Joe (Young Buck), he started on the Freshman team as the only non scholarship starter. Captain of the soccer team I think, broke the field goal distance record, pitched on the baseball team, ran track (long jump) just once--finished third. And people forget this: Along with Ken Schmader he coached the first women's basketball team, though officially it was Ann Holland--who knew nothing about basketball. And yes he had a radio show, Thursday nights.
As you might expect given all his activities, his grades weren't particularly good. As Abbo once said: "Mr Duncan why don't you see the Dean of Students on your way out of class".

If memory serves, Duncan's 52 yarder in 1975 broke the previous record(49 yards) by Joseph Duncan vs Hampden Sydney in 1974. Gary Pomeroy's phantom catch + Larry Hardaway's draw play touchdown were other highlights of that 17-16 victory in 1974.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: