Hoyt Wilhelm

2017 A-10 Champs! 2017 Chapel Hill Regional Champs!
stevelee

Hoyt Wilhelm

Post by stevelee » Sun May 26, 2024 12:36 am

My friend in Kansas posted on Facebook that Hoyt Wilhelm applied to and was admitted to Davidson, but chose to go for a pro career instead. He grew up on a farm in the area and played for Cornelius High School.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Re: Hoyt Wilhelm

Post by i77cat » Sun May 26, 2024 8:26 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoyt_Wilhelm

Easily the most famous of the Mooresville Moors. Growing up, I heard lots of stories about Mr. Wilhelm. How many guys fought in the Battle of the Bulge, no-hit the Yankees, and pitched until they were nearly 50?
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sun May 26, 2024 9:00 am

Apparently one. 😃

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun May 26, 2024 1:50 pm

His SABR biography says he chose between turning pro and going to Davidson University, but he didn't pitch in organized baseball until 1942 with the Mooresville Moors. Maybe he pitched in semi-pro baseball from '39-'41.

The Moors played in the ballpark in south Mooresville where the collegiate summer league games are played. That ballpark has seen several improvements in the last few years.

Wilhelm led the NL and the AL in ERA in different years. The year he led the AL in ERA he was primarily a starter.

The White Sox staff in the 1960s featured several knuckleball pitchers: Wilhelm, Eddie Fisher, and Wilbur Wood. Wood was converted from relieving to starting and was having a great career until his kneecap was shattered by a line drive.

PDX77cat was told Wilhelm would come to Davidson basketball games in Johnston Gym if we were playing while he was visiting during the winter. PDX pointed out Tommy Helms leaving the press box after one game in the mid-1970s.