Portal

2018 A10 Champions!
catseye

Re: Portal

Post by catseye » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:26 pm

JerseyLawyer wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:50 pm
Jarvis is an athletic 3-point shooter who couldn't shoot.
I was thinking the same thing. He has the length and athleticism to be a great player. But he shot 23% from the field and 8% from 3pt. I wish him nothing but the best. I had high hopes.
"He scores 30 points and he thinks he can call me Bob."

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:27 pm

Spadone surprises me. I thought he had a good niche here as an 8-12 min per game player, which I think fits his talent level.
He might play more with a Colonial/Patriot level team.

We might need Coval to play next year, depending on what we do in the portal.

I am sad to see Jarvis go, but he just never found himself on the court. His dunk v. UMass was the highlight of his Davidson career, but without checking I doubt he made more than 3-4 three point shots all year.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Spadone came as a walk-on. He has played well enough to merit a scholarship somewhere.

Aside- the Colonial Athletic Association is no more. Now they’re the Coastal Athletic Association.

GoCats

Post by GoCats » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:37 pm

Spadone was arguably our second best defender and our second best shooter amongst guards. I wondered why he didn't start or get a lot more minutes. I think he was just flat out better than people expected but were generally biased because he was a walk-on. I thought he would start next year for the Cats.
"That wasn't an upset tonight," Kansas coach Bill Self said glumly. "They controlled the game," Self said. "They whipped us."
Davidson 80 Kansas 74

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:59 pm

I was under the impression that Spadone was given a scholarship, but I could be wrong.

As for the Colonial, I will just keep calling it the Colonial. I'm resistant to P.R. change.

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:34 am

How far in the portal do you have to go to not be able to go back where you came from?

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:42 am

JCDC wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:34 am
How far in the portal do you have to go to not be able to go back where you came from?
Existential question?
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:59 am

And why does the 'portal' period open when it does ?

Imagine if baseball free agency opened the first of October .
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:45 am

I dare say that the issue for Spadone is purely playing time. I don't think the lack of scholarship was the issue.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

2008wildcat

Post by 2008wildcat » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:07 am

JCDC wrote:
This is a great question that I would like to know the answer to.

My other portal related question is- If you enter the portal, are you officially off the team and asked to clear out your locker? I imagine this varies school by school, but seems like you cut yourself off from benefits/access when you enter the portal and just curious how that works.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:17 am

I wouldn't be surprised if some kids just want to explore how much they might be worth in the exploding NIL market.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:41 pm

2008wildcat wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:07 am
JCDC wrote:

My other portal related question is- If you enter the portal, are you officially off the team and asked to clear out your locker? I imagine this varies school by school, but seems like you cut yourself off from benefits/access when you enter the portal and just curious how that works.
Michael Katsock was in the portal. i don’t know of anything he was kicked out of, including helping manage $600,000 of the college’s funds.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

TOK

Post by TOK » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:03 pm

stevelee wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:41 pm
2008wildcat wrote:
JCDC wrote:

Michael Katsock was in the portal. i don’t know of anything he was kicked out of, including helping manage $600,000 of the college’s funds.
I know of several football players who were "in the portal" as a result of an impending coaching change (head coach left, interim coach likely not getting the permanent job) who played in their bowl games. So, you don't have to pack up all your stuff when you go in the portal, unless the coach tells you to. With coaching changes, the new coach usually has a chance to try and keep the guys he wants, if the new coach is hired in time.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:02 pm

TOK wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:03 pm
stevelee wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:41 pm
2008wildcat wrote:
JCDC wrote:

I know of several football players who were "in the portal" as a result of an impending coaching change (head coach left, interim coach likely not getting the permanent job) who played in their bowl games. So, you don't have to pack up all your stuff when you go in the portal, unless the coach tells you to. With coaching changes, the new coach usually has a chance to try and keep the guys he wants, if the new coach is hired in time.
I think it all depends on your transfer/portal interview. If you are a Mike Jones, Grant Hoffman, David Skogman - exercised their undergraduate days and going to get a Davidson degree, but transferring to use an "extra" year so you can get your Masters degree, I think that you are welcome to work out and remain a part of the team. In Michael's case, I'm speculating that he told staff that he may enter the portal to maybe entertain if there were any playing options at other levels, but if something didn't float his boat, he would love to come back. I'm guessing no one is asking him to pack up his locker.

With AC, Rikus and Jarvis, where they may perceive and be politely saying you are under using my talents and I want out of here, then who knows. I'm guessing if their hearts are elsewhere, it probably just happens naturally.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:22 pm

Where your treasure is, there will your hearts be also.

I think I read that somewhere.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ