up next: at Tennessee Tech

2017 A-10 Champs! 2017 Chapel Hill Regional Champs!
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

up next: at Tennessee Tech

Post by Bill Cobb » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:00 am

Cats travel to Cookeville coming off a solid performance against NCA&T. Doubleheader today at 2pm and 5pm and a single game on Sunday at 2pm. We swept TTU in three games in Davidson last year.

The Cats are 6-10 with an RPI of 226. Tennessee Tech is 10-7 (9-5) at home with an RPI of 260 (absolutely terrible schedule). We are 0-3 against Q1/Q2 teams and they are 0-6.

Long ass drive over the mountains.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Re: up next: at Tennessee Tech

Post by Bill Cobb » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:22 pm

I can't get my Live Stats to work. Keeps recycling to the same Davidson batter in the top of the first. Everything else on the computer is working fine.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:33 pm

Bill Cobb wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:22 pm
I can't get my Live Stats to work. Keeps recycling to the same Davidson batter in the top of the first. Everything else on the computer is working fine.
0-0 top of the second. No.5, Noah somebody just hit a triple. Coming through on ESPN+.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:53 pm

TTU says Davidson won the first in 10 innings, 6-4.

Second:
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/mobile/?id=507436I
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:40 pm

Both games were supposed to be on ESPN+, but Tenn Tech evidently wasn't able to deliver. I tried to access through ESPN+ homepage, Davidson Baseball web site, and Tennessee Tech Baseball web site, and none of those links opened the broadcast. LiveStats says we got blown out in Game 2. Down 5-2 in the bottom of the 7th, and gave up 7 more runs to end the game on the mercy rule, 12-2. Our pitching was ineffective.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:45 pm

I've had trouble with the Davidson website all day. They may be having issues. I had to go to the TTU website to pull up Live Stats.

Our pen was awful in game two.

TTU had zero walks in the second game.

Cats have a good chance in picking up a series win tomorrow.
Crash Davis

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:41 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:40 pm
Both games were supposed to be on ESPN+, but Tenn Tech evidently wasn't able to deliver. I tried to access through ESPN+ homepage, Davidson Baseball web site, and Tennessee Tech Baseball web site, and none of those links opened the broadcast. LiveStats says we got blown out in Game 2. Down 5-2 in the bottom of the 7th, and gave up 7 more runs to end the game on the mercy rule, 12-2. Our pitching was ineffective.
When I posted, I was getting the game just fine via ESPN+. I left to run some errands and didn’t try tuning in after I got back, so I don’t know what might have happened to the broadcast after that. I won’t have a chance to watch tomorrow.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Corpulent Cat

Post by Corpulent Cat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:07 pm

Lost 9-4 in the 3rd game.

That's now 7 Quad-4 losses for baseball.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:30 pm

Well, at least those 9 earned runs didn't hurt our team ERA (8.76) that much.

Gonne be a long season.

Next game is UNCC at Atrium Health Ballpark in Kannapolis on Tuesday night. Game time is 6:00. I'm planning to attend, but may not stay for the whole game. UNCC beat us 24-1 on February 20.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:46 pm

We might have had trouble playing in the Central Time Zone.

Do we still have Spring Frolics? Why not set up a dunking booth where the throwers stand 60' 6" inches from a strike zone sized target and recruit anyone who hits it?

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:49 pm

citycat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:46 pm
We might have had trouble playing in the Central Time Zone.

Do we still have Spring Frolics? Why not set up a dunking booth where the throwers stand 60' 6" inches from a strike zone sized target and recruit anyone who hits it?
Hell, I could hit, but it would be about 35 mph on my best day.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:57 pm

The coaches could stand nearby with a radar gun.

What's the point of having guys who can throw 80-85, but can't throw a strike or avoid hitting a batter?

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:53 pm

citycat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:57 pm
The coaches could stand nearby with a radar gun.

What's the point of having guys who can throw 80-85, but can't throw a strike or avoid hitting a batter?
I recently read an interesting story about Greg Maddux. As a high schooler he trained under a pro scout named Ralph Meder, who preached "movement and location over velocity," and Maddux bought into that. I don't think he ever threw much over 90, but he was one of the most accurate pitchers ever, and perhaps the best in my lifetime. He also pitched in the Majors for 22 years and never had significant arm trouble. Throw strikes!

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:35 pm

http://static.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/g ... 20changeup.

The late Tony Gwynn's excellent take on Maddux (and Glavine) from a (all-time great) hitter's perspective.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:10 pm

MrMac wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:35 pm
http://static.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/g ... 20changeup.

The late Tony Gwynn's excellent take on Maddux (and Glavine) from a (all-time great) hitter's perspective.
Good stuff.