Portal

2018 A10 Champions!
ScootCat

Re: Portal

Post by ScootCat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:10 pm

Can you imagine being a college head coach now? Hope Skogman finds a good home. He was a perfect fit here. Damn!
Esse Quam Videri

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:24 pm

There’s no reason for Skog to put his life on hold and delay graduation. If he can get somebody to pay for grad school, then good for him.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

JoMo

Post by JoMo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:46 pm

With the exit and /or graduation of Brizzi, Huffman, Moss, Spadone, Skogman and Schulte, Davidson is losing 2610 minutes played (out of 6500).
https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/davidson
TCC - trust, commitment, care

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:58 pm

cat44 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:06 pm
jamesdhogan wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:08 am
i77cat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:25 am
raptorcat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:43 pm
i77cat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:31 pm
Keyshawn Hall is in the portal. Can't beat him, but maybe we can buy him.

My neighbor asked me what I would do with the payout if I won the current NC lottery, which has surpassed $1 billion. I unhesitatingly said I'd give $25 million to the Davidson collective, so we wouldn't have to worry about all this crap anymore.
25M would be a nice start. Invested well, that'd give us a nice chunk of cash every year. A true tithe would probably be enough to cover all of our scholarship athletes, pay solid NIL money, provide for growth of the Raptor Fund, and even supplement the salaries for some of our assistant coaches. I hope you win soon.
I love you guys, and I know this is a hypothetical among hypotheticals, and I always hesitate to be critical of the institution, and I hope you all win the lottery. In many ways, you already have.

But this--exactly this--highlights why the NIL absurdity illustrates all that is wrong/stupid about collegiate sports. Davidson's purpose is to assist students in developing humane instincts and disciplined and creative minds for lives of leadership and service. It is really hard for me to begin wrapping my head around how tying up tens of millions of dollars to compensate athletes so that they will simply remain and compete while wearing red and black serves that purpose, even if it's just house money from a lotto ticket.

I love you guys, and I love your basketball team, but I love it because it has always done the unconventional, right thing. You all can play basketball any way you like, and you've long chosen to do it a way that I think is honest, fair, and good. A Davidson education is an incredibly valuable thing to give to any student, whether they can dribble or not. Giving students a free car or a six-figure income just to get them on the team troubles that for me.
Absolutely. When I was in Detroit in 2008 I said that that was enough to last the rest of my life. Still stand by that. Am no longer as big on Davidson as I once was, but if we go the way the rest of the colleges seem to be going, I will cease being a fan.
Why are we only offended when the kids cease making money for the universities for free?
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:59 pm

Glass half full. If things settle down, I am pretty stoked going into next year with a core of Durkin, Adams, Logan, Kochera and Bailey.

I just hope the departures are because of money or playing time. I am somewhat worried that the players are not buying into Matt or his offense.

FWIW, I can't see there being a lot of interest in our departing players. Grant would be a solid pick up for a team that needs a point. The rest have issues.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:00 pm

As for the portal, I'm sorry about Skogman, would have liked to have seen him come back, but guys who can graduate should go ahead and do it. Davidson offers no grad programs, on purpose and as part of our mission. They should sally forth and play wherever they can. That seems a temporary problem brought about by the Covid year - which was a worthwhile exception that I understand is now expiring.

I have no problem with Skogman, et al, pursuing a 5th year somewhere they can get a grad degree. More power to them.

The sophomore who had a chance to lead our team next year? That's a totally different issue and one we are right to ask about.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:07 pm

Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:01 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:10 pm
Can you imagine being a college head coach now? Hope Skogman finds a good home. He was a perfect fit here. Damn!
I believe this was always the plan.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:40 am

I am not so sure.

loosha's lad

Post by loosha's lad » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:30 pm

Wildcat92 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:58 pm
cat44 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:06 pm
jamesdhogan wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:08 am
i77cat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:25 am
raptorcat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:43 pm
i77cat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:31 pm
Keyshawn Hall is in the portal. Can't beat him, but maybe we can buy him.

My neighbor asked me what I would do with the payout if I won the current NC lottery, which has surpassed $1 billion. I unhesitatingly said I'd give $25 million to the Davidson collective, so we wouldn't have to worry about all this crap anymore.
25M would be a nice start. Invested well, that'd give us a nice chunk of cash every year. A true tithe would probably be enough to cover all of our scholarship athletes, pay solid NIL money, provide for growth of the Raptor Fund, and even supplement the salaries for some of our assistant coaches. I hope you win soon.
I love you guys, and I know this is a hypothetical among hypotheticals, and I always hesitate to be critical of the institution, and I hope you all win the lottery. In many ways, you already have.

But this--exactly this--highlights why the NIL absurdity illustrates all that is wrong/stupid about collegiate sports. Davidson's purpose is to assist students in developing humane instincts and disciplined and creative minds for lives of leadership and service. It is really hard for me to begin wrapping my head around how tying up tens of millions of dollars to compensate athletes so that they will simply remain and compete while wearing red and black serves that purpose, even if it's just house money from a lotto ticket.

I love you guys, and I love your basketball team, but I love it because it has always done the unconventional, right thing. You all can play basketball any way you like, and you've long chosen to do it a way that I think is honest, fair, and good. A Davidson education is an incredibly valuable thing to give to any student, whether they can dribble or not. Giving students a free car or a six-figure income just to get them on the team troubles that for me.
Absolutely. When I was in Detroit in 2008 I said that that was enough to last the rest of my life. Still stand by that. Am no longer as big on Davidson as I once was, but if we go the way the rest of the colleges seem to be going, I will cease being a fan.
Why are we only offended when the kids cease making money for the universities for free?
Well, hold on. It seems sort of old-fashioned now, but is a full ride to study at Davidson College not to be considered meaningful "compensation" any longer? I used to believe that was the case, but those waters have gotten awfully muddy.

TOK

Post by TOK » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:45 pm

I question whether basketball at Davidson is making the school money. Isn't any excess raised over cost going directly into women's sports and the non-revenue men's sports?

Athletics at Davidson doesn't "make money" for the school. I don't think that there is any extra that the school brings in to give to scholarship athletes above and beyond tuition, room and board.

There are a handful of programs at the top where basketball and football are an ATM for the school, but Davidson isn't one of them.

BDF

Post by BDF » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:50 pm

Yet, the Universities where players generate millions of dollars still aren’t sharing that money with their players, but rather getting others to pay them. It’s a brilliant business model.

It’s amazing that even pre-NIL, universities generating millions in TV contracts were convincing their boosters that they needed donations.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:04 pm

BDF wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:50 pm
Yet, the Universities where players generate millions of dollars still aren’t sharing that money with their players, but rather getting others to pay them. It’s a brilliant business model.

It’s amazing that even pre-NIL, universities generating millions in TV contracts were convincing their boosters that they needed donations.
Great perspective and true. NIL is hear to stay but the NCAA has to do something about unlimited transfering. Guys taking one or two classes is making a mockery out of an already sad state of a college education.

The word education has been adulterated. For most schools a college education is basically white collar trade school, and with some majors it isn't even that.
There are some exceptions, but the classically educated man, who could speak a foreign language, perhaps even Latin, versed in music, art, history, economics, the classics and have the ability to think and question is long gone.

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:11 pm

In the sense that spending money on advertising doesn't produce offsetting advertising revenue, you are right, but the return on Division 1 sports shows up in many indirect ways, including applications for admissions, donations (and especially major donations,) brand recognition in general, jobs - or maybe just interviews - for graduates owing to name recognition, and on and on. In the sense that it is a potentially close to break-even marketing thing, it works wonderfully. It helps tremendously when the teams or just one of the teams has that national reputation and recognition. Go to a job interview as a soon-to-be Davidson grad in late March and see if anybody asks how your team did. It matters.

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:15 pm

"There are some exceptions, but the classically educated man, who could speak a foreign language, perhaps even Latin, versed in music, art, history, economics, the classics and have the ability to think and question is long gone."

(or woman)

I get your point, but I disagree. There a still a lot of liberal arts people graduating every year. They are also a lot more diverse than 20 years ago, and they are doing some really interesting things in the world.