Next up: Morehead State

2017 A-10 Champs! 2017 Chapel Hill Regional Champs!
DC69Wildcat

Re: Next up: Morehead State

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:03 pm

Let's hope Miles Jamieson's arm is OK. He looked really good.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:23 pm

Grandparents of Ethan Davis sat behind us. He’s a sophomore pitcher from Nicholasville, KY. They drove down today and will be here for the weekend. Nice folks. I hope they get to see him pitch.

Tim came over for the game. He particularly like the hamburger.

I saw Dick Cooke at the game, so he could have joined Sam if asked/allowed. I really enjoyed when I heard them together. I even charged up my earbuds in case I wound up going alone.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:17 am

Sam says freshman Cooper Cavanaugh will start tomorrow's game. Cobb might want to step in here and tell us about this guy. He's supposed to be a potential ace.
Well, Topsail HS has a good consistent baseball program (although my alma mater JH Rose still rules the East :) ) so I'm sure he is coached up. The one service I looked at had Cooper listed as the 12th best high school player in NC and the 35th best LHP in the nation. He is listed as 6'4", 185 pounds.

He's still going to fill-out a bit. Last summer his fastball topped out at 91.

BTW, Topsail's field is very nice.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:49 pm

Bill Cobb wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:17 am
Sam says freshman Cooper Cavanaugh will start tomorrow's game. Cobb might want to step in here and tell us about this guy. He's supposed to be a potential ace.
Well, Topsail HS has a good consistent baseball program (although my alma mater JH Rose still rules the East :) ) so I'm sure he is coached up. The one service I looked at had Cooper listed as the 12th best high school player in NC and the 35th best LHP in the nation. He is listed as 6'4", 185 pounds.

Nice start. He struck out the first 4 batters he faced.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:50 pm

Tied at zero, bottom 2.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:53 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:49 pm
Bill Cobb wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:17 am

Nice start. He struck out the first 4 batters he faced.
I'm sorry. I got that wrong. He struck out 4 of the first 6.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:56 pm

Bases loaded, no outs. Double play that didn't look like one. 0-1, 2 out.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:12 pm

Our solo broadcaster is an upgrade. Who is that? Dick is in the booth. You can occasionally hear him over the broadcaster's mic.

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:12 pm

I thought our runner looked safe on the replay.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:13 pm

He was. Dick Cooke thought so, too.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:13 pm

0-1, top 4.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:33 pm

Defense and pitching are doing work. Offense is getting on, getting over, not getting in. Still up 0-1. Cavanaugh throws 75 pitches, leaves with 2 out in the 5th.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:44 pm

Shaggy singles Calero home with 2 out. 0-2, bottom 5.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:45 pm

He struck out 9 in almost 5 innings.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:48 pm

Wilhoit walks, Reeves singles. 0-3