2012 SoCon Regular Season Champs!
collegecoach8502

Re: Up next: at URI

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:19 am

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:54 am
i77cat wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:04 pm
I had the sound off, so I didn't hear any of the discussion. It didn't look intentional. It did look flagrant.
Somebody will have to explain how both players can commit a foul on the same play.

Adelaide had her back to the basket. Defender came to help. She turned quickly and caught the help defender with her elbow. Don't see how it was intentional or flagrant.
Didn't see it. However, defensive player could foul offensive player and follow through of offensive player could be flagrant/intentional. We were lucky that Sam didn't get one versus Fordham late in the game. They reviewed it and just stuck with defensive foul, but Sam "gently" removed the Fordham players arms off his body.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:32 am

A flagrant foul doesn't have to be intentional. Look at it from the viewpoint of the URI player. She's in good position to provide help defense. Adelaide spins with her elbow leading and catches the Ram solidly. Adelaide didn't mean it, but the URI player didn't deserve an elbow in her grill. It was excessive and avoidable. Didn't matter, ultimately. They were killing us well before that call.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:25 pm

i77cat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:32 am
A flagrant foul doesn't have to be intentional. Look at it from the viewpoint of the URI player. She's in good position to provide help defense. Adelaide spins with her elbow leading and catches the Ram solidly. Adelaide didn't mean it, but the URI player didn't deserve an elbow in her grill. It was excessive and avoidable. Didn't matter, ultimately. They were killing us well before that call.
According to the announcers it was called an intentional foul, not a flagrant.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:29 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:19 am
Dr. Bliss wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:54 am
i77cat wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:04 pm
I had the sound off, so I didn't hear any of the discussion. It didn't look intentional. It did look flagrant.
Somebody will have to explain how both players can commit a foul on the same play.

Adelaide had her back to the basket. Defender came to help. She turned quickly and caught the help defender with her elbow. Don't see how it was intentional or flagrant.
Didn't see it. However, defensive player could foul offensive player and follow through of offensive player could be flagrant/intentional. We were lucky that Sam didn't get one versus Fordham late in the game. They reviewed it and just stuck with defensive foul, but Sam "gently" removed the Fordham players arms off his body.
Different situation. The foul on Adelaide was called on the shot. I just can't see how both the offensive player and the defensive player can commit a foul a the same time. Obviously, I will not be out on the court in a striped shirt.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:09 pm

That happens occasionally. One ref sees a foul on offense, the other sees it on the defense. Neither yields. Both calls count.

Flagrant 1 and 2 are the terms in MBB. I don't remember the correct terms for WBB.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:48 pm

I yield.

"I'll lay me down and bleed a while,
And then I'll rise and fight again."