The Bright Side of Not Being in Brooklyn Now

2018 A10 Champions!
citycat

The Bright Side of Not Being in Brooklyn Now

Post by citycat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:53 pm

There's a news story about a fight breaking out on a crowded subway car in Brooklyn. An alleged suspect brought out a gun and began shooting. Another passenger overpowered him, took the gun, and the original gunman ended up being shot. The 2nd alleged shooter will not be charged.

I've gone to Conference Tournaments Davidson has played in in Asheville, Greensboro, North Charleston, Charlotte, Brooklyn, and Washington. It would be exceedingly depressing to be shot riding the subway on an off day of the A10 Tournament when Davidson had been eliminated 2 days earlier.
Last edited by citycat on Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevelee

Re: The Bright Side of Not Being in Brooklyn Now

Post by stevelee » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:11 pm

In 1976 I just missed being blown up in the London Underground.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:15 pm

stevelee wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:11 pm
3/15/76?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:47 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:15 pm
stevelee wrote:
3/15/76?
Sounds about right. I know I was there in March. There was more than one explosion, as best I recall. I got to see first hand the English “Keep calm and carry on.” The public service announcements said things like “Hitler couldn’t stop us, so we’re not going to let these *******s either.” We waited a bit for them to clear the tracks and then proceeded along without stopping at that station.

So far Catholics have come closer to killing me than have Muslims. The explosion when I was in Tel Aviv was clear across town.

In Brooklyn, I sometimes chose to walk down a dark, deserted cross street between the arena and my hotel rather than walking a longer lighted and more populated path or waiting for a bus.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:17 pm

I spent quite a bit of time in the Big Apple between the early 90’s and the first few years of the 2010’s. I even met my future wife there in the early 1980’s, so I have lots of fond memories. Unfortunately, however, the sad saga that has transpired there over the past decade or so was largely preventable, but for the pre-programmed voters electing some epically clueless and corrupt politicians who proceeded to methodically destroy a once great American city.
Esse Quam Videri

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:36 pm

stevelee wrote:
My wife and I landed at Heathrow with 120 band members from Concord High School on March 9, 1994, just after the IRA launched a mortar attack on the airport. Thankfully, they aimed at one of the runways and not the terminal building, and none of the shells exploded. Either that, or they were bloody awful shots.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:31 am

ScootCat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:17 pm
I spent quite a bit of time in the Big Apple between the early 90’s and the first few years of the 2010’s. I even met my future wife there in the early 1980’s, so I have lots of fond memories. Unfortunately, however, the sad saga that has transpired there over the past decade or so was largely preventable, but for the pre-programmed voters electing some epically clueless and corrupt politicians who proceeded to methodically destroy a once great American city.
You lived through a period of higher crime rates in NYC than there is now.

nsalem

Post by nsalem » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:43 am

Thank you for your opinion and your political commentary. Here are the facts.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-ci ... in-america

The next 15 cities are
Kalamazoo MI
Salt Lake City UT
Rockford IL
Stockton CA
Greensboro NC
Denver CO
Houston TX
Kansas City MO
Fresno CA
Milwaukee WI
Oklahoma City OK
San Francisco CA
South Bend IN
Greenvile SC
St Louis MO
Flint MI

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:14 pm

The last time I saw a list of the top ten cities in terms of murder rates, three of them were in Louisiana, and did not include New Orleans.

The list was limited to US cities of over 100,000 population, so it did not include Cabot’s Cove, Maine.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

straycat

Post by straycat » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:21 pm

nsalem wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:43 am
Thank you for your opinion and your political commentary. Here are the facts.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-ci ... in-america

The next 15 cities are
Kalamazoo MI
Salt Lake City UT
Rockford IL
Stockton CA
Greensboro NC
Denver CO
Houston TX
Kansas City MO
Fresno CA
Milwaukee WI
Oklahoma City OK
San Francisco CA
South Bend IN
Greenvile SC
St Louis MO
Flint MI

I feel certain you re smarter than I, but it is certainly a report that is dated 2024 but using data from what....2017-18 ish? So don't think we should lecture, in any event, other posters about facts. Crime rate reporting is often filled with footnotes as well qualifying what is reported or not, prosecuted or not, etc. the data you cite does not equal a 2024 report based upon crime in 2024 by city. but what and ever. Crime is increasing unless one wants to deny the obvious. by the way, drive carefully as vehicular homicides such as hit and runs due to this drugged up, unlicensed and distracted driving world are rampant. But wait, maybe the data doesn't support that mean and biased notion....lol.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:45 pm

Violent crime statistics don’t generally separate out those that happen in the victim’s own home, statistically a much more dangerous place than on public transportation.

I’ve never had anybody tell me that they won’t fly because of their fear of the drive to the airport.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:10 pm

You can look at FBI data here: https://cde.ucr.cjis.gov/LATEST/webapp/ ... rime-trend
You can use the explorer tool to look at trends from 1985 (earliest year available) through 2022 (latest year available).

Violent crime in the US has dropped dramatically since a high in 1990 or 1991. There was an uptick in 2020 (especially murders, which is obviously bad), but it’s been mostly trending down since.

https://cde.ucr.cjis.gov/LATEST/webapp/ ... /quarterly

https://counciloncj.org/year-end-2023-crime-trends/

But perceptions and discourse don’t necessarily match the data: https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... -data-say/

Ursa Midmajor

Post by Ursa Midmajor » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:15 pm

Statistics are all spin. On a per minute basis, is it more dangerous in your home, or in your car, or on a subway? Or another way to look at it, if you spent 18 hours a day on a subway, would you be more safe than being home for 18 hours? I used to take the subway to work. Would see crime about once a quarter. Been sitting in my home for at least an average of half a day for 68 years. Haven’t seen a crime yet.
"No one is Steph Curry” ~ Draymond Green

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:27 pm

This article (https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/new ... y-station/) from February 19 says 266 incidents of subway crime year to date (all of which are bad, of course, but not all of which are violent). For ease of calculation, let’s say that’s 10% of the year, so if the rate continued for the rest of the year, that would be 2,660 reported crimes.

How many people ride the subway in NYC? MTA website says 3,200,000 per day (https://new.mta.info/agency/new-york-ci ... rship-2022#). So 1.168 billion per year.

2,660 reported crimes/1,168,000,000 rides = 0.000002277 reported crimes/rides

Spin could push those numbers up or down a bit, but the overall takeaway strongly suggests that most NYC subway rides will be crime free. That’s true even if one in a thousand crimes become reported crimes.

EDIT: Edited to add links.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:41 pm

Some seem to be assuming FBI national crime reports are complete and accurate.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.