DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coaching Wish List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Women's Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredCat88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margarity on campus today. Glad our search is based on relatives and not an aggressive campaign to hire a coach.

If I am correct, 6 weeks have passed. Heard from an athlete that the head of the search committee wasn't on campus today for the visit.
MrMac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiredCat88 wrote:
Margarity on campus today. Glad our search is based on relatives and not an aggressive campaign to hire a coach.

Huh?
Derek Smith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiredCat is claiming that we are being lazy and have asked our men's basketball players to see if they know anyone who might be a coach. One of our men's players happens to be cousins with the current America East Coach of the Year/WBCA Divison I Coach of the Year finalist.
i77cat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach Magarity looks like a decent candidate. 111-100 record in a really bad conference. Her team was outstanding this year. I hear that one of our three finalists withdrew recently. If true, that leaves us with one candidate with head coaching experience and one without. Whoever we hire, I hope that she can recruit. And coach like crazy. A small fan base has become largely apathetic.
Derek Smith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sources, both on and off campus, have confirmed that Fralick and Magarity are still both being considered as of earlier this afternoon. Whether or not they are interviewing elsewhere is another story.

I do not believe that there is currently a 3rd candidate scheduled for an interview. I believe that Fralick and Magarity are the "finalists" at the moment.
citycat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Hampshire's men's program has never been to the NCAA Tournament. The state is not a basketball hotbed. Former Furman coach Jeff Jackson was the coach at New Hampshire and was discharged before coaching at Furman and being discharged there. The America East is a low major conference. Vermont dominates the AE in men's basketball.

A 111-100 record at UNH may be the best one can expect. Coach K had a losing season his last year at Army before coming to Duke. (PS. Don't hire a football coach who was winless in his 6th or 7th year at a school.)

If the finalists are Magarity and Fralick, the finalists are college head coaches. None of our three previous coaches had been a college head coach before we hired him/her.
i77cat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Fralick is still a candidate, that is great. The rumor I'd heard said she's withdrawn. Some rumors are only that.
TiredCat88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Smith wrote:
TiredCat is claiming that we are being lazy and have asked our men's basketball players to see if they know anyone who might be a coach. One of our men's players happens to be cousins with the current America East Coach of the Year/WBCA Divison I Coach of the Year finalist.

Not implying that we asked our players for a coach. The relationship did help the resume to get on the right desk. I am implying that our search has been far from spectacular.
MrMac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Smith wrote:

Yes. That is what I thought TC was saying. Statement above clears that up, I guess?
citycat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Hampshire was #90 in the women's RPI this year. That would have been 3rd in the A10.

New Hampshire was 15-1 in the America East regular season. They were first by 3 games. Their conference loss was to #100 Albany. They were upset in the semi-finals of their conference tournament and then lost to Harvard in the Women's NIT. One of their other losses was to #14 Kentucky.

If we could hire either Magarity or Fralick, that would be an impressive step. Magarity has won in the regular season at a school with little/distant tradition in a low major conference, similar to another hoops coach we know. Fralick has won two championships in D2 and has D1 experience as an assistant.

We're probably not getting Dawn Staley to leave her current position and scoot up I-77 120 miles. Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good.
i77cat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if she applied or not, but it is nice to see that a D3 coach with over 30 years experience and a whole ton of wins recently joined our message board family. Welcome, Coach.
stevelee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard there is a third name in the mix and got the impression that it could be someone not mentioned above. Context suggested that the search is limited to folks with head coach experience.
WildCock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citycat wrote:
We're probably not getting Dawn Staley to leave her current position and scoot up I-77 120 miles. Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good.

FYI, Coach Staley's contract was recently extended through the 2024-25 season. In 2017-18 she will earn $1.45M; the buyout for her contract is $3.5M. She will be over $2M by the time the contract expires (if USC is dumb enough to let it expire).

NOTE: Early in her tenure with the Cocks, even some local sportscasters tended to call her Coach Stanley. No one makes that mistake anymore.
slowcat95

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe following Cincinnati's lead could help sweeten the deal?

https://sports.good.is/articles/university-of-cincinnati

Not that we're looking necessarily for an up-and-coming head coach, but policies like Cincy's could really help up attract and retain good assistants in all sports.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11199-017-0761-z
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I'm counting correctly, tomorrow is day 50 since this job became available.

Time's a wastin'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Women's Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: