Sounds like a Superhero in the making.

stevelee

Re: Welcome Zach Laput!

Post by stevelee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:19 pm

2008wildcat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 am
Cat Forever wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:48 am
If Zach becomes US President someday we will brag for decades about his attendance at Davidson ... even though he enrolled for only one year.
I bet we'd brag about him even if he just became a US Senator or a cabinet secretary. Looking forward to seeing him play and what he brings to the team.
I was just bragging on a press secretary at lunch today, in the context of the announcement on campus that I skipped.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm

Laput’s video here, plus his scoring stats, suggest a shoot first point guard mentality. Anyone have a contrary view?
Esse Quam Videri

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:06 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm
Laput’s video here, plus his scoring stats, suggest a shoot first point guard mentality. Anyone have a contrary view?
Think JAG.

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 pm

One year does not make a Davidson College student athlete.

We have joined the one and done club.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:49 am

Will the College announce what kind of student Laput will be? Bentley described him as a senior; he was enrolled there for four years; and he has one year of eligibility remaining. But I haven’t seen it confirmed that he will graduate. I don’t like the idea of one-year players, but what makes me more uncomfortable is having nondegree-seeking students (and a certificate is not a degree). So here’s hoping Laput will be at Davidson for one year as a super-senior, I guess.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:44 am

Gibson Jimerson, in his 6th season at SLU, will also be working towards a certificate. He will turn 25 during the season.

“Jimerson will play a sixth year at SLU and after finishing his MBA next month. Next academic year, he’ll focus on earning a certificate in organizational leadership.”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college ... eee6d.html

This is the competitive landscape Davidson finds itself in at the moment as a result of the extra year granted athletes due to the pandemic. Zach has only played three years of college ball because his school didn’t play one full season due to the pandemic. Next season will be the sixth that Jimerson has suited up and played games for SLU. I am very happy Zach will be a Wildcat next season. I might pursue one of those certificate courses in retirement. Maybe play some intramural card games.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:57 am

Davidson has always found itself in a competitive landscape where some programs take student-athletes who could not have met Davidson’s admission standards, have players take coursework that is much easier than what’s on offer at Davidson, and have pushed up against (and even skirted) various NCAA/conference/institution rules about academics and athletics. Some things are more important than the MBB’s W–L record. And Davidson’s struggles on the court the last two years had little to do with the changes to the competitive landscape and a lot to do with the fact that the roster went from one of the best-shooting squads to one of the worst.

I thought our collective pride in Davidson was due to its commitment to (and indeed promotion) of high principles, values, and standards. I didn’t realize it was mere rank tribalism.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:02 am

It's a new era in college athletics and for Davidson College. I believe he will be receiving a certificate. I think the college will look at each athlete as a case by case situation and make their decision accordingly. Welcome Zach.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

cat44

Post by cat44 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:34 am

Acorn wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:57 am
Davidson has always found itself in a competitive landscape where some programs take student-athletes who could not have met Davidson’s admission standards, have players take coursework that is much easier than what’s on offer at Davidson, and have pushed up against (and even skirted) various NCAA/conference/institution rules about academics and athletics. Some things are more important than the MBB’s W–L record. And Davidson’s struggles on the court the last two years had little to do with the changes to the competitive landscape and a lot to do with the fact that the roster went from one of the best-shooting squads to one of the worst.

I thought our collective pride in Davidson was due to its commitment to (and indeed promotion) of high principles, values, and standards. I didn’t realize it was mere rank tribalism.
+1

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:35 am

Where might we learn more about the Davidson certificate program? Is it detailed on the website, and how many different types of such certificates are offered?
Esse Quam Videri

bvgerd

Post by bvgerd » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am

For me, it all depends on how players embrace Davidson's values. If a player comes in and fully engages in the community both academically and otherwise beyond basketball Ill gladly welcome them, even if its just for one year. I certainly think most would agree that Davidson as an institution would place a high degree in value in continued education and learning, even if it is for something less than a second degree.
Last edited by bvgerd on Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:39 am

bvgerd wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am
For me, it all depends on how players embrace Davidson's values. If a player comes in and fully engages in the community both academically and otherwise beyond basketball Ill gladly welcome them, even if its just for one year.
Exactly

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:44 am

bvgerd wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am
For me, it all depends on how players embrace Davidson's values. If a player comes in and fully engages in the community both academically and otherwise beyond basketball Ill gladly welcome them, even if its just for one year. I certainly think most would agree that Davidson as an institution would place a high degree in value in continued education and learning, even if it is for something less than a second degree.
Agreed!

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:52 am

ScootCat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:35 am
Where might we learn more about the Davidson certificate program? Is it detailed on the website, and how many different types of such certificates are offered?
Here's one, maybe? https://hurthub.davidson.edu/applied-en ... rtificate/

Maybe we'll learn about the development of more traditional curriculum-based, regular-class certificates that have the same rigor as majors and minors, just with fewer electives.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.