A-10 Tourney Chances

2017 A-10 Champs! 2017 Chapel Hill Regional Champs!
Corpulent Cat

A-10 Tourney Chances

Post by Corpulent Cat » Sun May 05, 2024 3:38 pm

Slim slim slim. We are 4 games back of the last tourney spot with 6 to play. We would pretty much need to sweep both of our last opponents and probably need some help as well.

Frankly, we are tied for last in the A10 standings and have the worst RPI in the A10 (and 2nd worst in NC).

citycat

Re: A-10 Tourney Chances

Post by citycat » Sun May 05, 2024 3:50 pm

Rhode Island had 2 outs and no one on base in the top of the 9th. A hitter got a single and then a pinch hitter clubbed a 2 run home run.

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, they're not a good hitting team. They were averaging less than 4 runs per game until they scored 19 in game 2 and 8 in game 3 of this series.

If we were still in the SoCon, we'd be in the running for the Barrett-Bonner Sportsmanship Award for being such congenial hosts.

Bill Almon was the Padres' starting SS until they discovered they had Ozzie Smith in their minor league system.

In 1978, Almon became a utility player. Gaylord Perry, who won the Cy Young Award that year, questioned why the Padres didn't try Almon at 3rd.

Almon's defensive metrics at SS and 2B weren't great.

Two Hall of Famers who were born in Rhode Island were Napoleon Lajoie and Gabby Hartnett. They played in the distant past.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun May 05, 2024 4:55 pm

We should always make the A10 tournament. We should occasionally win it. It is a weak league and we have the best weather/earliest start in the A10. We are under-performing.

I hear that in the off-season we are pulling the grass out of the outfield, laser leveling the outfield, and replanting. That's nice. We're fixing a problem, but it isn't one of the problems that had us playing such poor baseball.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

ac3983

Post by ac3983 » Thu May 09, 2024 1:11 pm

With the increase in scholarships greatly compared to 15 years ago, and the dramatic decrease in SOS and conference quality, there's no reason for Davidson Baseball to not be in the top 2-3 every single year. Sorry, but that is true. The facility looks great though and I enjoy making it out when I can.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu May 09, 2024 3:47 pm

I'd settle for top 4 every year and win the tournament every 6 years. We are very, very, very far from that. And there is no indication that we're headed toward that. In fact, we're headed briskly away.

We're 12-1 against the Bonnies. We must sweep this series.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri May 10, 2024 7:06 pm