DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looks like spring game will be April 8th.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never tell how we look at these "scrimmages". It did look like our QBs threw the ball a big tighter and with more velocity. Rowell looks healthy. Numbers are up.
TexCat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average size and speed of the players appears greater than when I played...and we were pretty damn good, albeit against a less challenging full schedule. Some of our OL are really large in comparison to the past, I don't know whether they can block, but they look like great American meatheads. Our young skill position guys look very athletic (Will Wicks and Khaleel Shaw) and Stockton Maguire appears like the real deal and could be poised for a breakout sophomore campaign if he can stay healthy. Seniors WR Cam Cheuvront and WR Jaris Scott are very solid, Cheuvront reminds me of Julian Edelman and Jaris reminds me of baby AJ Green.

We won't know how much or if we have have improved until the bullets start flying in August, but I'm optimistic that we are slowly heading in the right direction.

Furthermore, this team could have easily gone 5-6 last season (remember we gave away the Stetson, Valpo, and Butler games at the end) and if they had indeed pulled those off....the entire tenor and tone surrounding this program would be much more positive.

Obviously picking up Drake and Dayton on the PFL slate is a bummer, but we almost beat Dayton in a quintillion OT thriller the last time we played them at home....and we appear more talented now.

Perhaps this is the year we get the 4-5 wins that we easily could have had last year.

Despite all the angst, I assure you that the DGC is throwing a lot of time and money towards making our program more competitive. It would be nice if the school would pitch in more $$ as well as opposed to relying overwhelmingly on football alums. At least they worked with the coaches to adjust the admissions decision/financial aid timeline for recruited football players. We are just now starting to see the impact of that significant change. For decades we were fighting with both hands behind our back, now I think we have one fist free.

Regardless, structurally and financially, the program is in infinitely better shape than it was, we just haven't seen the results in the W-L column just yet. The DGC is going to keep grinding just like the players and coaches.

Perhaps I'm crazy, but I think we are going to upset a few people next season, our luck has to change at some point. It's easy to piss and moan and be negative all of the time, I prefer to look at the bright side, we have some solid players on this team. They are great kids and are busting their ass and deserve our support.

Go Cats
"Gentlemen, all this stuff you've heard about Davidson not wanting to fight - wanting to stay out of the Final Four, is a lot of horse dung. Wildcats traditionally love to fight. All real Wildcats love the sting of battle."-Gen. George S. Patton
captneff26

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience. Building a program from the bottom up is laborious and time consuming, and it involves far more than what can be seen to the naked eye. Like a nice looking building that is being constructed, the outside ain't much to look at until the foundation is done. I believe it will get momentum. I'm trying to stay positive despite decades of experience to the contrary. Perhaps that makes me foolish, but what the heck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: