Portal

2018 A10 Champions!
TOK

Re: Portal

Post by TOK » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:05 am

Acorn wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:56 am
Davidson has and has had two collectives, one of them since collectives were first a thing. Dollars from collectives and NIL do not come from the schools and are not directed by coaches (although there is plenty of collusion). Davidson has never successfully competed for recruits against the programs whose donors are currently contributing the most to collectives. Jackson Simmons and Luke Maye both took preferred walkon spots at UNC versus scholarships and likely starting/starring roles at Davidson. We lost Sam Singer to Cal. Ryan Kelly lost interest once Duke et al. came calling. Samir Sehic chose Vanderbilt. G.G. Goloman went to UCLA. Tyson Hunter, Gabe DeVoe, and Catalin Baciu went to Clemson. Riley Battin and Jakob Poeltl went to Utah. LaVell Blanchard went to Michigan. Tom Knight went to Notre Dame. The list goes on and on. Post-Lefty Davidson has almost always lost recruiting battles to bigger programs, regardless of NIL.

I find it hard to believe that the collectives at our actual competition actually have that much more money than Davidson. Yale just won a game. They don’t even have scholarships. Do we think Oakland has more NIL money than Davidson?
The 24-year old young man who hit 10 3 point shots for Oakland against Kentucky is a grad student playing in his sixth year post high school. He was at D2 Hillsborough College for a redshirt year and four years on the court. He didn't really play until his 4th year on campus. Good for him, but I will be glad when the extra Covid years are over.

TOK

Post by TOK » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 am

Maybe it is just the way message boards go, but it seems like we have a fair amount of complaints about the performance of players, and then moaning when they go into the portal. To be fair, the folks complaining about performance may not be the same folks who then moan abut these players entering the portal, frankly I have trouble keeping up with all the "negative waves."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:22 am

Acorn wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:23 am
5) Lanier left with three years of eligibility to join his father at SMU. Understandable.
So Emory has another year left? I hope so. As an SMU alumnus I watch some of their games anyway. With them in the ACC, I should be able to see more of their games and more likely to keep up with them. I watch TV somewhat selectively, usually two channels at a time, switching when commercials come on. I switched to SMU's NIT game in time to see Emory make a 3. He seems to be a credible bench player for them. (I don't know what the Texas equivalent of Colt 45 might be or if he'd win. There are some local brands, and Pabst is now HQ'd in San Antonio. I don't know whether any of them are nasty enough, and don't plan to find out.)

He expressed mixed feelings upon leaving that sounded heart-felt. He's been back to visit friends, so apparently still on good terms.

As for Ford, I particularly regret losing local kids. His parents were certainly faithful in coming to watch him not play. I've lost track, but I hope things are working out well for him.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:26 am

The big boys are giddy. Sure they'll lose some games to lesser leagues, but that shows them where they should poach. Players who show potential at our level will get opportunities to move up. The question isn't whether or not we can outbid Oakland and Furman. The question is whether or not we can outbid Wake and Oklahoma when they come hunting for players. The answer is we that we can, but we won't. Somebody should be offering Bobby Durkin $100K right now. Would we choose to match it? It'll get much worse. Baseball and football programs will start treating us like a farm system very soon.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:28 am

stevelee wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:22 am
Acorn wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:23 am
5) Lanier left with three years of eligibility to join his father at SMU. Understandable.
So Emory has another year left? I hope so. As an SMU alumnus I watch some of their games anyway. With them in the ACC, I should be able to see more of their games and more likely to keep up with them. I watch TV somewhat selectively, usually two channels at a time, switching when commercials come on. I switched to SMU's NIT game in time to see Emory make a 3. He seems to be a credible bench player for them. (I don't know what the Texas equivalent of Colt 45 might be or if he'd win. There are some local brands, and Pabst is now HQ'd in San Antonio. I don't know whether any of them are nasty enough, and don't plan to find out.)

He expressed mixed feelings upon leaving that sounded heart-felt. He's been back to visit friends, so apparently still on good terms.

As for Ford, I particularly regret losing local kids. His parents were certainly faithful in coming to watch him not play. I've lost track, but I hope things are working out well for him.
Averaged 16 minutes and 3.2 ppg for Robert Morris this year.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:35 am

i77cat wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:36 am
NIL is a factor now and a big one. Honest programs can offer big dollars once someone is in the portal. The others will continue to offer it before an athlete declares an intent to transfer.

This should be a huge weekend in the portal. We'll get down to just 16 teams left in the Dance. Hundreds of new names will flood the portal.
As I ate a lovely late breakfast I switched on the TV, and was watching a search for wrecked alien crafts in the Bermuda Triangle. When a commercial came on, I hit the Last button, and was taken to WBTV. There was a Michigan State player from Africa who set up a foundation to help his home village with his MIL money, since he couldn't benefit from it personally. Besides showing video of the village and its progress, they interviewed both the player and Izzo. Apparently NIL would be less of a factor against us with international students.

Watching the Bermuda Triangle show reminded me of my misadventures with the Triangle. If we ever get desperate enough for me to do another one-off thread start, remind me to tell the story "A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the Way to Turkey."
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

PsychoCat

Post by PsychoCat » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:38 am

I think I read that Lanier was relieved of coaching duties at SMU.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:49 am

Another WTF? They went 20-13 this year. They improved over his 1st season.

Somebody will hire him. If they have a brain (meaning they give him 3 or 4 years) they’ll end up w a successful program.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:12 pm

catnhat wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:49 am
Another WTF? They went 20-13 this year. They improved over his 1st season.

Somebody will hire him. If they have a brain (meaning they give him 3 or 4 years) they’ll end up w a successful program.
They did lose six out of their last seven.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:13 pm

I'm definitely not ponying up then.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:17 pm

I just confirmed that on ESPN site. Rats. I was looking forward to following them next season. Could Emory transfer back and use his last season?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:19 pm

I just texted back to SMU:

"No way now."
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

CatDawg

Post by CatDawg » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:23 pm

Give to the Davidson Collective…we need it more than you think! New World order…

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:36 pm

stevelee wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:17 pm
I just confirmed that on ESPN site. Rats. I was looking forward to following them next season. Could Emory transfer back and use his last season?
There were several Davidson students in my era who would leave for a year or a year and a half and come back to graduate.

pdxcat77 was a prominent example. Dr. Lester told him Davidson wouldn't accept any more credits from the University of Arkansas for him. pdx told him he didn't care if they did.

Emory had a good year at SMU. Having him finish up at Davidson would be easier than bringing in a transfer who'd never been to Davidson before.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:55 pm

Maybe we could bring his father, too.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge