catseye

Re: Up next: VCU

Post by catseye » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:47 pm

Disappointing series of turnovers.
"He scores 30 points and he thinks he can call me Bob."

Corpulent Cat

Post by Corpulent Cat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:56 pm

Our ball-handling continues to suck. If we don't improve our ball-handling and eliminate brain-fart turnovers we will remain a mediocre offensive team.

Someone said earlier this year that if Sutphin and Deegan didn't average at least 30 minutes a game we would struggle against decent teams. I agree.

Massey predicted that we would only win 3 of our last 13 games. I think and hope we are better than that.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:11 pm

6 games in the A10 tonight. 5 are complete. Fordham is the only home team to win. https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... /_/group/3
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:16 am

The stats they flashed up on the video screen showed us solidly behind VCU in every category but rebounds. We had lots and lots of offensive rebounds in the first half it seemed, and got some third- or fourth-chance baskets. Whether you consider having lots of offensive rebounds to be good news or bad news is a matter of perspective.

I thought the losing play of the game came with just over a minute left. We were one point behind and had the ball in our front court with a good bit of time left on the shot clock, as I remember it. There was a home run pass clear across the court that flew into the opposite stands. That took away our last real threat to go ahead.

Obviously there were plenty of other occasions along the way when we could have made free throws or shot better or not given away the ball, but that one pass was the final nail.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am

stevelee wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:16 am
The stats they flashed up on the video screen showed us solidly behind VCU in every category but rebounds. We had lots and lots of offensive rebounds in the first half it seemed, and got some third- or fourth-chance baskets. Whether you consider having lots of offensive rebounds to be good news or bad news is a matter of perspective.

I thought the losing play of the game came with just over a minute left. We were one point behind and had the ball in our front court with a good bit of time left on the shot clock, as I remember it. There was a home run pass clear across the court that flew into the opposite stands. That took away our last real threat to go ahead.

Obviously there were plenty of other occasions along the way when we could have made free throws or shot better or not given away the ball, but that one pass was the final nail.
Yep. That was a killer. TO by Rosie, about the last person you would expect to do that.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

bvgerd

Post by bvgerd » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:28 am

Ugh, couldnt watch the game last night since I was traveling but its rough to lose a game in that fashion especially with a pretty challenging stretch coming up. We have to win those home games, especially against the better half of the conference. Turnovers have definitely been an issue for us at least this and last year. We have a lot of talented players on the team and I have faith that we can improve a lot as conference play goes on, but it feels like the whole is less than the sum of its parts right now.
Last edited by bvgerd on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:17 am

VCU deserved the W last night. They shot the ball much better and made 12-12 FTs. I think you can take something positive away from the fact that we were even in the game late.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

catseye

Post by catseye » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:39 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:17 am
VCU deserved the W last night. They shot the ball much better and made 12-12 FTs. I think you can take something positive away from the fact that we were even in the game late.
I agree with this but don't understand how we can be so careless with the basketball. With SD, Sutphin, and others, we seem to be a better pffensive team in our half court set than we have been except for all of the turnovers.
"He scores 30 points and he thinks he can call me Bob."

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 pm

stevelee wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:16 am

No game is lost on one or two plays. We all know that, but unfortunately the mistakes made in the final minutes always stand out and weigh heavy on the players shoulders. More than they should but they do. We probably lost the game with our 2Q play, but if you had to define a couple of chances that might have put us over the top I can think of two late plays. One, was Elle's missed uncontested layup (I'm guessing she probably would have made the basket if she had a player all over her. Sometimes the more open you are the harder they are). The second mistake that I think was crucial was the cross court skip pass that went sailing into our bench.

Nonetheless, I think the ladies will learn from that game. In years past, that game would have gone south early in the 3Q after trailing that much at half. We fight and claw and thankfully don't give up. We have talent and hopefully can cut the turnovers down to give us the opportunity to win against the best teams. Good group of ladies and fun to watch.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:05 pm

As Bob would say, “They fort and fort and fort.”

I agree with all that. The remarkable thing to me sitting there watching the game was that even with all of those problems, it was just a one-point game that close to the end. I guess I got my hopes up too much on that play that had a chance to turn the tide. They are a lot of fun to watch. My signed mini-basketball is now up on the shelf in here with some of the other Davidson memorabilia.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ