Up next: HPU

2017 A-10 Champs! 2017 Chapel Hill Regional Champs!
i77cat

Up next: HPU

Post by i77cat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:23 pm

Tuesday, our house, go Cats. A win gets us to .500 on the season.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Re: Up next: HPU

Post by Bill Cobb » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:47 pm

High Point is #150 in the RPI - we are #230 something but it keeps moving around a bit. They are 4-5 in Quad 1/2 games and 4-2 against A-10 opponents this year.

A win vs the Panthers would be a good momentum builder for the first A-10 series against St Joseph's.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:48 pm

Check that. We are #255 in the RPI. Sweeping Siena dropped us 20 odd spots.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:32 pm

Bill Cobb wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:48 pm
Just playing Siena probably dropped us 40 spots. Sweeping them at least gained some of those back. Let's don't schedule the Bad News Saints again.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:37 pm

Isaac Fix has been our mid-week starter, but he pitched the 6th inning tonight. Ordinarily, I would presume that he would not be available against HPU, but he only threw 8 pitches to get those 3 outs.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:01 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:32 pm
Bill Cobb wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:48 pm
Just playing Siena probably dropped us 40 spots. Sweeping them at least gained some of those back. Let's don't schedule the Bad News Saints again.
Siena was 294 earlier today. Richmond is 291. A10 is pretty bad baseball. If we want to be good, we have to play better teams in our OOC weekend series. If we just want a job-saving record against sorry teams, carry on.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:32 pm

I hope our pitching continues to improve. Maybe we’ll figure out what we’re doing and who needs to be on the field to do it for conference play.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:45 pm

I see signs that we're getting better. With the exception of Champey's disastrous outing yesterday, our pitching was pretty sharp this weekend, not in the sense of sweeping the #294 team in D1, but in the sense of throwing strikes and avoiding free passes by walks or HBP. Against Siena, pitchers not named Champey had only 6 walks, 1 hit batter, and 1 WP in 20 innings. The team has had only 1 error in the last 4 games, and that one was harmless. We've also successfully pulled off 4 sacrifice bunts, including 2 successful squeeze bunts, and we stole a bunch of bases. The only blemish in the Charlotte game was the 10 walks, but we managed to survive that. I'm encouraged.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

And I might add in Champey's defense, he looked really good against Charlotte, a far better team than Siena.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:56 pm

We’re not going to get an at large bid. We have to build for the conference tournament. If we do well in conference we’ll get a more favorable draw.

Right now I don’t see enough pitching depth to do well in tournament play. Maybe we’ll find/develop some by then.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:19 pm

Weather delay at Wilson Field. It's not raining in Concord, but I heard some distant thunder 15-20 minutes ago, and it sounded like it was off the the west. Radar looks like Davidson will have a clear spell from about 6:30 - 9:00, so if there is no more thunder, we should be able to get in an official game. Go Cats.

1962cat

Post by 1962cat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:52 pm

Game underway on +. No score going to B2. Baerman on bump.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:02 pm

It was sprinkling so mildly that my 91-yr old mom and I were shopping until a few minutes ago. Most of my driveway is damp. The Weather Channel app says Davidson got a total of 0".

Zipping through the replay, Shaggy hit a 1-out triple in the first. We stranded him. We have something cooking in the 2nd with a lead-off walk. Then a pop-up. Then Dougie ripped a single down the right field line. And ran himself into an out at second. Dumb base running. They hit Cotrone to put us at the corners. Rice grounded out. Not a great start.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:23 pm

I agree with the young woman in the booth: Alino's is really good. Tonight is one of those where other voices are coming through loud and clear over Sam's mic. Always to nice to hear JP and Dick.

Still scoreless with 2 outs in the top of the 4th. Pitching change.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:32 pm

Starter left when he walked a batter with 2 outs. Reliever gives up single, walk, single. 2-0, 2 on. Single, corners, 3-0. Finally got the 3rd out.