In Game: at St. Joe's

2018 A10 Champions!
jamesdhogan

Re: In Game: at St. Joe's

Post by jamesdhogan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:25 am

About a year ago, I was at the national AGB (the Association of Governing Boards of Colleges and Universities) conference in Texas. By far, the busiest, most-crowded session (and the one with an armada of raised hands afterwards for questions) was the session led by Power 5 conference legal counsels and ADs. The general gist: we're barely keeping up, and tomorrow this session is outdated. Godspeed.
The artist formerly known as Freehold.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:42 pm

From an email advertising Davidson’s “Back to School” programs:
The NCAA Transfer Portal, NIL and Davidson Athletics
with w/Chris Clunie ‘06, Vice President and Director of Davidson Athletics; Scott Abell, Davidson Head Football Coach; Matt McKillop ‘06, Davidson Head Men’s Basketball Coach; Eddie Williamson ’74, retired college football coach and former Davidson football player; and Steve Shankweiler ‘74, retired high school and football coach, Current Director of High School and Alumni Relations at East Carolina University and former Davidson football player

Tuesday, April 30, 2024
7:30-8:30 p.m. ET
Zoom - Link sent with registration
Sponsored by the Class of 1974 Reunion Committee

The landscape of college athletics is evolving rapidly, and Davidson is at the forefront of these changes. Join us for a captivating discussion led by a distinguished panel of current Davidson coaches and former Davidson athletes with long careers coaching intercollegiate athletics as they dive into the impact of recent regulations surrounding the NCAA Transfer Portal and NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) on collegiate sports programs across the nation, including here at Davidson. This is your chance to gain valuable insights from experts in the field, explore how these changes are reshaping the collegiate sports landscape, and learn how Davidson is adapting to ensure our student-athletes continue to thrive in this dynamic environment.

Click here to register. Please register by Monday, April 29.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:32 pm

Signed up.

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:42 pm

I doubt any of our coaches are throwing players under the bus. They restrain from making comments publicly and privately about many of the people that post on this board. Many of you shake their hands and look them in the face, yet they know who you are on the messageboard and the comments you choose to make. Thankfully they abstain reading most of the crap that is posted here.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:09 pm

Big Brother is a Wildcat?

cat44

Post by cat44 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 pm

TiredCat88 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:42 pm
I doubt any of our coaches are throwing players under the bus. They restrain from making comments publicly and privately about many of the people that post on this board. Many of you shake their hands and look them in the face, yet they know who you are on the messageboard and the comments you choose to make. Thankfully they abstain reading most of the crap that is posted here.
What the hell are you talking about? maybe you need a nap. Highly recommended.

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:03 pm

cat44 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 pm
TiredCat88 wrote:
Just saying the coaching staff knows who belongs to many of the pseudonyms used on the message board. Obviously Stevelee, i77cat, collegecoach, wildforthecats, mikemaloy, Stan and a few others are pretty obvious, but they are quite aware of many others. Any coach or player should avoid reading such lovely material, but they look at it much more than they will ever admit.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm

I stopped posting here for several years because someone tried to dox me and get me fired and all cyber signs pointed to someone on this board so maybe let's not make insinuations about everyone's real identities here please and thanks
she/hers

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:35 pm

TiredCat88 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:03 pm
cat44 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 pm
TiredCat88 wrote:
Just saying the coaching staff knows who belongs to many of the pseudonyms used on the message board. Obviously Stevelee, i77cat, collegecoach, wildforthecats, mikemaloy, Stan and a few others are pretty obvious, but they are quite aware of many others. Any coach or player should avoid reading such lovely material, but they look at it much more than they will ever admit.
I find it hard to believe that any coach would be offended by any of stevelee's bland, inoffensive comments (or my own postings, which are generally designed to mix a little humor into the discussion or to introduce readers to eclectic topics). Others mentioned by tiredcat88 are possibly performing a valuable service by calling attention to what's on the minds of some of the program's most fervent and knowledgeable fans. Constructive criticism can be a good thing. I, for one, hope that coaches read them and appreciate how savvy and passionate our posters are, for the most part. They can decide for themselves whether to take them to heart or ignore them as misguided or uninformed. But the coaches would be hard-pressed to view them as hate speech.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:35 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm
I stopped posting here for several years because someone tried to dox me and get me fired and all cyber signs pointed to someone on this board so maybe let's not make insinuations about everyone's real identities here please and thanks
Sorry to hear that. That shouldn't happen to anyone. I find it hard to believe it would be someone from this message board, but you never know. Regardless, it's pretty easy to figure out someone's identity these days.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:28 pm

There was a time in Asheville when I stopped a random person in a purple sweat shirt to ask whether he knew if my HS classmate Betty was around. When he found out my name, he began commenting on my recent posts to this board. (BTW, Betty has been in Dublin with the Western Carolina band. They marched in the parade on Sunday.)

Chris Cz once asked me for the URL here, and I made him promise me that he would not read anything on this site. I never asked him whether he kept his word.

I have met players' parents who knew much more about me than I had ever told them, or maybe even more than I have posted here.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:29 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:35 pm
slowcat95 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm
Sorry to hear that. That shouldn't happen to anyone. I find it hard to believe it would be someone from this message board, but you never know. Regardless, it's pretty easy to figure out someone's identity these days.
Oh, for sure. But it's still awfully creepy when someone makes the insinuation that they could 'out' you.
And yes, out IT guys were pretty sure of the source but not sure enough to take action
she/hers

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:55 pm

Steve Rodgers wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:41 am
raptorcat wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:40 pm
We hashed out the nepotism question two years ago on this board when Matt was hired. Time to move on from trying to bring it up again.

In my view, the biggest threat to our storied men's basketball program is the NIL phenomenon. It seemingly sprang up out of nowhere on the college sports landscape and is morphing and mutating at a dizzying rate. I don't pretend to fully understand how it works, but what worries me is my complete lack of knowledge about what the Davidson administration and the athletic department are doing about it. If there is any institutional inertia at work here and nothing of consequence has been done, we are headed down the road to irrelevance in D1 basketball. On the other hand, if the powers that be are actively working to raise an NIL war chest, the process seems so secretive that I am left to worry that we aren't doing enough. The NIL problem may bite us very soon this spring, as soon as the transfer portal opens and other teams try to tempt our best payers with filthy lucre.

Can someone enlighten me and ease my fears? Or tell me that I realistically have something to worry about?

I'm with Raptor on these issues. What worries me is that I have not heard a plan to keep DU competitive in the A10 as college basketball transitions in the transfer portal NIL era. The College President, the AD and the coach should have a plan and be explaining it to the Alumni, the students and the fans. The fact that this is not happening is very concerning.
Apparently my remarks were premature or prescient but it certainly appears the school is making an effort to develop a plan and inform the Alumni, fans and students. Good for the AD, coaches and President. Let’s hope the plan is realistic and successful.