Clunie Email re NIL

2018 A10 Champions!
stevelee

Re: Clunie Email re NIL

Post by stevelee » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:14 am

Most lawyers are broke. The ones you know are making good money.

NIL should have nothing to do with the market value of the player to the school. Does anybody really think that any one of our players generates over $70,000 in additional ticket sales?

NIL, if an honest endeavor, would base amounts on the market value of the use of the name, image, and/or likeness of the player to the company paying the money.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:22 am

Market value is what people are willing to pay.
If our players can find people willing to pay them more than $70k to play ball, then their market value is more than $70k.

Capping their 'wages' at the cost of attendance is anti-capitalist.

If we don't like the way capitalism allows some people to be paid extraordinary sums of money, let's start by capping the wages of CEOs, hedge fund managers, and some laywers. Not the hoopsters who put a heck of a lot more effort into their work and bring us joy in the process.
she/hers

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:14 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:22 am
Market value is what people are willing to pay.
If our players can find people willing to pay them more than $70k to play ball, then their market value is more than $70k.

Capping their 'wages' at the cost of attendance is anti-capitalist.

If we don't like the way capitalism allows some people to be paid extraordinary sums of money, let's start by capping the wages of CEOs, hedge fund managers, and some laywers. Not the hoopsters who put a heck of a lot more effort into their work and bring us joy in the process.
OK, but you are talking about something different from NIL.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:56 pm

A number of comments here have asserted that our lads deserve to be compensated at the market value for their “work”. I would maintain that this analysis is flawed in that NIL awards players for the use of their Name, etc in commercial advertising. This key difference recognizes that the lads are “playing” a student recreational game; they are not employees being paid for their work done for the benefit of their non-employer Davidson College.Any description of our players being paid for there work must await direct payments from the College, an eventuality that I pray never occurs.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:02 pm

MLC67 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:56 pm
A number of comments here have asserted that our lads deserve to be compensated at the market value for their “work”. I would maintain that this analysis is flawed in that NIL awards players for the use of their Name, etc in commercial advertising. This key difference recognizes that the lads are “playing” a student recreational game; they are not employees being paid for their work done for the benefit of their non-employer Davidson College.Any description of our players being paid for there work must await direct payments from the College, an eventuality that I pray never occurs.
Ironically, the preservation of competitiveness and long term health of programs may require an employee approach. Any attempt to limit kids' ability to transfer is going to run into court challenges and lose on antitrust grounds. Lose big. Lose quickly.

If, however, these are employees who can join together and speak through collective bargaining, they can agree to restrictions on movement and competitiveness/state of the game restrictions.

It may not be the solution you want, but it's the one that would stand the best chance of working.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:05 pm

cat44 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:54 am
If cheering for mercenaries thrills you, write that check.
I’m cheering for the clothes 😉

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:12 pm

"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:42 pm

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:03 pm

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Ursa Midmajor

Post by Ursa Midmajor » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:28 pm

Largest revenue stream for NCAA is March Madness (NCAA hardly gets any football money). I suspect all reserves are pretty much a result of the March Madness TV contracts. So basketball (primarily men’s basketball before Caitlinapooza) will probably overly subsidize the settlement attributable to
football and other sports. I am assuming the colleges themselves won’t pony up but the money will come out of the NCAA coffers.

They are gonna need a bigger boat in the future. End game will be a streaming service or two paying big bucks for March. Paramount boss just canned. Too much Yellowstone and not enough sports and other diversification of streaming was forcing a merger. They will be at the bidding table for sports going forward.
"No one is Steph Curry” ~ Draymond Green

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed May 01, 2024 11:23 am

There was no real insight into the numbers regarding our NIL efforts on last night’s Zoom call with the AD and coaches. Did I miss something?
Esse Quam Videri

CatsRom

Post by CatsRom » Wed May 01, 2024 1:35 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:23 am
There was no real insight into the numbers regarding our NIL efforts on last night’s Zoom call with the AD and coaches. Did I miss something?
No there wasn’t any hard numbers thrown around. What I am most surprised was Matt mentioning that the staff avoids NIL conversations until it is brought up by the player or their families. If we have a collective just for basketball, I figured that would be part of the regular pitch about the support you would have as a Davidson basketball scholar athlete. Just a very very surprising response.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed May 01, 2024 1:48 pm

I think internationals, here on student visas, have substantial restrictions on NIL participation. Does anybody know the specifics?

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Wed May 01, 2024 2:28 pm

CatsRom wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:35 pm
ScootCat wrote:
No there wasn’t any hard numbers thrown around. What I am most surprised was Matt mentioning that the staff avoids NIL conversations until it is brought up by the player or their families. If we have a collective just for basketball, I figured that would be part of the regular pitch about the support you would have as a Davidson basketball scholar athlete. Just a very very surprising response.
When you have $7 million like Arkansas, you bring it up and make it about NIL money. When you basically have nothing, you don't mention it unless the recruit asks the question.

CatsRom

Post by CatsRom » Wed May 01, 2024 2:36 pm

TiredCat88 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:28 pm
CatsRom wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:35 pm
ScootCat wrote:
When you have $7 million like Arkansas, you bring it up and make it about NIL money. When you basically have nothing, you don't mention it unless the recruit asks the question.
The schools we are competing against for the players we want to get to compete in the A10 will absolutely be mentioning NIL to recruits. Seems like you would want to clear the air about those NIL opportunities at Davidson rather than the prospect assuming it doesn't exsist.