It has come to this - Camelot is Gone

Feel free to discuss Davidson issues not related to athletics. Please use decorum and good judgment.
MLC67

It has come to this - Camelot is Gone

Post by MLC67 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:19 pm

College compelled all student athletes to attend a course entitled “All Whites are Racists”. Three hours on a Sunday afternoon. No words!
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

citycat

Re: It has come to this - Camelot is Gone

Post by citycat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:30 pm

Why just athletes?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:34 pm

Clever title.

A month late, though. Time now for All Men Are Sexists.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:02 pm

This is not entirely accurate. It wasn't a course, it was a movie, and the title was "I'm not Racist...Am I?" According to the Charlotte Observer, it does include "a nearly 5-minute clip from the film that showed antiracism consultant Justin Freitas, with the nonprofit organization Undoing Racism, explaining to the students how to interpret and define what racism is." During this part of the 90-minute movie (which I have not seen), Freitas asserts his opinion that all white people are racist. There is obviously much more to this movie, but that one scene seems to be drawing the most ire. The movie was released in 2014, and it has been viewed at hundreds, if not thousands, of schools, churches, and community groups all over the country. I think what made it controversial at Davidson was the mandatory attendance for a targeted audience (athletes), and I think that is a fair criticism. I do not think it portends the end of Camelot. I would be much more concerned if Davidson institutionally avoided a film like this.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 44976.html

Here is the Home Page for the film: https://notracistmovie.com/
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:54 pm

I think “Judgment at Nuremberg” was shown when I was a student. Nobody objected to that, as best I recall. Times have changed.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

2008wildcat

Post by 2008wildcat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:22 pm

Here is some additional context on this matter. https://x.com/ijbailey/status/1765134849088626734?s=61

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:23 pm

2008wildcat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:22 pm
Here is some additional context on this matter. https://x.com/ijbailey/status/1765134849088626734?s=61
Very revealing thread from a Davidson professor. I was also able to open and read his opinion piece from the Observer, but for those who are blocked by the paywall, the opinion piece is a condensation of Professor Bailey's lengthy "X" thread linked above. I did find this paragraph from the opinion piece interesting, though.
A couple of weeks ago, as students were leaving my Debate & Deliberation class, I heard a couple of them whispering: “That was the hardest thing I ever had to do.” It came at the end of an intense exercise in which I forced — yes, mandated — that pro-choice students argue in favor of pro-life policies. It wasn’t to convince them to adopt a pro-life mindset, but to force them to consider the very complex issue from all sides.
Thanks for posting this link.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:44 am

Thanks, Doc69. That last exercise sounds as if it represents the essence of what a Debate and Deliberation course (indeed, a liberal arts education) should be focused.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:19 am

Ok then, I stand corrected, this one day “course” consisted of a mandatory movie and lengthy discussion thereafter. Inasmuch as the entire point of this presentation was all whites are racist that lie might as well have been its title. Now, this malignant premise is founded on the precept that a white power structure rules the country to the oppression of the black population. Tell that BS to Barack Obama, Colon Powell or Condelisa Rice.

It is one thing to have a debate on contrary good faith contentions, e.g. pro-abortion vs. pro-life, it is quite another to sponsor a complete falsehood, without any rebuttal presented. This is not education, it is indoctrination.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:31 am

MLC67 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:19 am
...the precept that a white power structure rules the country to the oppression of the black population. Tell that BS to Barack Obama, Colon Powell or Condelisa Rice.
Yes. The country is founded and continues to be shaped by a white power structure. Trotting out 3 exceptions--particularly 3 who are of mixed race--as evidence to the contrary is evidence of nothing but a refusal to accept how you have been rewarded by this same white power structure.
she/hers

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:39 am

Ok then, tell that to Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan or Stephen Curry. Whatever “power structure” exists in America it does not systematically oppress black people.

Esse Quam Videri

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:41 am

Slowcat. As they say in NJ/NY, "How ya doin'?"

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:51 am

I haven’t received any spam from the free speech group saying that this film should have been censored. At least not yet.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:53 am

MLC67 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:19 am
Ok then, I stand corrected, this one day “course” consisted of a mandatory movie and lengthy discussion thereafter. Inasmuch as the entire point of this presentation was all whites are racist that lie might as well have been its title. Now, this malignant premise is founded on the precept that a white power structure rules the country to the oppression of the black population. Tell that BS to Barack Obama, Colon Powell or Condelisa Rice.

It is one thing to have a debate on contrary good faith contentions, e.g. pro-abortion vs. pro-life, it is quite another to sponsor a complete falsehood, without any rebuttal presented. This is not education, it is indoctrination.
Until you've seen the film in its entirety, you might consider sparing us your interpretation of its "entire point."

Her name is Condoleezza. His name is Colin Powell.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:17 am

How did I do on Barack’s name, some petty nick picking there. Inasmuch as you implicitly seek to rebut the clear point of the film being all whites are racist, why not elaborate on what is the point in your opinion.

Esse Quam Videri