A familiar name in a faraway place

2017 A-10 Champs! 2017 Chapel Hill Regional Champs!
citycat

A familiar name in a faraway place

Post by citycat » Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:09 pm

Tyler Locklear, a former VCU infielder, has been called up to the Seattle Mariners. There's an article on the ESPN website that says the Mariners are going to waive staring 1B Ty France and make Locklear their starting 1B.

Locklear is from suburban Baltimore, MD. He attended Archbishop Curley, the kind of school Davidson recruits, or tries to recruit, many basketball players from. His father is from NC, as are many Locklears.

We have 7ish baseball scholarships. It might be smart to give a player as good as Tyler Locklear a full ride, or enough of a scholarship to make it attractive for him to come to Davidson. It would pay off in publicity to have a player in the major leagues.

i77cat

Re: A familiar name in a faraway place

Post by i77cat » Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:30 pm

Good for him. He's the best baseball player I've seen play at Davidson in many years. Ball sounded different off of his bat. That's a pretty quick trip for him through the minors.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:27 am

We went into the 2022 A10 Tournament, played at Wilson Field, as the regular season champions and the #1 seed. We had a bye through to the 2nd round, where we met #2 VCU. Locklear hit a 3-run home run in the 3rd off our ace Blake Hely, and VCU never trailed. He finished 3-3 along with a walk and HBP, and 3 RBIs and 3 runs scored. He pretty much destroyed us. Michael Carico was the conference POY that year, and deserved it.

Locklear was fun to watch. I hope he does well.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:13 am

Carico deserved POY in 2022. Locklear was FOY and POY in 2021. Locklear was the better player. MLB knows it. Carico was drafted in the 5th round, Locklear went in the 2nd.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge