DavidsonCats.com Forum Index DavidsonCats.com
Discuss Davidson College Athletics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DU's response to fake news

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Non-athletics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowcat95

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: DU's response to fake news Reply with quote

https://www.edx.org/course/story-fake-news-davidsonx-davnowxfakenews#!

Quote:
Course Description

Fake news is a real problem. From allegations of election fraud to Pizzagate, fake news saturates our newsfeeds-- and our national discourse. Some say it has compromised the authority of journalism, others say writing fake news stories has brought them a fistful of money. What do we make of this phenomenon? Why is fake news so prevalent these days? And how should we respond?

In this 2-week course, we’ll pose these questions (and more) to scholars, working journalists, and media pundits in order to get a hold on this complicated issue. Join a vibrant community of critical thinkers who are interested in exploring these questions together. Share your experience and see how it compares to others around the world.

This course is part of a broader series from Davidson College, called Davidson Now. We seek to explore critical issues and engage in honest and courageous conversations.

MLC67

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A course needed to get a hold on this complicated issue? Hello Rolling Eyes Falsehoods put out as real news - BAD. Best Answer: Fake news should be exposed as such by true news reports, as truth always can shove out lies and distortions in the free marketplace of ideas, coupled with the retroactive voiding of the faker's DU diploma. Wink
stevelee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Research confirms that doesn't work.
MLC67

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe Fake Research, and efforts by authoritarians to censure "fake" news is a cure far worse than the disease - Freedom now, freedom forever Shocked Evil or Very Mad
Dr. Bliss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this course fits right in with Davidson's academic mission as I see it--to promote and reinforce critical thinking.
MLC67

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine - but how many days of the two weeks are spent proving that fake news is fake, or is just contrary to your preferred narrative?
captneff26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLC67 wrote:
Fine - but how many days of the two weeks are spent proving that fake news is fake, or is just contrary to your preferred narrative?

Insightful article that touches on that very question.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/445768/harvard-fake-news-guide-proves-leftist-media-bias

"Here’s the reality: We’re not all going to be able to agree on narrative. But we should strive to find the facts we can discuss together."

I have noticed the irony that the loudest screamers about fake news are often the largest purveyors of fake news. They seem to have not yet recognized the irony, however.

I wish I could have participated in the Davidson Now course. Sounded interesting.
WildCock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captneff26 wrote:
I have noticed the irony that the loudest screamers about fake news are often the largest purveyors of fake news. They seem to have not yet recognized the irony, however.

Perhaps an even greater irony: I agree with this statement completely.
wildcatspride

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLC67 wrote:

In this context, "Fake News" means internet hoaxes. You can't agree or disagree with an internet hoax.

I guess you could have some compassion for that Nigerian Prince we keep hearing from.
Davidson shot through the college hoops world in a flash in 2008. But long before it did, its coach poured his life's work into the place. That work is ongoing, and McKillop is as good now as he's ever been.

-- Eamonn Brennan, ESPN
MLC67

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCS: Would that the progressive campaign to stifle free speech and First Amendment rights in these efforts to ban Fake News were truly targeting exclusively "internet hoaxes". Please provide us with the definitive definition, and source thereof, of Fake News as being hoaxes disseminated on the world wide web.

As to African royalty, be they prince, princess or unaligned, I am generally sympathetic to their legitimate need to shield their abundant riches from confiscatory taxes imposed by their home governments, but have yet to avail myself of these opportunities to provide a safe haven for cash transfers here. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DavidsonCats.com Forum Index -> Non-athletics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: