Next up: Morehead State

2017 A-10 Champs! 2017 Chapel Hill Regional Champs!
Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Next up: Morehead State

Post by Bill Cobb » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:14 pm

Friday-Sunday the 18th-20th. Game times are 5:30, 1:30, and 1pm. The first game should be a bit chilly!

We last played Morehead State in 2021 when we won a single game.

Davidson was 30-24 last year. The Eagles were 36-20. The Cats finished 2023 at #216 in the RPI and Morehead State was 100 slots higher at #116.

Warren Nolan picks the Eagles third in the Ohio Valley Conference with a final RPI of 140. Nolan picks the Cats 8th in the A10 with a final RPI of 230.

The Eagles look like a pretty tough opening opponent.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

i77cat

Re: Next up: Morehead State

Post by i77cat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:24 pm

Cobb means the 16th, 17th and 18th. Season starts at 5:30 tomorrow. Come on out!
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:55 pm

Dang. Missed first pitch. ESPN+ has the coverage.
https://davidsonwildcats.com/sidearmsta ... ;team=away
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:16 pm

Watching the game on ESPN+. Cats score 2 in the first on a HBP, followed by a home run by O'Shaughnessy. Morehead gets a solo homer in the 3rd. Davidson starter is Wiley Perkins, a Juco transfer from Florida, listed as a sophomore on the roster, and elected as a team captain in his first year at DC. He looks like Goose Gossage.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Corpulent Cat

Post by Corpulent Cat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:37 pm

Perkins didn't go long, but not entirely his fault. PB and an error scored 2 runs. 6ks, 6 hits, 2BB.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:47 pm

Morehead with 2 in the top of the 4th and still batting with a runner on 3rd. Out, single, walk, passed ball, catcher threw the ball over the 2nd baseman's head, center fielder flubbed the overthrown ball, run scored. 2 more singles, and another run. Perkins relieved, and we get 2 easy outs to end the inning.

Our streaming broadcast is MUCH better than last year. The brightness in a night game is perfect, there is now a camera at field level on the first base line, and there is replay. Sam is in the booth, and the audio quality is much improved. Good job, Davidson.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:53 pm

Our streaming broadcast is MUCH better than last year. The brightness in a night game is perfect, there is now a camera at field level on the first base line, and there is replay. Sam is in the booth, and the audio quality is much improved. Good job, Davidson.
Agreed. Now let's get a baseball guy in the booth to help Sam. Jim Richards and/or Dick Cooke come to mind.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:25 pm

3-2 Morehead St after 6 complete.
Crash Davis

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:38 pm

Bill Cobb wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:53 pm
Agreed. Now let's get a baseball guy in the booth to help Sam. Jim Richards and/or Dick Cooke come to mind.
The broadcasts last year with Dick as the analyst were as good as any I've seen at any level. Actually, I'll qualify that. Dick's analysis was that good, but the video was awful. This video production plus Sam's minimalist play-by-play plus Dick's analysis would be outstanding.

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:18 pm

Well, now 7-2 Eagles.
Crash Davis

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:25 pm

Redshirt freshman Matt Weber (he pitched 4 innings last season before needing arm surgery) pitched 4 good innings in relief of Perkins, allowing only 1 run on 3 hits and 1 walk in 3.1 innings. Miles Jamieson, who had an ERA >12.00 last year, came in with 2 outs and a runner on 2nd and blew away their star freshman on 4 pitches. He got the next 4 outs, gave up a double, then came up with some arm soreness. Freshman Adam Katz came in and gave up 3 straight hits and 3 runs. Now 7-2, ball game.

Sam says freshman Cooper Cavanaugh will start tomorrow's game. Cobb might want to step in here and tell us about this guy. He's supposed to be a potential ace.

Morehead State's roster includes 6 graduate students, 12 seniors, and 6 juco transfers. One guy is evidently playing for his 6th team. Surely I heard that wrong! Anyway, they have a lot more experience than we do.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:33 pm

Bases loaded, 2 down, bottom 9, 7-2.
We walk. 7-3. Shaggy up...

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:35 pm

Walk. 7-4. Wilhoit brings the winning run to the plate...

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:37 pm

7-4 final.

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:39 pm

The Eagles were just a bit better than us tonight. They played a cleaner game.

The two errors, hitting into 2 DP, and leaving the bases loaded twice did us in.

Morehead State is pretty good. Picked 2nd in their league which is a bit better than the A-10.
Crash Davis