In Game: A-10 Round One vs Fordham

2018 A10 Champions!
ScootCat

Re: In Game: A-10 Round One vs Fordham

Post by ScootCat » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:25 pm

I beg to differ. Smart and effective low post moves will never go out of style. Just ask DeMon Brooks and Luka.
Esse Quam Videri

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:28 pm

But Brooks and Luka played a lot with their face to the basket and dribbled to create their own shots or shot jumpers. Tommy Burleson, all 7'2" of him, was mostly if not exclusively a back to the basket player who played catch with Monty Towe until one of them noticed David Thompson was open on the wing.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:30 pm

One of our most effective rebounding and dunking big men since I got involved with Davidson actually lives in Davidson. Get Lovedale over there!
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:30 pm

Wildcat92 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:22 pm
The game Tommy played no longer exists.
It does, except the players needs to have a good 15 foot shot also, 20 foot even better, a la Skogman

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:40 pm

Burleson often shot and made fifteen foot jumpers. He was by no means one dimensional. Regarding Luka and Brooks, both scored most of their points in the paint. They also occasionally nailed three’s as well.
Esse Quam Videri

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:15 pm

Tom Burleson was the best player in the best college basketball game ever played. He was decisively better than David Thompson that day. And he beat the crap out of Lefty's All Americans Elmore and McMillen. He could teach the Davidson players a lot. Excellent shot blocker, rebounder, passer, and shooter on short to mid range jumpers (face up) and great touch on a hook shot (back to the basket).

A member of this forum faced the Wolfpack a couple of times in the Thompson/Burleson days ... I have a vague memory that Burleson blocked one of his shots in Charlotte when he drove for what looked like a score ... then Thompson skied to an unbelievable height to get the deflected shot ... maybe in 73 or 74? It was a competitive game that State won by 10 or 12 points.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:56 pm

Thanks for chiming in on Burleson. He was an all-time great, and as fundamentally sound a player as you will ever see.
Esse Quam Videri

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:37 pm

Cat Forever wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:15 pm
Tom Burleson was the best player in the best college basketball game ever played. He was decisively better than David Thompson that day. And he beat the crap out of Lefty's All Americans Elmore and McMillen. He could teach the Davidson players a lot. Excellent shot blocker, rebounder, passer, and shooter on short to mid range jumpers (face up) and great touch on a hook shot (back to the basket).

A member of this forum faced the Wolfpack a couple of times in the Thompson/Burleson days ... I have a vague memory that Burleson blocked one of his shots in Charlotte when he drove for what looked like a score ... then Thompson skied to an unbelievable height to get the deflected shot ... maybe in 73 or 74? It was a competitive game that State won by 10 or 12 points.
Subject to correction by the Wizards, who apparently know more about my Davidson past than I do, it was in Dec 72 in Coliseum. Very competitive game, it was early in the game-maybe my first shot a baby hook floater- that was blocked from behind. I always thought it was Thompson.
Last edited by Steve Rodgers on Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:22 am

Steve Rodgers wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:37 pm
Cat Forever wrote:

Subject to correction by the Wizards, who apparently know more about my Davidson past than I do, it was in Dec 72 in Coliseum. Very competitive game, it was early in the game-maybe my first shot a baby hook floater- that was blocked from behind. I always thought it was Thompson.
December 72. OK. Fits because my best friend from high school came to the game with me so it was during Christmas break. When he saw Thompson sky for the deflected ball he said he'd never seen anyone jump that high before! And he (Danny Prater) was the Georgia AA state high jump champion in 1970 at 6'6" so he had seen many athletes go airborne. Thompson may have been closer to Steve Rodgers than Burleson on that play but with his 7'6" wingspan Burleson could block shots from the next zip code. My recollection is that Burleson got the block but it has been 51+ years! Does Steve Rodgers recall that Thompson jumped to catch the deflection?
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:37 pm

Ursa Midmajor wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:54 pm
Time for some offseason math problems
Happy Pi Day!

Here’s a simple question: how many digits of pi after the decimal point do you know off the top of your head?

10 for me. I could probably come up with a few more with a bit of thought. I have no need to know them. Nine digits are good enough to get earth’s within a quarter inch, or something like that.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:37 pm

Cat Forever wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:22 am
Steve Rodgers wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:37 pm
Cat Forever wrote:

December 72. OK. Fits because my best friend from high school came to the game with me so it was during Christmas break. When he saw Thompson sky for the deflected ball he said he'd never seen anyone jump that high before! And he (Danny Prater) was the Georgia AA state high jump champion in 1970 at 6'6" so he had seen many athletes go airborne. Thompson may have been closer to Steve Rodgers than Burleson on that play but with his 7'6" wingspan Burleson could block shots from the next zip code. My recollection is that Burleson got the block but it has been 51+ years! Does Steve Rodgers recall that Thompson jumped to catch the deflection?
My sporadic recollection is that there was a lot of noise, apparently reacting to the leaping by Thompson, which I did not see. That action was behind me.
I never did see the game film. Which brings up one of the disappointments I experienced at DU: The coaches didn’t believe much in individual players watching film, other than whole team watching w coaches running the projector. I had to ask to watch film and they didn’t like it. In high school I had unfettered access to game film, and spent my study halls (coaches got me excused) watching. Never understood why Terry didn’t really want us doing that on our own.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:50 pm

stevelee wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:37 pm
Ursa Midmajor wrote:
Happy Pi Day!

Here’s a simple question: how many digits of pi after the decimal point do you know off the top of your head?

10 for me. I could probably come up with a few more with a bit of thought. I have no need to know them. Nine digits are good enough to get earth’s within a quarter inch, or something like that.
I've just got the two digits behind the decimal, enough to remind me of Steph's birthday today.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:11 pm

MrMac wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:50 pm
stevelee wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:37 pm
Ursa Midmajor wrote:
Happy Pi Day!

I've just got the two digits behind the decimal, enough to remind me of Steph's birthday today.
I read today that 22/7 is a better approximation of π than is 3.14. Both are close enough for most everyday purposes.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:17 pm

MrMac wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:50 pm
Also Einstein, and composers Telemann, Couperin, and the elder Johann Strauss.

Supposedly, Einstein played the violin relatively well.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:12 pm

Artists all. A good day to be born.