DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coaches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigmouth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Coaches Reply with quote

Anyone hear about the new RB coach and/or OC?
wildcatfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the new corners coach?
AtlCatFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but looks like coach Sean Fisher has joined the Indiana Hoosier staff as an offensive analyst.

Rumor has it that Coach Nichols will let the OL coach be the OC.
wildcatfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be too pessimistic, but that didn't work too well the last time he tried that move.
i77cat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2017/3/15/football-nichols-announces-three-new-hires-to-2017-staff.aspx
wildcatfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo, Coach Nichols hired
1) a D3 coach to coach QB
2) a HS coach to coach RB
3) a former WR to coach CB
and 4) promoted the OL coach to OC.

Is anyone else wondering what in the world is going on?

BTW - Jeff McDaniels is a great guy and loves DC. Too bad his QB brother did not accept his offer to play for the Cats.
captneff26

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildcatfan wrote:
Soooo, Coach Nichols hired
1) a D3 coach to coach QB
2) a HS coach to coach RB
3) a former WR to coach CB
and 4) promoted the OL coach to OC.

Is anyone else wondering what in the world is going on?

BTW - Jeff McDaniels is a great guy and loves DC. Too bad his QB brother did not accept his offer to play for the Cats.

I'm not sure that is quite fair, honestly. While I have no knowledge about any of these coaches, I don't know that just citing those backgrounds as proof of their inadequacy is appropriate.

1) Many current major college and even NFL coaches once coached D3 football -- it's not proof that a coach is not up to the task of moving to a higher level.

2) Same comment as 1).

3) Nothing unusual about WR coaches becoming DB coaches and vice versa. I was a college CB and have coached both WRs and DBs at times over the years. Frankly, it can be an advantage. They are often the same kinds of kids, and having intimate knowledge about the coaching counters and methods of the players your position players will face is very helpful.

4) Not sure why being an OL coach would make one a bad OC. The OL is the engine that makes an offense go, and OL is probably the most cerebral position group on the field.

Let's face it -- it's difficult for a program like Davidson to draw experienced and established coaches, so the most likely pool is young "up and comers" who are enthusiastic and motivated coaches. Perhaps that's what happened here.
Waitress

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zetts was a Zip.

Tip well.
SandyCarnegie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Coaches Reply with quote

I do know Shankweiler's son, Kort, applied. He had some good credentials played at East Carolina under Skip Holtz...2007 was assistant coach at the United States Coast Guard Academy... two seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Michigan State worked with the OL ... running backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Central Michigan University... Chippewas would finished with a victory in the Little Caesars Bowl ... quarterbacks and wide receivers coach on the FIU.
wildcatfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that we are continually going through a revolving door of assistant coaches and we are continually behind the 8-ball when it comes to experience on our coaching staff. Maybe the concern/criticism is unfair, but the frustration level with the program is certainly deserved.

How is the program going to move forward when we lose coaches every year and replace them with people that have less experience than the ones that they replaced? No wonder kids, parents, alumni, and donors are frustrated with the program.

Insanity = continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results
SandyCarnegie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Coaches Reply with quote

WildcatFan I believe your criticism is well founded because it is based on historical fact. At one time someone suggested trying to see if some of alumni who had gotten out of the rat race of D-I (FCS and FBS = scholarship programs) would be worth pursuing. I would say go for it but you have to have a receptive audience and I have no way to gauge that factor from the coaching or administrative side. If DC ever intends to truly be competitve, we have to think outside of the box (a box we have created).
Wildcatfan I used to be insane but gave it up 25 years ago.
Waitress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Coaches Reply with quote

SandyCarnegie wrote:
I do know Shankweiler's son, Kort, applied. He had some good credentials played at East Carolina under Skip Holtz...2007 was assistant coach at the United States Coast Guard Academy... two seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Michigan State worked with the OL ... running backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Central Michigan University... Chippewas would finished with a victory in the Little Caesars Bowl ... quarterbacks and wide receivers coach on the FIU.
Not enough $?

Tip well.
i77cat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some would say fear of job security.
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we recruited Kort as a baseball/football combo player. We wanted tuition - he got to play at ECU for free and had a nice football career with the Pirates.

The former coach at Mt. Tabor is intriguing. He may know his stuff.
85Wildcatsky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You attract coaches because of

1. Culture

2. Money

3. Leadership

4. Success

5. Career enhancement

Not necessarily in that order.

Currently Davidson football would be a tough sell. You are going to have a tough time attracting or holding on to coaches if we can't win games. This problem would also exist in recruiting for talent outside of the football field. The leader has a 3-4 year window or less to make documented success changes or you hit an "expiration date". Coach needs to win this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: