Up next: at Duke

2017 A-10 Champs! 2017 Chapel Hill Regional Champs!
i77cat

Up next: at Duke

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:34 pm

Tuesday, 4 pm. Go Cats.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

DC69Wildcat

Re: Up next: at Duke

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:00 pm

Duke beat us 19-0 last year. They are 7-0 so far this year, including a 23-5 win over George Mason a week ago.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:00 pm

Game starts at 4:00. Rain starts at 3:30.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:16 pm

Down 0-2, bottom 1, Duke still batting. They are good, 7-0 with some wins against folks a lot better than any A10 teams.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Corpulent Cat

Post by Corpulent Cat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:58 pm

Only 7 free passes in the first 3 innings and change! :oops:

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:09 pm

Beating us like a rented mule. 8 runs on 8 hits, 7 walks, and 1 HBP, and still batting in the bottom of the 4th. This may be worse than the UNCC debacle.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:43 pm

Grand slam in the 5th. Now 12-0. We have 1 hit.

graveline

Post by graveline » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:08 pm

Im not sure if coach pollard is doing a favor by scheduling us any more
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

Corpulent Cat

Post by Corpulent Cat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:32 pm

Blimey we are awful.

In my 50+ years of watching college baseball I've never seen a team that consistently gives free passes at such a high number. Sixteen free passes in 7 innings against Duke. And it's every damn game.

Can't bunt, don't hit behind the runners.

OK, rant is over. It's a long season. We can and will get better.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:44 pm

I was inconveniently in Dallas when we played them in Charlotte in 2020.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:00 pm

We're getting better. Remember, they beat us 19-0 last year.

citycat

Post by citycat » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:14 pm

stevelee wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:44 pm
I was inconveniently in Dallas when we played them in Charlotte in 2020.
I was there when Centrochio hit the walk off homerun. 2 days later, the world shut down.

We've gotten worse relatively the last 4 years, despite having many more scholarships.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:07 pm

For some good high school baseball our Cornelius, NC Hough High School may be worth a watch. They have one of the top couple of pitchers in the country - Tyler Baird. As well, the 13th ranked player in the 2026 class is Jaxon Matthews.

Baird is scheduled to be a 1st round draft pick. It will be interesting to see if he leaves for the draft or to college. All the top schools have offered. Rumor has it that Vanderbilt is top contender. NIL offer from Vanderbilt is apparently somewhere between $500k - $750k per year.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:20 pm

The 12th when things shut down, I was flying home. If the Cats had had a better season, I would have flown to NYC instead for the tournament. Plans were for Tim to pick me up at the airport and drive home post haste to watch our game that evening. In a restaurant at lunch time at Love Field, I saw the crawl on the TV showing conference after conference canceling tournaments. At CLT I saw neighbors farther down the escalator, whom I had correctly assumed had just flown in from NYC.

Our last home game had been on Friday. After the game we stood around, talked, and sometimes hugged. We expected to see a lot of us at the banquet in April, which of course didn’t happen. At least a couple of friends I would never see again. I conducted a funeral service for one of them in a few months, the first of my four friends who died with COVID.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:32 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:34 pm
stevelee wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:20 pm
The 12th when things shut down, I was flying home. If the Cats had had a better season, I would have flown to NYC instead for the tournament. Plans were for Tim to pick me up at the airport and drive home post haste to watch our game that evening. In a restaurant at lunch time at Love Field, I saw the crawl on the TV showing conference after conference canceling tournaments. At CLT I saw neighbors farther down the escalator, whom I had correctly assumed had just flown in from NYC.

Our last home game had been on Friday. After the game we stood around, talked, and sometimes hugged. We expected to see a lot of us at the banquet in April, which of course didn’t happen. At least a couple of friends I would never see again. I conducted a funeral service for one of them in a few months, the first of my four friends who died with COVID.
I think you mean basketball not baseball
Well, both. The last basketball home game was on Friday the 6th. I flew to Dallas on Sunday the 8th. The baseball game in Charlotte with Duke was on Tuesday the 10th. Davidson’s first basketball tournament game was supposed to be on Thursday the 12th, the day I was flying home. I guess that sequence of events stuck with me longer than for a lot of folks, so I should have been clearer. I was responding to the reply to my message about having to miss the game when we beat Duke in Charlotte in baseball.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ