DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

42 Across
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Non-athletics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waitress

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waitress wrote:
Anybody know the cowriter?
CA, did you know Judge Fleming?

Tip well.
ChantillyCat

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, WC's and my matching analyses work for any positive odd number n. There's nothing special about 15 in that equation.

The general answer is x = ((n-1)/2)².

This also applies to even n, but you don't get integer values for x, obviously.
stevelee

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChantillyCat wrote:
Btw, WC's and my matching analyses work for any positive odd number n. There's nothing special about 15 in that equation.

The general answer is x = ((n-1)/2)².

This also applies to even n, but you don't get integer values for x, obviously.

Neat!
Johnston Gym

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waitress wrote:

A few years ago, Judge Fleming did a presentation over a reunion weekend on crosswords - I think he said he had 30+ published by the New York Times at that point, and many others published elsewhere. The presentation was fantastic - he went through the construction of a crossword using Davidson, Presbyterian, Wildcat, etc.

My wife and I are daily NYT crossword people. At that point, however, we only did Monday through Thursday - Monday is the easiest, and difficulty increases as the week goes on and we figured we couldn't finish any after a tough Thursday. Judge Fleming told us that if you can do a Thursday, you can do any of them. Thursday, Friday and Saturday are of equal difficulty, it's just that Thursday often has a trick (such as a rebus) or a theme, while Friday and Saturday are trick-free and themeless - just harder clues. Sunday is about equal in difficulty to Wednesday, but it is just a bigger puzzle and usually has a theme.

In the four or so years since then, we've done the puzzle first thing in the morning every day. The NYT crossword app keeps track of your stats, and I was recently heartbroken when our 335 day streak was broken because the app didn't recognize that we completed it on the phone rather than the iPad. Our old streaks prior to that were 187 days and 144 days, and I really wanted to get a full year.

Thanks to Judge Fleming for teaching us some of the crossword tricks that help make us the obsessive solvers we are today.
Waitress

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnston Gym wrote:
Waitress wrote:

A few years ago, Judge Fleming did a presentation over a reunion weekend on crosswords - I think he said he had 30+ published by the New York Times at that point, and many others published elsewhere. The presentation was fantastic - he went through the construction of a crossword using Davidson, Presbyterian, Wildcat, etc.

My wife and I are daily NYT crossword people. At that point, however, we only did Monday through Thursday - Monday is the easiest, and difficulty increases as the week goes on and we figured we couldn't finish any after a tough Thursday. Judge Fleming told us that if you can do a Thursday, you can do any of them. Thursday, Friday and Saturday are of equal difficulty, it's just that Thursday often has a trick (such as a rebus) or a theme, while Friday and Saturday are trick-free and themeless - just harder clues. Sunday is about equal in difficulty to Wednesday, but it is just a bigger puzzle and usually has a theme.

In the four or so years since then, we've done the puzzle first thing in the morning every day. The NYT crossword app keeps track of your stats, and I was recently heartbroken when our 335 day streak was broken because the app didn't recognize that we completed it on the phone rather than the iPad. Our old streaks prior to that were 187 days and 144 days, and I really wanted to get a full year.

Thanks to Judge Fleming for teaching us some of the crossword tricks that help make us the obsessive solvers we are today.
Very cool.

Tip well.
MLC67

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calculus delenda est

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men are willing to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell.
stevelee

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"delendus"
MLC67

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too brief Wink

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men are willing to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell.
cat44

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waitress wrote:
Waitress wrote:
CA, did you know Judge Fleming?

Vic was class of 73 but I believe he graduated with my class in 74. I pledged SAE, but after sophomore year did not do much with the E's. I think Vic was a also an E, but I did not hang out with him.
fbell74

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic Fleming graduated with the Class of '74. I think he was an English major. He was on the 8 College Exchange program for a term at Hollins College, together with Ted Ellett and Eric Mack, also the Class of 74.I was there for both terms for 1972-73.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Non-athletics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: