Welcome Zach Laput!

2018 A10 Champions!
stevelee

Re: Welcome Zach Laput!

Post by stevelee » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:54 am

I’ll put in a plug for Davidson Learns, even though I rarely participate (usually trying to sign up after classes are full). I don’t think they even give certificates.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:02 am

Modern America’s standards just don’t measure up. The new normal. 🙁
Esse Quam Videri

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:04 am

Is there a little triangle on the 8-ball that says, "More info needed."?

Reply hazy, try again.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:10 am

ScootCat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:02 am
Modern America’s standards just don’t measure up. The new normal. 🙁
New?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:59 pm

I'm glad this young man is going to play for our team and attend our school. Welcome, Zach!
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:00 pm

Zach, A hearty welcome to you and your family! I too am very pleased you chose Davidson; a place where, as you probably already surmise, the fan base is pretty passionate and proud of its beloved D1 basketball program. Wildcat men’s hoops has brought immense joy and pride to the fans and alumni of the school over many decades. So, lest you have any doubts, as a multi-decade resident of the town, and a long-tenured Davidson season ticket holder, I can assure you that you’ve landed at a good and special place. I hope that’s apparent soon, if not already. Good luck. 😃
Esse Quam Videri

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:22 am

I haven’t seen anyone on here disparage Laput. What I have tried to argue is (1) Davidson should maintain some academic standards for athletic eligibility; and (2) one of those requirements should be that the student athlete is pursuing a degree. I don’t think (1) is especially controversial, but (2) seems to have become controversial on here despite its always being the rule until very recently (and prior to the rule change I wasn’t reading a lot of clamoring for the NCAA to relax its minimums so Davidson could do more of what it wants). Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Some of us believe Davidson’s requirements should include pursuit of a degree (and a certificate is not a degree); others don’t see that as a box that needs to be checked (which makes me wonder what they believe the minimum requirements should be—why not let part-time students play?). But I’m irritated by the repeated (mostly implicit) comments that those of us who believe Davidson should maintain the eligibility criteria it’s always had are evincing hostility to Laput.

wildcatadrian

Post by wildcatadrian » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:44 am

Welcome Zach! Looking forward to seeing you on the court!

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:02 am

But I’m irritated by the repeated (mostly implicit) comments that those of us who believe Davidson should maintain the eligibility criteria it’s always had are evincing hostility to Laput.
I am maybe in a minority here, but I didn't read into these posts any (even implied) imputation of hostility.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:06 am

Acorn wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:22 am
I haven’t seen anyone on here disparage Laput. What I have tried to argue is (1) Davidson should maintain some academic standards for athletic eligibility; and (2) one of those requirements should be that the student athlete is pursuing a degree. I don’t think (1) is especially controversial, but (2) seems to have become controversial on here despite its always being the rule until very recently (and prior to the rule change I wasn’t reading a lot of clamoring for the NCAA to relax its minimums so Davidson could do more of what it wants). Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Some of us believe Davidson’s requirements should include pursuit of a degree (and a certificate is not a degree); others don’t see that as a box that needs to be checked (which makes me wonder what they believe the minimum requirements should be—why not let part-time students play?). But I’m irritated by the repeated (mostly implicit) comments that those of us who believe Davidson should maintain the eligibility criteria it’s always had are evincing hostility to Laput.
I don't think you or anyone else taking this position is exhibiting hostility towards Zach. But, perhaps as these comments are under a post welcoming him to the community, it is understandable that folks might see it that way.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:49 am

RichmondCat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:06 am
I don't think you or anyone else taking this position is exhibiting hostility towards Zach. But, perhaps as these comments are under a post welcoming him to the community, it is understandable that folks might see it that way.
+1
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:15 pm

Acorn wrote:
The young man will have a college degree. It's not as if he has evidenced some disdain for school. This isn't Kentucky, bringing 18yo kids in for a semester and a half on their way to the NBA.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:50 pm

Wildcat92 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:15 pm
Acorn wrote:
The young man will have a college degree. It's not as if he has evidenced some disdain for school. This isn't Kentucky, bringing 18yo kids in for a semester and a half on their way to the NBA.
I dont see how we are any different than Kentucky on this one. We are bringing in a one year free agent with no intent to graduate and if lucky he can show enough to get picked up by Euro Pro League. It looks like a "B" level carbon copy. I would love to see the course schedule.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:59 pm

[quote=85Wildcatsky .
[/quote]

I dont see how we are any different than Kentucky on this one. We are bringing in a one year free agent with no intent to graduate and if lucky he can show enough to get picked up by Euro Pro League. It looks like a "B" level carbon copy. I would love to see the course schedule.
[/quote]

Do we have evidence that he will not be degree seeking? Maybe he intends to get a second bachelor's degree. We don't know, and I feel we should give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Regardless, I don't really mind if he doesn't get a Davidson degree. If he's a student of good character, and all signs suggest strongly that he is, then I'm happy to claim him as a Davidson Wildcat.
she/hers

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:46 pm

I think it remains somewhat “lost” on many alumni that mid major basketball of yesterday is gone forever. And to that effect, presents a clear and present danger to programs like Davidson; and ultimately all programs and the colleges endowment and academic vitality.

Because without Davidson Basketball - we are no better than a D3 school. It is our most visible program and one with the most relevance in its ability to benefit other athletics programs.

I too am proud of my degree and the academic rigor under which I earned my degree. But ultimately - I think it’s important to be flexible and adapt to the times and the needs of the athletic department and teams in the current college sports backdrop. In life you’re forced to adapt to stay relevant - we need to find ways to tilt the edge and maintain a competitive position. We need to want more for the program because it deserves it. Its history of accomplishments deserve to never be forgotten and that means we need to be more flexible in casting our “net” in finding players. What’s wrong in aspiring to be like a Gonzaga but academically smarter? There’s plenty of great academic universities with teams with players that should be here at Davidson. Let’s be more creative in recruiting and accepting of a more diverse range of players who want to play here. I trust Matt to immerse them in Davidson way and a standard of performance that all of us will be proud of/ on and off the court