No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:13 am

We are all stupid - from time to time, because we are all fallible human beings. Nonetheless, in an effort to avoid more of my own stupidity and to express my sincere appreciation to SlowCat here and now - no express or implied sarcasm - let me state emphatically, the conversation she had with herself (and us) was articulate, persuasive and about 90% on the money.

That said, let me add one caveat to my full throated endorsement of SlowSpeed's post, regarding her characterization of the attitudes and motives as demonstrated by commenters who offer contrary views to those persons here expressing being offended by this or that.

Speaking for myself, but for others here as well, as I have interpreted their posts, we do not seek to ridicule or belittle the sensitivities of the offended. As your expression of a particular viewpoint is presented to inform, cajole and persuade us, please have as your default position that we in an identical manner seek only to inform and persuade you of the validity of our views.

MY own DU education and every LIFE EXPERIENCE has taught me that the Socratic method of back and forth questioning is the most effective way to achieve greater knowledge and wisdom, even.

We will never achieve unanimity of views in this august forum; so be it. I am more than satisfied with constant disagreements that need not, and mostly aren't, disagreeable to the majority participants here. I now know that cotton flowers as art can legitimately be hurtful to some persons. I now respect that view and would not be adverse to exploring the motives of the presumed artist who created that particular work. Now that concludes my prepared (unprepared) remarks, so it definitely is time for the Steve Lee encore performance.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:45 am

slowcat95 wrote:
ChantillyCat wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:This is one of those “posted without comment” things meant to see who will be provoked into saying something disagreeable or inflammatory.
MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:You missed her intent.
I'm really behind the times here. I can't even read people's minds in person, much less over the internet.
Guilty as charged. Yes, I presumed to know that the hobby lobby post was made with the intent of provocation. I'm sorry.

Even so, however, my prediction appears to be coming true.

And my apologies to Stevelee. If I offended you, I pledge to listen to your perspective with an open mind and open heart.
I think I77Cat posted the link because it is stupid. Nothing more, nothing less, because it is ridiculous. Trust me, I know I77Cat pretty well. If he meant it to provoke you or anyone else, he probably would have said so. Enjoy the link for what it is - people are idiots.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 am

slowcat95 wrote:
This is one of those “posted without comment” things meant to see who will be provoked into saying something disagreeable or inflammatory. Here’s how the thread will proceed:

There will be a series of follow-up posts either ridiculing or supporting the offended party, though more than likely, these posters will have little life experience to allow them to truly understand the perspective of the offended. Those who attempt to speak up on behalf of the offended, or at least to request the board collectively try to express more compassion and empathy for those in different life situations, will be privately thanked but publicly belittled. D Block may or may not be invoked. A few completely uninformed insults will be hurled; many others will be implied. There will be no ultimate consensus, and very little mind-broadening by any participants, because that’s the way the internet works. Finally, Stevelee will swoop in and gently but firmly change the subject via some sort of sermon- or music-based post. But until then, we will all come off as buffoons to each other and to the outside world.

There, I saved us at least 2 pages of looking stupid.
I nominate for HOF post.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:35 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
This is one of those “posted without comment” things meant to see who will be provoked into saying something disagreeable or inflammatory. Here’s how the thread will proceed:

There will be a series of follow-up posts either ridiculing or supporting the offended party, though more than likely, these posters will have little life experience to allow them to truly understand the perspective of the offended. Those who attempt to speak up on behalf of the offended, or at least to request the board collectively try to express more compassion and empathy for those in different life situations, will be privately thanked but publicly belittled. D Block may or may not be invoked. A few completely uninformed insults will be hurled; many others will be implied. There will be no ultimate consensus, and very little mind-broadening by any participants, because that’s the way the internet works. Finally, Stevelee will swoop in and gently but firmly change the subject via some sort of sermon- or music-based post. But until then, we will all come off as buffoons to each other and to the outside world.

There, I saved us at least 2 pages of looking stupid.
Very true. No doubt that it is easy to be Nostradamus in a case like this. Things are posted here for a reason and really not for making mountains out of mole hills. Stevelee, as you pointed out, does have a habit of changing the subject matter and for that, I appreciate his kind soul. Messageboards such as this one, are meant more for discussing our favorite sports teams and a reasonable break from political correctness. Letting people post without constantly looking for some hidden message or negative intent is why this board was formed. There are other places for us all to take our, perhaps well intentioned, rhetoric.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:44 pm

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... -facility/

Per other boards and rumors, he was trying to protect a player from getting in trouble, but still not a great look.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Many times when you think I have changed the subject, it means you missed my point. But that's OK. I hear from other board members that they enjoy when my comments obviously fly over someone's head. Always glad to amuse.

A great homiletics prof at Emory used to say that what is shouted from the rooftop is heard in a whisper.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:58 pm

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 pm

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:08 pm

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:14 pm

Nah. This is the kind of thing that should be obvious by direct observation. Or your elementary school teachers. Or parents. The players are smart people. The belief? It is in the correct thread.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

citycat

Post by citycat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Arizona is hosting Utah football now on Fox Sports 1. As they cut to a commercial in the first quarter, the Arizona crowd started chanting, "USA! USA!"

Both are red states. Neither would accuse the other of being foreign or unpatriotic. It's what graveline said. Kids imitate soccer crowds.

Maybe D Block will continue on the soccer crowd theme. They could sing Rogers & Hammerstein show tunes this year.

Bring in Rolfe to lead the crowd in "Sixteen Going on Seventeen". He's in Concord.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:21 am

They did Cabaret on campus last spring. Enough people would know it for a rousing chorus of "Tomorrow Belongs to Me."
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:45 am

Trump got bumped.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 am

Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:23 am

Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ