New rules

Please join us in discussing Davidson's 17 other varsity teams.
stevelee

New rules

Post by stevelee » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:35 pm

NCAA volleyball rule changes:
Referees are now allowed to issue red cards to the home team in cases where spectators get too close to the play area and the home team does nothing to resolve the issue
Interference above the net is now challengeable by video review
All protests against referee decisions must now be resolved during the match in question
Small, snug-fitting nose rings and ear cuffs have been added to the list of acceptable jewelry that can be worn during a match
Each team is now allowed to designate two liberos for each set of the match. Only one libero would be allowed on the court at a time, and the libero would be allowed to serve in one position
Players may now contact the ball more than once on any single attempt on a team's second contact so long as the ball is played to a teammate
The last change has caused the most controversy.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Re: New rules

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:50 pm

stevelee wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:35 pm
NCAA volleyball rule changes:
Referees are now allowed to issue red cards to the home team in cases where spectators get too close to the play area and the home team does nothing to resolve the issue
Interference above the net is now challengeable by video review
All protests against referee decisions must now be resolved during the match in question
Small, snug-fitting nose rings and ear cuffs have been added to the list of acceptable jewelry that can be worn during a match
Each team is now allowed to designate two liberos for each set of the match. Only one libero would be allowed on the court at a time, and the libero would be allowed to serve in one position
Players may now contact the ball more than once on any single attempt on a team's second contact so long as the ball is played to a teammate
The last change has caused the most controversy.
I dunno, the nose rings sound pretty radical.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

dorp

Post by dorp » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:13 am

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:50 pm
I dunno, the nose rings sound pretty radical.
Steve Lee previously had to remove his before attending a game.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:48 pm

My friend in California was a pastor in churches in the NYC area and then became a Navy chaplain for some years. When he got out of the Navy, he went to law school and then practiced mostly in Long Beach and Riverside. After he retired from that, he took drum lessons and started playing in a punk band. I knew all that. Still it was a surprise when he met me at LAX when I was visiting him for a week on my way back from the Diamondhead Classic.

When he met me, he had his Mohawk spiked and a ring in his nose. Very few guys in our age bracket can grow a Mohawk. He relaxed that look a bit during the visit, but kept the nose ring. He wasn’t wearing it back in the summer when we were traveling in Norway and England, but may have put it in for the punk festival he attended in Blackpool, as I headed to to London for a few days. He didn’t wear it to supper when he, his daughter, and I all happened to be in London the same evening before flying on to different destinations. He no longer had the black Mohawk, but had thinning hair dyed blond.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ