2018 A10 Champions!
DC69Wildcat

Re: In Game: A-10 Round One vs Fordham

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:27 pm

stevelee wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:17 pm
MrMac wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:50 pm
I've just got the two digits behind the decimal, enough to remind me of Steph's birthday today.
Also Einstein, and composers Telemann, Couperin, and the elder Johann Strauss.

Supposedly, Einstein played the violin relatively well.
And my oldest grandchild, Andrew.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:29 pm

Einstein raised a question about traveling in your car near the speed of light. What if you turn on the headlights? What would that look like? He said the lights would look just the same. He didn’t address how you could change the oil every 10,000 miles.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

JerseyLawyer

Post by JerseyLawyer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:49 pm

The only Albert Einstein I follow uses the stage name of Albert Brooks

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:17 pm

JerseyLawyer wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:49 pm
Ha. Learn something new everyday.

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:48 pm

Steve Rodgers wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:17 pm
JerseyLawyer wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:49 pm
Ha. Learn something new everyday.
Imagine showing up your first day of college and introducing yourself to your hallmates - “Hi, I’m Albert. Albert Einstein.” First person to tell you they can’t believe your parents named you that is your best friend for life.

JerseyLawyer

Post by JerseyLawyer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:56 am

I highly recommend Rob Reiner's documentary on MAX about his best friend from middle school. Albert Brooks is a genius. It's hysterical.

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:18 am

Cat Forever wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:22 am
Steve Rodgers wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:37 pm
Cat Forever wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:15 pm
Tom Burleson was the best player in the best college basketball game ever played. He was decisively better than David Thompson that day. And he beat the crap out of Lefty's All Americans Elmore and McMillen. He could teach the Davidson players a lot. Excellent shot blocker, rebounder, passer, and shooter on short to mid range jumpers (face up) and great touch on a hook shot (back to the basket).

A member of this forum faced the Wolfpack a couple of times in the Thompson/Burleson days ... I have a vague memory that Burleson blocked one of his shots in Charlotte when he drove for what looked like a score ... then Thompson skied to an unbelievable height to get the deflected shot ... maybe in 73 or 74? It was a competitive game that State won by 10 or 12 points.
Subject to correction by the Wizards, who apparently know more about my Davidson past than I do, it was in Dec 72 in Coliseum. Very competitive game, it was early in the game-maybe my first shot a baby hook floater- that was blocked from behind. I always thought it was Thompson.
December 72. OK. Fits because my best friend from high school came to the game with me so it was during Christmas break. When he saw Thompson sky for the deflected ball he said he'd never seen anyone jump that high before! And he (Danny Prater) was the Georgia AA state high jump champion in 1970 at 6'6" so he had seen many athletes go airborne. Thompson may have been closer to Steve Rodgers than Burleson on that play but with his 7'6" wingspan Burleson could block shots from the next zip code. My recollection is that Burleson got the block but it has been 51+ years! Does Steve Rodgers recall that Thompson jumped to catch the deflection?
I recommend stopping by NC State to see the new David Thompson statue outside of Reynolds. The slightly-larger-than-lifesize statue is placed on a 44-inch plinth with his vertical leap marked with a hash. It's kind of stunning to be 73" tall and stand next to that and see just how high up he could go.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15