Steph Helping out all the LadyCats !

2012 SoCon Regular Season Champs!
seamac77

Steph Helping out all the LadyCats !

Post by seamac77 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:29 am

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32091278

Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry launching initiative to support Davidson's female athletes
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

citycat

Re: Steph Helping out all the LadyCats !

Post by citycat » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:19 pm

seamac and I were part of the first class at Davidson with women enrolled as freshmen/women/persons. From day one, we were told they were just as smart and deserving as the men. I couldn't understand what the fuss was about. The valedictorian of the high school I graduated from was usually a female.

The college should have a campaign to endow as many women's athletic scholarships as possible. Our women's basketball program has 13 scholarships and they should have 15. Perhaps the Currys could offer to match what the alumni raise. If it ends up being more than 2 scholarships, move the surplus to another women's sport.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:09 pm

In discussions of affirmative action, I have been known to cite Davidson’s commitment to having approximately equal number of male and female students.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:19 pm

This is about all women’s sports. I suspect WBB will get very little of this money until the other sports catch up. Presently WBB gets approx half of all scholarship dollars for women athletes.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:01 am

The money can go wherever a big donor or Chris Clunie direct it, but we are 86.7% funded in women's basketball. If we add two more scholarships, we can win the A10 Tournament and secure a bid to the NCAA Tournament. If we do that, money will flow to women's basketball and other women's sports.

We've been short handed in women's basketball the last two years and have not had enough scholarship players to replace injured starters. Our conference opponents have 15 scholarships for women's basketball.

We finished a capital campaign recently. Wasn't some of the money raised for endowed scholarships in women's sports?

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:52 pm

The link Steve Lee provided in the other thread tells us Davidson provided 36.14 scholarships for Women's Sports and 36.98 for Men's in '20-'21.

The 26 scholarships mentioned in the Curry Women's Sports Initiative may be referring to endowed scholarships.

Davidson needs more endowed scholarships for Women and Men. If an athlete receives an endowed scholarship, it eliminates or reduces their need for financial aid, freeing up that money for another student.