Post Season Banquet

2018 A10 Champions!
MLC67

Post Season Banquet

Post by MLC67 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:13 am

Scheduled for April 25th on campus. Good opportunity to thank our lads for their TCC. Also, excellent chance to hear about their future plans of humane lives of leadership and service.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

wildforthecats

Re: Post Season Banquet

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:30 am

I will be there.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:57 am

tonight's the night, at least it is for Wild and me.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:40 am

There will be other board members there tonight.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:25 am

I've printed Bobby's certificate, and will put it in the frame this afternoon.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:31 am

Look forward to your reports!

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 am

I don't see how some awkwardness can be avoided. I assume players who have declared for transfer will be there? Or have any of them already left school?
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:01 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 am
I don't see how some awkwardness can be avoided. I assume players who have declared for transfer will be there? Or have any of them already left school?
I think you have to be in school/finish the semester if you are transferring. I expect Grant and David to be there tonight. Doubt the others will. We will know soon enough.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:11 pm

It occurs to me that one of the true losses in this new world of college athletics is the loss of community and long-term friendships and relationships that are formed along the way in the trenches and in the gyms.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:52 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:11 pm
It occurs to me that one of the true losses in this new world of college athletics is the loss of community and long-term friendships and relationships that are formed along the way in the trenches and in the gyms.
I recently wished Happy Birthday on Facebook to Jón Axel’s dad. I don’t imagine that I’ll be picking up more Facebook friends or otherwise in players’ families much any more.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

2008wildcat

Post by 2008wildcat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:16 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:11 pm
Completely. I feel for the players that they (no matter where they are) will miss out on becoming a larger part of the community. If you look at Grant's post on Instagram announcing his transfer to Vanderbilt, one of the congratulatory comments on the post is from Jake Cohen. Grant mentioned in an interview that Jake comes back in the summers to Davidson and Grant got to know him through that. I think all the transferring will prevent friendships like that from forming in the future, or at least make them significantly more difficult to form and maintain.

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:34 pm

I can’t find this on ESPN+
Does anybody have a link?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:26 pm

And the winner is …

The first winner (we think) wanted to pose with the recent winner. Jack is proud of having won this honor, and told me he had kept checking the board back then to see whether he was winning.

Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:45 pm

It was great to see everybody tonight. I sat next to Mike Spann, and our conversation had as much to do with basketball in our era as with the season just past. I really enjoyed the stories.

I spoke with Connor Cochera briefly, and he seems as excited about coming back for another year as we are to have him. Ed Kiser had also talked with him and got the same reaction. I congratulated Connor for the progress he had made this season. The seniors' speeches we good, but to me the best one was that Connor didn't make one.

I met David Skogman's dad and found out that the name is Swedish. I already knew what it meant from my brief study of Norwegian prior to my summer trip. He seems to be a great guy, too. David got rid of the boot yesterday and was wearing dress shoes tonight.

It was great as always to see Grant's parents. I told them we'd give them some slack next season, but we hoped to see them make some games here along in the future.

We missed the transferring players other than the seniors.

Outside the season, I miss the fans other than seeing my neighbors and the guys I play bridge with. So the banquet has some of the feel of a family reunion.

A couple of people asked me about my Avant Garde pin. I think it was Chris Sosnik whom I told that he'd get a pin, too, if he lived long enough. I didn't do the math to say that would be in 2079.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:47 pm

I thought that since we are using Bobby's name, image, and likeness, maybe we should pay him for it. But then I realized that the photograpic, printing, and legal fees would eat up most of the money.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ