Tournament records

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:33 pm

BDL wrote:
BDL wrote:
Waitress wrote:Ultimate frisbee national runners-up (D3).
I am on this team (we don't cut) and I didn't know whether to post how we finished because we're technically a club team (we compete against DI and DIII teams, there is no DII, and play in DIII post season tournaments).
Also: In classic Davidson fashion we were a pseudo Cinderella story as we were an 8 seed that went all the way to the national championship game.
I did not know this. So cool.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:19 am

I'll jump in here since the club discussion has been opened.

We made the national championship tournament in men's club lacrosse in 2005 (16 teams). Unfortunately, with the tournament being held graduation weekend, the seniors couldn't make it and the team did not advance further.

Chedda Blanco

Post by Chedda Blanco » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:18 am

In golf, I believe it's winning three straight conference titles from '66 to '68. The team never made it to NCAAs (I think) but Mike Spann made it to NCAAs individually three times during those years (think it might've been shifted 1 year forward for his 3 years).

Teamwise the closest we've come since then is 2nd in 1973 and 2013 iirc.
Richard Fountain made regionals individually in '11, '13, and '14
I feel the pressure, under more scrutiny.
And what I do? Act more stupidly

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 am

Mike Spann's parents moved to Asheboro in 1974 or so and lived on the same block where I now live. His younger brother graduated from HS with me and went to State.

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 am

wildcatspride wrote:I'll jump in here since the club discussion has been opened.

We made the national championship tournament in men's club lacrosse in 2005 (16 teams). Unfortunately, with the tournament being held graduation weekend, the seniors couldn't make it and the team did not advance further.
Ultimate frisbee has the same problem but the seniors decided to skip graduation

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:16 am

BDL wrote:
wildcatspride wrote:I'll jump in here since the club discussion has been opened.

Ultimate frisbee has the same problem but the seniors decided to skip graduation
Yeah, I saw that. All the credit to them. In our case, my parents, brother, aunt and grandparents had all purchased flights to North Carolina, rented a house to stay, etc. I'm not sure how they would have felt if I had been in Minnesota.

Hats off to frisbee for being all that more committed.

dorp

Post by dorp » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 am

wildcatspride wrote:
BDL wrote:

Yeah, I saw that. All the credit to them. In our case, my parents, brother, aunt and grandparents had all purchased flights to North Carolina, rented a house to stay, etc. I'm not sure how they would have felt if I had been in Minnesota.

Families think they are coming to see their kid graduate, and then wham-o, nope.

BDL

Post by BDL » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:05 pm

dorp wrote:
wildcatspride wrote:
BDL wrote:

Families think they are coming to see their kid graduate, and then wham-o, nope.
Interestingly enough the families were fully supportive; the parents understood how important it was to the seniors. This is especially true since the school gives us no support outside of a little funding so our seniors were single handedly responsible for building the program from literally nothing to where we are today (the seniors even went out and found a coach a few years ago, we pay him a way too small amount out of our dues). That being said it has to be a tough sell to any parent.

BDL

Post by BDL » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:05 pm

BDL wrote:
dorp wrote:
wildcatspride wrote:
BDL wrote:

Interestingly enough the families were fully supportive; the parents understood how important it was to the seniors. This is especially true since the school gives us no support outside of a little funding so our seniors were single handedly responsible for building the program from literally nothing to where we are today (the seniors even went out and found a coach a few years ago, we pay him a way too small amount out of our dues). That being said it has to be a tough sell to any parent.
Also college graduation is a top life moment if im not mistaken.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Would I want to attend my kid's college graduation, or would I rather watch him compete in a national championship, even for ultimate frisbee?

I honestly couldn't guess how I'd react.

Logically, the kid still graduates anyway, but can win (or vie for) the championship only if the team plays.

I hope the college had enough class to announce at graduation that the ones named are representing the school at a championship event.

In the abstract, ultimate frisbee must be much more entertaining than a college graduation. Emotionally, if it is your child, it's probably different. I thought about missing getting together with the parents of the graduate's friends, but then the parents will be whichever place the student chooses to be, too.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:13 pm

dorp wrote:
wildcatspride wrote:
BDL wrote:

Discraft.
The earth is round. Two plus two equals four.

~Tip well.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:51 am

If we include radio quizzes:
Conor Hussey ’18 appeared as a caller on the July 15 episode of the NPR radio show “Wait Wait...Don’t Tell Me!” Hussey played the game “Who's Bill This Time,” in which Bill Kurtis recreates three quotations from the week's news and Hussey’s job was to explain two of them. Hussey correctly identified two, winning the voice of Carl Kasell, scorekeeper emeritus, on his voicemail.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ