Next up: St Joe's

2012 SoCon Regular Season Champs!
catseye

Re: Next up: St Joe's

Post by catseye » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:25 pm

The team really seems to be a shadow of its early season self - such a problem running our offense.
"He scores 30 points and he thinks he can call me Bob."

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:45 pm

We started Elle, Issy, Chloe, Cass, and Sarah. Fell behind 0-6. Trailed 5-14 after 1. We used the starters, Sallie, Tomisin, Cam, and Keeley. No sign of Adelaide. We're getting good looks, we just can't shoot. At the half, Cam has a pair of threes, Elle has three baskets, Issy has a three, Chloe has a two and adds a three at the buzzer. 20-26.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:25 pm

37-43 after 3.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:36 pm

Chloe didn't mean to do that, but she's likely to get a flagrant. Looked like a forearm to the nose. We're down 37-46.

Refs didn't call it flagrant. That was kind.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:47 pm

We still haven't scored in the 4th. Hawks only have 3. 5:49 left.

Chloe gets a 3-pt play. 40-46. Hawks travel. Cam for 3! 43-46. Hawks score, we don't, they turn it over. 4:14 left.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:49 pm

Elle scores. Hawks walk. We miss. Timeout. 3:05, 45-48.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:52 pm

They miss, Elle hits a long 2, St Joe's calls their penultimate timeout. 47-48, 2:26.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:56 pm

They miss, we board, Elle scores. 49-48. We foul at 1:23. Make, make. 49-50. This game really changed when Chloe hit their point guard. She hasn't returned. We miss and foul on the rebound, they miss and we foul the rebounder. Make, make. 49-52 with 53.9 seconds. Timeout us.

catseye

Post by catseye » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:04 pm

We waited too long to really compete. Sutphin is pretty unstoppable inside. Wish we had more effectively used her in the first half.

It'll be interesting to see which direction this team goes. We have enough talent to play through this but we'll have to see.
"He scores 30 points and he thinks he can call me Bob."

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:06 pm

Good rally. Great effort to take that brief lead. Final is 51-58. St Joe's was fabulous at the line. Rebounding was better today.

St Joe's injured player looks okay. Holding ice to the bridge of her nose. Glad she's okay.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:20 pm

i77cat wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:06 pm
Good rally. Great effort to take that brief lead. Final is 51-58. St Joe's was fabulous at the line. Rebounding was better today.

St Joe's injured player looks okay. Holding ice to the bridge of her nose. Glad she's okay.
Tough losing two to St. Joe's. Not having 2 starters hurt. We struggled early to get into our offense. Hopefully we will get everyone back and finish the regular season on a high note and take a little momentum into the tournament. Could upset some people.

Would love to see us post our "bigs" in a double high post situation. We have cutters and slashers and that might open some more backdoor cuts, etc. Also Elle and Adelaide both do well when they see a chance at the rim. Perhaps Elle should post a little higher in the lane when in the low post. Sometimes gets cut off by baseline with her baseline post moves. Might also open her up for some lobs if they play her on the front side.

Wouldn't mind a few minutes for Peyton and TA. I think I would have TA come in for solid minutes just playing their best guard. Mentioned it to someone else, but maybe you tell her not to worry about scoring, but be a pest to their best offensive guard. Endline to endline. In her face, deny passes, just be an annoyance and make their best play extremely hard both on and off the ball. Gives us 5 more fouls and utilizes her quickness. A little MPG (Max) type to help wear the other team down. I think she can develop into a nice offensive player, but the confidence in her as a two-way player isn't there right now, but using her in that fashion may lengthen our bench and be enough to make the opposing team's guards to get a little worn down.

What do I know? Just an old, washed up volleyball coach. Just trying to think of things to get them over the hump. Good group of ladies that need to get healthy and get a little confidence back. They don't give up, that's a huge positive.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."