Portal

2018 A10 Champions!
Jay Catsby

Re: Portal

Post by Jay Catsby » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:14 pm

For every 4 year guy you’re thinking of that blossomed, there are several that barely saw the court all four years.

We’ll (presumably) never get to know what Spadone and Rikus could have become as Davidson upperclassmen. Which is a bummer because they’re both really talented, good kids, and have upside.

But to just assume they would turn into even what Grant Huffman was this year is a big leap.

BaseRich306

Post by BaseRich306 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 pm

I wasn't assuming they'd turn into Grant. But if you get senior Rusty Reigel and senior Oskar Michelsen or Nathan Ekwu, that's still big.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:31 pm

Dang. This one makes me really sad. I loved watching Achile play.
she/hers

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:14 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:31 pm
Dang. This one makes me really sad. I loved watching Achile play.
Liked watching him play also, good defender. Perhaps Huffman is coming back, because I thought Spadone would get decent playing time next year.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:11 pm

Achile and Rikus can make contributions on better teams. Good for them. Bad for us.

The A10 defectors will spike once the NCAA and NIT tournaments get started. All of our NIT teams are underdogs. So is Duquesne. I don't know about Dayton. Haven't looked at the bracket. I don't even know who they are playing.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:13 pm

If we want the portal to give more than it takes, I suggest joining me in making a donation to https://exit30collective.org/

While this might feel different than a donation to the college, it is still supporting our athletes and, by doing that, it is supporting our programs and the college itself.

citycat

Post by citycat » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 pm

BaseRich306 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 pm
I wasn't assuming they'd turn into Grant. But if you get senior Rusty Reigel and senior Oskar Michelsen or Nathan Ekwu, that's still big.
Nathan Ekwu was better as a freshman than a senior. He only played 13 games and less than 100 minutes as a senior.

If he had stayed healthy and progressed from his freshman year, he would have been very good.

BaseRich306

Post by BaseRich306 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 pm

citycat wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 pm
BaseRich306 wrote:
Nathan Ekwu was better as a freshman than a senior. He only played 13 games and less than 100 minutes as a senior.

If he had stayed healthy and progressed from his freshman year, he would have been very good.
Ok, feel free to continue nitpicking my point that I'm dismayed we won't get these guys for four years. This board sometimes.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:26 pm

Odds are they would have stayed four years were it not for the damned portal. Que sera sera.
Esse Quam Videri

bvgerd

Post by bvgerd » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:42 pm

Im sad to see Achile and Rikus in the portal, one of my favorite things about college basketball was seeing players develop and improve over 4 years especially for guys starting off as bench players and earning bigger roles. I understand the motivation for them to look for more playing time, and am glad that the rules now allow players to have more freedom in looking to do whats best for them, but I am sad that we lost something i thought was special about college sports in the process.

From a glass half-full perspective, there will be a lot of very talented players in the transfer portal and this is an opportunity to add players to address current holes in the roster (shooting) that we otherwise wouldnt have had the scholarships for.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:26 pm

citycat wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 pm
BaseRich306 wrote:

It seems to me that Ekwu improved into his second year before he got hurt. Nathan helped pull out the home game vs Mercer. Also, he was a dynamo in the first half of the Kansas game his junior season.

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:20 pm

I am reminded of Newton
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

I think it is wise to really analyze if the portal is for Davidson.

We bring in Foster and have some success and get an NCAA bid but Grant spends more time in a non starting role. Does that hurt us more in the long haul?

Achile seems to have some great developmental talent. We squash him by bringing in Brizzi. Net win or loss?

Rikus shows some potential as a freshmen but Skogman decides to come back. Rikus goes elsewhere for minutes.

Would we be better off just staying loyal to our own recruits and helping them develop in our system. It is hard to ride the bench, busting you butt to improve only to be pushed further down the bench for a portal player who has no understanding of the system.

On the other hand the portal is so late in the year, your departures almost force you to play the game to fill big voids in your roster.

It is just plain stupid to open the portal during the tourney.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

graveline

Post by graveline » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:55 pm

I referenced this in an NIL thread, but obviously the difference between coaches being able to bail on a moments notice (didn’t Tommy tuberville famously sneak out of a bathroom mid recruiting dinner?) and students being tethered was base hypocrisy. My dream would have been the pendulum swinging the other way, with coaches forced to sit out a year, or till all their recruits left before moving to greener pastures, but obviously that is the stuff of fantasies
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:10 pm

I expected this. Two Three months ago I emailed someone that Achile and another player looked like transfer threats. The other player was not Rikus.
Last edited by Waitress on Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:39 pm

To recruit shooters, I suggest we not try poaching Virginia. Losing to Colorado State 27-14 at the half. Now 35-14 at 17:01.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ