Up next: at Loyola

2012 SoCon Regular Season Champs!
DC69Wildcat

Re: Up next: at Loyola

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:44 pm

Had a chance to go up by 10, threw the ball away. Loyola with 7 straight points, cutting it to 1.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

bvgerd

Post by bvgerd » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:45 pm

Bill Cobb wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:41 pm
Why did the officials stop the play when they had a player go down and we had the advantage?
I wondered that too, it wasnt a serious injury she was sitting up. They only stopped the game once loyola clearly tried to foul to stop us from playing 5 v 4 and then didnt call the foul.

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:54 pm

Finally going to the line. 30 minutes of game time in a row without a FT attempt.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:05 pm

Winner, 48-45.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:06 pm

ESPN says "End of Play" with us ahead 48-45.

That usually means you've won unless it's the 1972 Summer Olympics.

Great win under adversity and it moves us up nicely in the A10 standings.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:06 pm

stevelee wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:44 pm
Rhetorical question?
No. There is no stoppage of play for an injury unless the injured player is in danger. In danger of being run over, or hurting someone else, that is.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:08 pm

i77cat wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:06 pm
stevelee wrote:
Rhetorical question?
No. There is no stoppage of play for an injury unless the injured player is in danger. In danger of being run over, or hurting someone else, that is.
Pardon my cynicism.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:15 pm

Win! 48-45. Our last defensive stand, up 1 with 35 seconds to go and Ramblers with the ball, Millie gets the block with 15 seconds to go, Ramblers grab the loose ball, shot clock doesn't reset, and we brilliantly give the foul with 1 second on the shot clock. Normally a terrible thing to do in that situation, but we had the foul to give, so Loyola has to inbound with one second on the shot clock and 5 seconds in the game. Loyola with the offensive foul on the inbounds, we get 2 FTs, ball game.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Classof70

Post by Classof70 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:25 pm

The ladies showed a great deal of grit. Great win!

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:28 pm

Outstanding win. Well done!
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:34 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:15 pm
Win! 48-45. Our last defensive stand, up 1 with 35 seconds to go and Ramblers with the ball, Millie gets the block with 15 seconds to go, Ramblers grab the loose ball, shot clock doesn't reset, and we brilliantly give the foul with 1 second on the shot clock. Normally a terrible thing to do in that situation, but we had the foul to give, so Loyola has to inbound with one second on the shot clock and 5 seconds in the game. Loyola with the offensive foul on the inbounds, we get 2 FTs, ball game.
With the foul, the shot clock resets, so they had the 5+ seconds available.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:34 pm

stevelee wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:08 pm
i77cat wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:06 pm
stevelee wrote:
Rhetorical question?
Pardon my cynicism.
I welcome cynicism from all. Git you some, Diogenes Lee, git you some.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:40 pm

I was watching a women's game this year and an opposing player scored and pulled a muscle or had a cramp. She grabbed a ref or hopped to the scorer's table. The game was stopped, although the opposing team had the ball. The player was in no danger if she had sat down or stood in one spot.

I don't recall if I was watching in person or on TV, but the reaction of the officials was contrary to anything I've ever seen before.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:37 pm

I watched the replay of Charlie's injury about a dozen times on ESPN+. They had views from 2 cameras, and they were a bit contradictory. In neither view, however, did it look dirty. It was the kind of play you could see in most any basketball game, men's or women's, and Charlie just landed wrong with Nolan coming down partially on top of her. Nolan did grab Charlie's arm as they ran after the ball, but she turned loose before their fall, and she did not pull her down. It's hard to say for sure, but I think the cause of the fall was an inadvertent trip. A definite foul, but not flagrant in my view.

I couldn't tell exactly what happened to Charlie's knee. I need to find a way to clip out just that sequence and run it in slo-mo. It looked to me like she fell pretty much forward without much torque, and I don't believe Nolan fell across her legs. I am hopeful that she landed squarely on her kneecap and just has a patellar contusion. The articular surface of the patella impacts the distal head of the femur and proximal head of the tibia, resulting in a "bone bruise" with effusion and bleeding in the patellar bursa and sometimes into the joint capsule. It's a very painful injury, but one that heals in a couple of weeks and doesn't require any intervention.

Jump in here Cat Forever. I assume that she will get an MRI in the next day or so to look for ligament injury.

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:37 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:37 pm
I watched the replay of Charlie's injury about a dozen times on ESPN+. They had views from 2 cameras, and they were a bit contradictory. In neither view, however, did it look dirty. It was the kind of play you could see in most any basketball game, men's or women's, and Charlie just landed wrong with Nolan coming down partially on top of her. Nolan did grab Charlie's arm as they ran after the ball, but she turned loose before their fall, and she did not pull her down. It's hard to say for sure, but I think the cause of the fall was an inadvertent trip. A definite foul, but not flagrant in my view.

I couldn't tell exactly what happened to Charlie's knee. I need to find a way to clip out just that sequence and run it in slo-mo. It looked to me like she fell pretty much forward without much torque, and I don't believe Nolan fell across her legs. I am hopeful that she landed squarely on her kneecap and just has a patellar contusion. The articular surface of the patella impacts the distal head of the femur and proximal head of the tibia, resulting in a "bone bruise" with effusion and bleeding in the patellar bursa and sometimes into the joint capsule. It's a very painful injury, but one that heals in a couple of weeks and doesn't require any intervention.

Jump in here Cat Forever. I assume that she will get an MRI in the next day or so to look for ligament injury.
Grabbing an opponent's arm is the epitome of a "non-basketball play". That's a flagrant foul. That none of the refs saw it explains Coach Fulks's anger that nothing more serious was called. Did the refs go to the monitor?

I was pleasantly surprised Grant was not given a flagrant foul when he elbowed the guy chasing him in the LaSalle game. That looked bad.