Up next: at Wofford

2012 SoCon Regular Season Champs!
i77cat

Up next: at Wofford

Post by i77cat » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:14 pm

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Re: Up next: at Wofford

Post by i77cat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:02 am

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:08 am

Hope we can get back on track today!

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:09 am

It is possible. I see we still don't have Fuller and Welch starting. I hope they are available off the bench today. Without them, we aren't going to beat many teams. We are in the very weak part of our schedule, but we haven't being doing well against weak teams and every road game is hard. Go Cats.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:29 am

7 players in uniform today
Sit vis nobiscum

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:17 pm

We are trying. Hard. Just don't have enough players. We were up 16-11 after 8 minutes, but trailed 18-20 after 10 minutes. Trailed 25-40 at halftime. Score is 35-50 with 2:50 left in the third. So we're playing them even in the first 7 minutes of the second half. I'd expect a 4th that looks a lot like the 2nd.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:21 pm

We are exhausted. Everything is a struggle. Wofford announcer says the score is 38-50, but the scoreboard on ESPN+ got stuck at 1:34. Real score is 43-55. It'll take a perfect 4th to win.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:27 pm

Miserable start to the 4th. We miss, rebound, throw it away, we foul a shooter, she makes, misses, they rebound, they bust a 3 for the 4-pt play, they foul Elle, she misses both, they make a layup, they foul Rosie, she makes both. 45-61. 7:30 to play. They beat the shot clock with a 3. 45-64. 6:52. Timeout. Ball game.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:45 pm

Final is 51-72.

bvgerd

Post by bvgerd » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:09 pm

Extremely frustrating to wind up with such a limited pool of available players for these games, especially when coming into the season it seemed as though we were as deep a team as weve ever had and were set up well to compete this year. Hope we can heal and rest up and get people back soon, for a10 play at least if not for the rest of the non-conference game. It certainly doesnt help trying to juggle these limitations while playing 9 straight away from home.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:19 pm

Unfortunately, this is what I expected. A bit worse, but not much. I expected single digits of available players, but I didn't think it would be this early in the season. Add a short roster to an awful schedule, and you end up with a situation where players might end up in the uncomfortable position of feeling like they are playing for their coach's job security. My guess is that our coaches are safe, but we could be facing a 5-8 win season.

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:52 am

I don't follow the women except to check our scores.

I'm not asking for specific info on injuries as I know that's not allowed.

Just want to know why we were down to seven players. Is it strictly injuries, or have some players transferred or left the team? I assume we are at, or within one, of our full allotment of scholarships?

Are some of the injured players expected back soon, or do the injuries, not to be discussed with regard to specific players, seem long term in nature?

I don't think of heard of a team, men's or women's, being down to seven players lately (during Covid, yes). Are there any walk-ons among the seven active players?

Thanks.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:03 am

14 Players on the roster

From what I understand there are 13 Scholarship / 1 Walk-on

The 14 players on the roster are the same ones that began the season.

I have no idea how many scholarships the team has been granted by the administration, but the NCAA allows 15.

I know that the anticipated return of players run the full spectrum on the time horizon.
Sit vis nobiscum

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:14 am

7 scholarship players played yesterday. Derek said only 7 were in uniform, so I assume that Riana Doctor, our lone walk-on, was in street clothes. Keeley Evans didn't return to the team this year, but that was known well before the roster came out. Peyton Carter and Millie Prior were lost to injury before the season. I hear that both are done for the season. Cam Tabor went out after a few games. Knee immobilizer, crutch, done for the season. Adelaide Fuller and Chloe Welch are both starters. They've been out for a while. I hear that they can return if they clear the recovery protocol for their injury. Issy Morgan has missed the last 3 games. No idea why. So we started the summer with 13 and added Riana Doctor for 14.

citycat

Post by citycat » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:51 pm

The College is charging fees to raise money for scholarships starting next season. The first 2 scholarships should be given to Women's basketball.

The rationale for giving 13 scholarships to Men's and Women's basketball is flawed. Women's Basketball is a sport we can win A10 titles in. We'll need 15 scholarships or incredibly good luck medical to win a title.