Recruiting / Kool Aid

2012 SoCon Regular Season Champs!
chantillycat

Re: Recruiting / Kool Aid

Post by chantillycat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:14 am

MrMac wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:35 pm
The Aussie's had excellent perimeter passing: quick and accurate. Well coached on both ends, it seemed.
No shortage of talented players in that group. I believe that there were 17 of them in all, ranging from 2020's to 2023's.

2020's Matilda Flood (Fordham) and Hannah Giddey (Oral Roberts) are already at D1 schools. Another 2020, Taryn Mahoney (a teammate of Issy Morgan at Norths) is at Miles CC in Montana, but was reportedly offered by D1 St. Francis of Brooklyn.

Jumping to the other end of the age spectrum, 2023 Fliss Henderson comes from a basketball family. Older sister Kitty is a 2021 who is headed to Columbia, and who was one of the real good crossover players in Waratah this past season -- not only dressed out for the adult team's games, but contributed significantly. You probably wouldn't be off base expecting some good things from those younger players.

That tour was apparently a success on many levels. One of those levels was exposure, of course, but you wouldn't know it watching their unselfish play.

---------------------

Here is next season's scholarship roster:

Nice.
"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:46 pm

I'm not very well versed in women's basketball, but judging from the limited video clips, it appears to me that Mallorie and Issy are the same size and have very similar games. They also both have skills to be starters and perhaps stars. Since they are also in the same class, there won't be any "heir apparent" scenario. Could this not present a potential problem down the road as far as getting minutes?
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

gopher49

Post by gopher49 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:45 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:46 pm
I'm not very well versed in women's basketball, but judging from the limited video clips, it appears to me that Mallorie and Issy are the same size and have very similar games. They also both have skills to be starters and perhaps stars. Since they are also in the same class, there won't be any "heir apparent" scenario. Could this not present a potential problem down the road as far as getting minutes?
My impression is that Coach Gayle's up-tempo style of play provides good minutes for lots of players.
Pi Rho Alpha-"Whatever It Takes"

gopher49

Post by gopher49 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:48 pm

I checked last year's stats. Nine players averaged more that 20 minutes.

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:48 pm

Perhaps I can interest you folks in some commemorative coins. Great investment.

Order in the next ten minutes and I'll throw in a Ginsu knife, a Vegematic, and a week's supply of Flex Seal.

Issy and Mallorie have some skills overlap, but that's gonna happen when you target versatile players. They're plenty different in terms of the elite things they bring to the table. Intentionally so, I believe. Should mesh together nicely.

bvgerd

Post by bvgerd » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:42 pm

chantillycat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:14 am
MrMac wrote:
The Aussie's had excellent perimeter passing: quick and accurate. Well coached on both ends, it seemed.
--------------------

Nice.
With winter sports getting an extra year of eligibility, I assume that means that our seniors this upcoming year like Sarah Donavan could return for that 2022 season too if they chose to do so? Do we have any idea what impact that ruling would have on number of scholarship players that can be on a team at once?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:47 pm

We need to start a Master of Sports Administration program.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:49 am

bvgerd wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:42 pm
chantillycat wrote:
MrMac wrote:
--------------------

Nice.
With winter sports getting an extra year of eligibility, I assume that means that our seniors this upcoming year like Sarah Donavan could return for that 2022 season too if they chose to do so? Do we have any idea what impact that ruling would have on number of scholarship players that can be on a team at once?
I just hope that Sarah gets to play a full season this year. I would be surprised if she returned for another year (outside of redshirting this year).
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

gopher49

Post by gopher49 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:13 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:49 am
bvgerd wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:42 pm
chantillycat wrote:
MrMac wrote:
--------------------

Nice.
I just hope that Sarah gets to play a full season this year. I would be surprised if she returned for another year (outside of redshirting this year).
Katie?

gopher49

Post by gopher49 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:45 pm

I just read through the NCAA news release about winter sports athletes being given an extra year of eligibility and an extra year in which to complete it. There was no mention of the number limits on scholarships in sports. Since that purported 2021-2022 roster includes 13 scholarship players I'm guessing two of our seniors could stay another year if that is their choice and the college is willing to ante up for the two additional scholarships.

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:44 pm

This article -- https://bangordailynews.com/2020/10/20/ ... igibility/ -- suggests that players who return for that extra year do not count against the scholarship limit of 15.
For example, 15 full scholarships are allowed in women’s Division I basketball. So if UMaine head coach Amy Vachon has five seniors on full scholarships and they all decided to return, that would theoretically enable her to carry 20 scholarship players during the 2021-22 season.

bvgerd

Post by bvgerd » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:49 pm

What ive been wondering for all sports is does the extra year of eligibility count only for seniors or for all classes? The way ive seen it announced it looks like all players, though of course not everyone may want to use an additional year of eligibility if theyve already completed their major and are ready to graduate after 4 years.

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:58 pm

ICYMI... Mallorie is in Texas this weekend for Joe Wootten's Top 150 evaluation camp, along with two other Team Curry U17 players, plus one of their U16 players. Top 100 seniors, top 50 juniors. Cooper and U16 player Sammy Ackles are juniors.

https://twitter.com/TeamCurry/status/13 ... 1999203334

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:21 pm

https://twitter.com/coachkent02/status/ ... 4565176320

Lordy, #92 was actually going to go under that screen.

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:05 pm

Mallorie... just doing Mallorie things against top 100 players.

https://twitter.com/TeamCurry/status/13 ... 8792211456

Team Curry players -- U17 Jonas Aidoo, Mallorie, U17 Talaysia Cooper (c/o 2022), U17 Reigan Richardson (Georgia commit), U16 Sammy Ackles

https://twitter.com/MallorieHaines/stat ... 5006747648

The player in the 2nd photo is Karoline Striplin, who is headed to Tennessee. She and Mallorie played together in an event in Canada last year.

The Team Curry players all performed well at this camp. I think the top-level competition they saw all summer long in AAU is part of the reason.