DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strategic plan for Davidson athletics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Davidson sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stevelee



Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 8170
Location: Davidson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: needs Reply with quote

MrMac wrote:
Appropriate, since yesterday was Epiphany Day.


A high school classmate posted this on Facebook:

_________________
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stevelee



Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 8170
Location: Davidson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catnhat wrote:
There is a Will DuBose scholarship fund for baseball. Some former players started it to honor Will after he'd worked with baseball for a long time. Will started at DC either my sophomore or junior year ('81-'82 or '82-'83) and is still going strong.


Does anybody know the status of that scholarship fund? I certainly have no problem with honoring Will. But I want to raise a strategic question. Let's say that collectively the accretion of our small to moderate donations would add up to something noticeable, how might that best affect the number of scholarships given? Is it quite possible that if we doubled the DuBose fund or added a new fund, might baseball still wind up giving 2.5 scholarships? What might be the threshold for moving that needle?

Let's say that somehow we scrounged up $1M. Would that mean they'd still have just 2.5 scholarships, but two of them would have names instead of just one?
_________________
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildcatspride



Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 1814
Location: Bath, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevelee wrote:
catnhat wrote:
There is a Will DuBose scholarship fund for baseball. Some former players started it to honor Will after he'd worked with baseball for a long time. Will started at DC either my sophomore or junior year ('81-'82 or '82-'83) and is still going strong.


Does anybody know the status of that scholarship fund? I certainly have no problem with honoring Will. But I want to raise a strategic question. Let's say that collectively the accretion of our small to moderate donations would add up to something noticeable, how might that best affect the number of scholarships given? Is it quite possible that if we doubled the DuBose fund or added a new fund, might baseball still wind up giving 2.5 scholarships? What might be the threshold for moving that needle?

Let's say that somehow we scrounged up $1M. Would that mean they'd still have just 2.5 scholarships, but two of them would have names instead of just one?


I was lucky enough to work with the scholarship during my time at Davidson. I have been gone for a while now so I cannot speak to where the numbers actually lie, but I was there to see the guys take the scholarship from an annual scholarship to an endowed scholarship, which is a huge accomplishment. Baseball has very strange rules in terms of scholarship awards due to some ways big time programs have awarded scholarships in the past. But, the endowment goal for the DuBose scholarship was to endow a quarter of a scholarship as that is the minimum award in baseball. Now that has been accomplished, the guys are looking at making a full scholarship. The endowment has been supplemented by the annual award which equates to about another quarter of a scholarship (I'm ballparking a bit here).

In essence, baseball now has about 3 scholarships to give out. If not for the guys who started and supported the DuBose scholarship, it would be 2.5 scholarships, meaning that the scholarship is additive to the budget.

It is also worth noting that while the DuBose scholarship story is a fantastic one, it is not the only nor the biggest philanthropically funded scholarship for baseball.

Again, my numbers may be slightly out of date, but the support of baseball from some of the names you have heard and some of the names you have not has been fantastic, and I believe we have seen the results begin to manifest themselves on the field.

I hope that answered your question. If not, please PM me.
_________________
Davidson shot through the college hoops world in a flash in 2008. But long before it did, its coach poured his life's work into the place. That work is ongoing, and McKillop is as good now as he's ever been.

-- Eamonn Brennan, ESPN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
stevelee



Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 8170
Location: Davidson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In essence, baseball now has about 3 scholarships to give out. If not for the guys who started and supported the DuBose scholarship, it would be 2.5 scholarships, meaning that the scholarship is additive to the budget.


That's exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks.

Given the low level of trust for the athletic (and sometimes otherwise) administration from people (knowledgeable and otherwise) on this board, I wanted some clarification. (Maybe I butted heads with the state legislature too often. And, yes, city, that was more than five years ago.)

So far the only money I've designated toward baseball has been current-year funding. As I readjust my charitable giving this spring, I will include the DuBose scholarship in the mix. In my mind I will be honoring not only Will, but also those players who have brought the fund to this point.

I'm basically rather stingy, so I want my charitable giving to go where I think it can have the most impact. If I think I can save a family from malaria for $10, that's my kind of charity. In a couple years I will have paid off my Vance Center pledge (well, hopefully not including the estate part), so I see that as a future opportunity for redirection, and not entirely to the DAF components, given my priorities.

I expect that this kind of information would be helpful for all of us who prefer lighting a little candle to cursing the darkness.
_________________
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildcatspride



Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 1814
Location: Bath, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all you do Steve.
_________________
Davidson shot through the college hoops world in a flash in 2008. But long before it did, its coach poured his life's work into the place. That work is ongoing, and McKillop is as good now as he's ever been.

-- Eamonn Brennan, ESPN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
stevelee



Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 8170
Location: Davidson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So far the only money I've designated toward baseball has been current-year funding. As I readjust my charitable giving this spring, I will include the DuBose scholarship in the mix. In my mind I will be honoring not only Will, but also those players who have brought the fund to this point.


Bump, in part to remind myself, and partly to encourage others to do likewise. The current baseball winning streak should make us want to express tangibly our pride in these guys even more.

The next month will be a blur for me, from jet lag to unconsciousness. I usually pay my Vance Center pledge in May, and then apportion out odds and ends in June to finish giving for the college's fiscal year. If my mind is working, that will include the DuBose scholarship fund.
_________________
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Davidson sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


DavidsonCats.com is a privately run online forum which has no direct or implied official relationship to or endorsement by Davidson College.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group