No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:31 am

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:Limits on Stupid?

Meanwhile some powerful people are advocating prosecution of skeptics of AGW associated with think tanks and fossil fuel companies.
“This matter has been discussed. We have received information about it and have referred it to the FBI to consider whether or not it meets the criteria for which we could take action on,” said Attorney General Loretta Lynch, responding to a question from green activist Sen Sheldon Whitehouse at a Senate Judiciary Hearing.

Whitehouse said:

“The similarities between the mischief of the tobacco industry pretending that the science of tobacco’s dangers was unsettled and the fossil fuel industry pretending that the science of carbon emissions’ dangers is unsettled has been remarked on widely, particularly by those who study the climate denial apparatus that the fossil fuel industry has erected.”

“Under President Clinton, the Department of Justice brought and won a civil RICO action against the tobacco industry for its fraud. Under President Obama, the Department of Justice has done nothing so far about the climate denial scheme,”

Of course this led to threats by conservative state AG's to prosecute global warming exaggerators on the same cockamamie theory. What a world eh? Powerful people trying to silence opinions they don't agree with by making the opinions criminal.

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 am

Steve Rodgers wrote:Of course this led to threats by conservative state AG's to prosecute global warming exaggerators on the same cockamamie theory.
Do you have an example of the above, CA?

Googling "climate change rico laws" gave me only examples of suggestions and requests to use RICO laws to prosecute skeptics and deniers.
"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:59 am

ChantillyCat wrote:
Steve Rodgers wrote:Of course this led to threats by conservative state AG's to prosecute global warming exaggerators on the same cockamamie theory.
Do you have an example of the above, CA?

Googling "climate change rico laws" gave me only examples of suggestions and requests to use RICO laws to prosecute skeptics and deniers.
Sure:

"Thirteen state GOP attorneys general have sent a letter to the Democratic AG's who are investigating ExxonMobile for fraud in climate change research, telling them that if minimizing the danger of climate change is fraud, so is exaggerating the peril. They threaten to prosecute climate alarmists for making spectacular claims of disaster that have not materialized."
Washington Times

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks. I wasn't aware that the conservatives pushed back in this way.

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Steve Rodgers wrote:
Of course this led to threats by conservative state AG's to prosecute global warming exaggerators on the same cockamamie theory.
But they didn't make that threat into a policy to be placed into their party platform.

nalotze

Post by nalotze » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:13 am

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:16 am

Ball's daddy is a professional troll who aspires to rasslin' villain status.

The "stupid" award goes to ESPN and other media outlets who give that troll the coverage/oxygen on which he thrives. Treat him as you would an internet troll-- ban/ignore him and he effectively disappears.

Saying this feels a little like relieving oneself into a stiff wind.

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:33 am

slowcat95 wrote:Sure, there are plenty of predatory journals that will print anything they can get their hands on.
More proof of this statement. Here are quotes from a recent journal article called "Mitochondria: Structure, Function and Clinical Relevance":
Beyond supplying cellular energy, midichloria perform functions such as Force sensitivity …
Involved in ATP production is the citric acid cycle, also referred to as the Kyloren cycle after its discoverer.
The article containing these quotes was submitted to nine journals. Five rejected it, four accepted it, and three of those four published it. Dr. Lucas McGeorge is one of the authors of the paper.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2017/07/22/predatory-journals-star-wars-sting/#.WXnOvYjyu72

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:24 am

MikeMaloy15 wrote:Ball's daddy is a professional troll who aspires to rasslin' villain status.

The "stupid" award goes to ESPN and other media outlets who give that troll the coverage/oxygen on which he thrives. Treat him as you would an internet troll-- ban/ignore him and he effectively disappears.

Saying this feels a little like relieving oneself into a stiff wind.
Reporting on the trolls is where the profits are for media outlets these days.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

BDF

Post by BDF » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:22 pm

ChantillyCat wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:Sure, there are plenty of predatory journals that will print anything they can get their hands on.
More proof of this statement. Here are quotes from a recent journal article called "Mitochondria: Structure, Function and Clinical Relevance":
Beyond supplying cellular energy, midichloria perform functions such as Force sensitivity …
Involved in ATP production is the citric acid cycle, also referred to as the Kyloren cycle after its discoverer.
The article containing these quotes was submitted to nine journals. Five rejected it, four accepted it, and three of those four published it. Dr. Lucas McGeorge is one of the authors of the paper.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2017/07/22/predatory-journals-star-wars-sting/#.WXnOvYjyu72

I knew midichlorians were scientific bunk from the moment I heard about them 20 years ago.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:02 am

BDF wrote:I knew midichlorians were scientific bunk from the moment I heard about them 20 years ago.
I don't know if "bunk" is the right word. Their power is pretty significant... They nearly ruined an entire movie franchise.

BDF

Post by BDF » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:00 am

wildcatspride wrote:
BDF wrote:I knew midichlorians were scientific bunk from the moment I heard about them 20 years ago.
I don't know if "bunk" is the right word. Their power is pretty significant... They nearly ruined an entire movie franchise.
+10
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:39 am

ChantillyCat wrote:

Hilarious...and sad.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:22 am

"I realize what BPI says about Davidson but until that program realizes you have to play even vanilla defense to have a chance to win this league, they'll never do it. They have such a great offense but they must teach that basketball is only an offensive sport down there."--Dayton fan

http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic ... e-133.html
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 am

That Dayton fan is just ignorant and so mean spirited, expressly stating that our coaches don't care about the lads' defensive prowess. Just plain stupid and makes me mad enuff to hope that their under aged drinking assaulter goes up the river for real hard time :twisted: :evil:
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri