DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fundraising record just short of goal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevelee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: fundraising record just short of goal Reply with quote

Dear Wildcats,

I cannot believe how fast the summer has flown by! My first few months have been very hectic but incredibly exciting. The team will be returning to campus over the next few weeks, and I can’t wait to get started. We are all anxious to get out on the court together to start investing in our upcoming season. We will keep you posted on our journey through our social media @DavidsonWBB and my account @CoachGCF!

I also wanted to update you all on the outstanding fundraising effort we had in the last fiscal year. It was a record-breaking year! We raised $24,870, which was just short of our $25,000 goal. Those funds are going to be instrumental in helping us provide our players with an unbelievable scholar athlete experience. We are incredibly grateful for your support.

Get ready to mark your calendars, and be on the lookout over the next few months for the announcement of our Women’s Basketball Alumni Weekend. We are targeting a weekend at the end of January or early February, once our A-10 Conference schedule is released.

Thank you again for your support. I look forward to connecting with you throughout the season.

Take care,

Gayle Coats-Fulks
Head Women’s Basketball Coach
i77cat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, but there is something that I don't understand. In women's basketball, football, baseball, and probably a number of other sports, why are we relying on annual fan donations to provide operational funds? I hope that our various academic departments don't depend on donations for operational dollars.
“What LeBron has done is spectacular, not just as a basketball player but as a human being. On the business level. And as a positive force for good. He is an intergalactic force for good.”--Bill Walton
stevelee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i77cat wrote:
That's great, but there is something that I don't understand. In women's basketball, football, baseball, and probably a number of other sports, why are we relying on annual fan donations to provide operational funds? I hope that our various academic departments don't depend on donations for operational dollars.

Of course they do. They used to call it Living Endowment" after all. Now it is "Fund for Davidson," perhaps with some broader reach and more flexibility.

These days people may be more likely to contribute to a specific sport (now that one can) than FFD donors contribute to a specific department's operations. Maybe I'm just projecting my practices on others. The only departmental designation I make (or recall ever making) is to the Donald Plott Memorial Scholarship Fund, which of course is not operational budget.

I don't get email with challenge grant news from, say, the sociology department, but I do from baseball and women's basketball. But that doesn't mean that I am not indirectly contributing a small amount to the operating budget of that department, or equivalently freeing some fungible money to do so.
citycat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the goal for women's basketball be $25,000? We have had scholarship women's basketball since 1992. If we awarded 3 scholarships a year, that's 75 scholarship basketball graduates. If each donates $1,000 a year, that's $75,000. Between their parents, pre-'92 players, and fans, we should be able to raise another $25,000. That's $100,000.

Someone needs to be assigned to connect with our women's basketball alumnae. (Or whatever.) Less than $25,000 is embarrassing.

PS. I77 is correct. This money should not be going to operating expenses. That's what tuition, ticket sales, and general DAF contributions should cover.
i77cat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a tad surprised when I read that the $200K raised for baseball would go to operating expenses. Seems like a crazy way to fund things. Our generous donors are wonderful.
“What LeBron has done is spectacular, not just as a basketball player but as a human being. On the business level. And as a positive force for good. He is an intergalactic force for good.”--Bill Walton
stevelee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citycat wrote:
Less than $25,000 is embarrassing.

Yep.

Those who know me well likely figured that the subtext of my post was hardly hooray! we almost met our goal.

I left the distinction between sarcasm and irony as an exercise for the reader.

And frankly I've been disappointed that the reader response so far had more to do with the administrative rearranging of budgetary deck chairs. I realize some of you don't want to miss an opportunity to imply criticism of Murphy and Carol, just as I rarely pass up an opportunity related to a late past president.

Gayle sent me a nice handwritten note. Now I know why she had time to send notes even to rather minor donors.

As for former players, reaching out to them has been a priority of hers. She has initiated individual contacts, and you saw in this message her plans for a gathering in early 2018. I doubt this is primarily for fundraising purposes. She has expressed her desire to learn from Bob's program. Perhaps she is hoping to develop that kind of culture among the women, to the extent that it doesn't already exist.

Support the program on ticket sales? If you make it to a game, look around. Count everybody there, while you are at it. I would be surprised if concessions at women's games breaks even.

WBB already has as many scholarships as MBB. It's not like baseball, where we can project the difference it would make in the program to increase the scholarships to five.

So why not use contributions for operations? They use Fund for Davidson money for current academic expenses. They use Davidson Trust money for current scholarships. I bet a lot more of the football program's contributions go into current operations than into scholarship funds. (Ought to be a safe bet.)
i77cat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the embarrassment of falling just short of $25K. This is a program that has moved briskly downhill, rarely wins, just changed the entire coaching staff, and has almost no fans. I went from decades of making 75% of the home games to making fewer than half of them last year. Subtract the students and the families of players, and we probably have under 100 other fans per game. Almost $25K is amazing. I've been told that a previous coach would use one fewer scholarship so that she'd enough money for operations. Using all the scholarships for players gives the team a chance at success in the A10. If it takes donations to make up the deficiencies in how the program is funded by the school, then the donors are owed a huge "thank you." I just worry that it is not sustainable.
stevelee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I don't really argue with any of that. The embarrassment is not the $25k from the handful of fans. It is the fact of just a handful of fans and the chicken/egg circumstances. I admit to dragging myself to some games, not looking forward to watching the ladies lose yet again.

Money won't solve everything, but it won't hurt. Supposedly there will be an operations staff person added next year. Promises have been made to the new coach in addition to those already made to the dwindling fan base. While I'm not of the fire everyone on campus contingent, I do believe in progress and accountability. If $25k is a start, it is just a start. I'm glad that now we are being informed as to where we are in the process. I see that as a bit of progress in itself.
i77cat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fire everyone on campus contingent? Wow. Hadn't heard of that. I think we fired too many people last year. The folks who are doing amazing jobs for not enough pay greatly outnumber those who are stealing money.
stevelee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my hyperbole. Blame it on the Box Turtle between church and meeting Episcopalians for lunch. Still not as bad as the quad espresso I had a few weeks ago with development folks as far as caffeine, but obviously a lot more sugar.

My point (peace to St. Anselm) is not that the contingent literally exists, but if it does (did), I'm not part of it.
i77cat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you also disavow membership in the eat all criminals contingent and the always attend church naked contingent?
citycat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see a box turtle today? I haven't seen one in 20 years. We found then constantly when I was a kid. We would enclose them in a piece of fence with food and water and come back an hour later to find they had escaped.

I found one while my kids were growing up. It was crossing the highway in Wilkes County. We rescued it and took it to my mother-in-law's. It was enclosed in a fence with water and food and was gone in an hour. I told my kids what would happen, so they were not traumatized.
i77cat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 years? You should become ruralcat. I've seen four in the last few months. 2 while driving, 2 while walking in the woods.
MrMac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when things were getting serious.... 😅
stevelee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i77cat wrote:
Do you also disavow membership in the eat all criminals contingent and the always attend church naked contingent?

i will take the fifth on those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Women's Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: