Thoughts from afar- off rebound issue

2012 SoCon Regular Season Champs!
Ancient Mariner

Thoughts from afar- off rebound issue

Post by Ancient Mariner » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:43 pm

Disappointing loss today for Cats-- on the floor team played their hearts out. Looking at game stats we prevailed in most key areas except off rebounds-- loss that struggle pretty significantly-- 16 vs 7. Ok so what might be a fix to this issue which seems to plague? Could it be that fatigue and height are a factor?? Dunno-- but look a second-- most of team on the floor except for Ellie are 5' 10ish. When fatigue sets in that could be a factor. So, maybe mid point 2nd qtr, midpoint 3d quarter, same 4th quarter-- rotate in fresh legs and make them 6'+ players with the their aim to get rebounds-- and give everybody the green light to shoot. Gives the starters a rest for the end game. Just a thought from afar!!

stevelee

Re: Thoughts from afar- off rebound issue

Post by stevelee » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:04 pm

Rebounds obviously were an issue. I haven’t looked at stats, so my impressions may be off the mark and mostly disprovable. The team looked better today. There were some obvious lapses, but defense usually looked good, other than rebounding. We didn’t throw the ball away as much. There were some spectacular shots, mainly one that didn’t count.

We missed a layup with a minute or so left. Several of us saw that as the losing play. A goal then probably would have sealed the deal. Obviously with a 1-point loss you can choose almost anything to blame, but that was a decisive moment.

The buzzer-nonbeater looked to me like the ball left her hand before I heard the horn. But as a musician, I realize that light travels faster than sound, so I have no argument with the ref’s review. (I don’t know what they go by, buzzer or visual clock, anyway.)
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Dr. Bliss

Re: Thoughts from afar- off rebound issue

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:05 pm

We fronted the post a lot today in an attempt to deny the ball. That leaves you in a very vulnerable position for giving up offensive rebounds. They won second chance points 20-6. Apparently Gail feels we can't win by staying between their post players and the basket.

I noticed that a lot of the time when a shot goes up, our players tend to watch the track of the ball rather than looking for someone to put a body on.

Our three main areas of concern are a) shooting, b) turnovers, and c) blocking out on offensive rebounds. Today we did fine on two out of three.

You just cannot foul a three-point shooter with one second left on the clock, especially at the end of the half. Huge mental mistake.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx