Up next: at A&T

2017 A-10 Champs! 2017 Chapel Hill Regional Champs!
i77cat

Up next: at A&T

Post by i77cat » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:21 pm

We've been outscored 2-45 in our 3 road games so far. Next four are on the road. Go Cats.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

dorp

Re: Up next: at A&T

Post by dorp » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:55 pm

Because I have not endured enough pain today, I will likely be in attendance with a JAM1. Hopefully nobody steals his balls this time.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:51 pm

Up 1-0 in the 2nd. Won't last. Aggies are pretty good.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/mobile/?id=523879
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:15 pm

3rd inning. We score on 4 walks. Up 2-1.
Then a single. 4-1.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:09 pm

Same score through 5. Warren Nolan had us losing 1-5.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:29 pm

Putnam, Douglas, and Anderson all single home runs in the 6th. 7-1 now. Trying to match our longest winning streak of the season at 2. And looking for that first road win.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:30 pm

3 more runs in the top of the 6th on 2 walks and 4 singles. 7-1. Remember, our team ERA is around 10.00.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:12 pm

Perkins on to close the 9th? He could be very good in that role.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:23 pm

Way to go Wildcat pitchers! Fix, Champey, Dunagan, and Perkins combined for the 7-1 win. Fix pitched 4 innings and allowed the only run, and Champey (3 innings), Dunagan (1 inning), and Perkins (1 inning) turned the lights out: 0 runs, 3 hits, and 2 BBs. Good job! Our ERA dropped all the way to 8.75.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

dorp

Post by dorp » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:43 am

dorp wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:55 pm
Because I have not endured enough pain today, I will likely be in attendance with a JAM1. Hopefully nobody steals his balls this time.
While we were heading out, a foul ball flew out of the stadium in our direction, resting just short of Yanceyville Street along the curb. JAM1 trots over and picks it up. Right behind him is an NC A&T player, out to reclaim the ball. While I understand the economics of the pursuit, this was quite a distance from home plate.
JAM1 still managed to depart with a couple of baseballs the Aggies bench players could not find.
We did leave the dozens (!) of water-logged BP baseballs in the field behind the outfield fence. Someone should have preserved those before they were ruined.
The seating areas of War Memorial Stadium keep getting worse over time.

citycat

Post by citycat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:11 am

Catnhat and I left a couple of innings after dorp and JAM1. A couple with their adorable and well mannered grandchildren, who were wearing sweatshirts with "DAVIDSON" in huge letters on them, left at the same time. They cleverly parked across Yanceyville Street/Road in the Farmers' Market parking lot, which meant they didn't have to worry about foul balls smashing their car.

jamesdhogan

Post by jamesdhogan » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:11 am

dorp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:43 am
dorp wrote:
While we were heading out, a foul ball flew out of the stadium in our direction, resting just short of Yanceyville Street along the curb. JAM1 trots over and picks it up. Right behind him is an NC A&T player, out to reclaim the ball. While I understand the economics of the pursuit, this was quite a distance from home plate.
JAM1 still managed to depart with a couple of baseballs the Aggies bench players could not find.
We did leave the dozens (!) of water-logged BP baseballs in the field behind the outfield fence. Someone should have preserved those before they were ruined.
That's funny. Last spring, I saw one of our assistant ADs approaching a kid who had picked up a foul ball outside of Hennon. They made some kind of exchange. Later, I asked what the story was, and he sheepishly mentioned that since baseballs are $6-7 each, they decided to use some leftover "Miss it for a biscuit" coupons from basketball season and try to barter.

As a kid, among my most prized possessions were two foul/stray balls from the handful of major league games I got to attend. I can't imagine what kind of message it sends to kids in the community when we dangle a boberry biscuit instead. (Nothing against boberry biscuits. Still.) We have to be compromising future fans, right? Good grief.
The artist formerly known as Freehold.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:27 pm

When I was coaching HS JV baseball our AD had a deal w some Fagin like character in Greensboro. “Fagin” paid kids for BP home run balls at War Memorial. Our AD bought them from Fagin for much less than new baseballs. So we used South Atlantic League baseballs in HS with no need to rub them up before games.

dorp

Post by dorp » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:19 pm

At some UNCG games, there's a basket of movie-sized candy boxes on the top of the home dugout. Drop a ball in the bucket, get candy. Some kids have gotten wise to this and bring non-NCAA baseballs from home. To my knowledge, my kids haven't done that, but they certainly pick the most scuffed-up baseballs they retrieve to drop in the bucket.

ac3983

Post by ac3983 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:12 am

dorp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:43 am
dorp wrote:
Are you sure it wasn’t a pitch?