In Game: vs. Loyola Chicago

2018 A10 Champions!
ScootCat

Re: In Game: vs. Loyola Chicago

Post by ScootCat » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:59 pm

That is correct if no one on your list departs. However, I’ll be somewhat surprised if all return. Just a guess though.
Esse Quam Videri

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:14 pm

Acorn wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:50 pm
ScootCat wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:46 pm
The portal looms very very large this spring. We clearly need shooters, a new quarterback, and possibly a big who can consistently score down low. Lots of reps in the weight room are an imperative as well.
1) Kochera
2) Bailey
3) Logan
4) Spadone
5) Ghedini
6) Brizzi
7) Adam
8) Durkin
9) Loughnane
10) Moss
11) Schulte
12) Coval
13) Joses

Thirteen is the maximum.
Sobering.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:30 pm

The team will contend for A-10 championship next year.

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:49 pm

Hope there is a legit slasher/scorer in the new crop coming in.
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:52 pm

I think one of those is still not a scholarship player.

Contend next year? In that we'll be part of the conference and therefore contending? Or actually have a realistic shot at winning? I don't see that happening unless we hit multiple home runs in the portal. Like the kind that take NIL money. The A10 is a one-bid league, but it is a pretty good one-bid league with some teams that have large talent gaps on us.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:53 pm

otherwildcat wrote:
    Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:30 pm
    The team will contend for A-10 championship next year.
    Agreed. Even standing pat, I think player maturation and improvement will result in an upper half finish (assuming we don't lose any key pieces to portal or injury). If a couple of our guys make above average improvements in their games and/or physical development, we could be special.

You can see the potential in spurts (like the first half tonight). We just can't maintain the focus, or we get out-muscled. With so many young players, several may be able to make significant gains in the off-season. I am already looking forward to October.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:48 pm

i77cat wrote:
    Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:52 pm

Contend next year? In that we'll be part of the conference and therefore contending? Or actually have a realistic shot at winning? I don't see that happening unless we hit multiple home runs in the portal. Like the kind that take NIL money. The A10 is a one-bid league, but it is a pretty good one-bid league with some teams that have large talent gaps on us.
    And one of the new guys is a preferred walk-on. Will said so tonight. I gathered that they are looking toward a transfer or two.
    Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

citycat

Post by citycat » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:02 am

Dr. Bliss wrote:
    Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:14 pm
    Acorn wrote:
    Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:50 pm
    ScootCat wrote:
    Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:46 pm
    The portal looms very very large this spring. We clearly need shooters, a new quarterback, and possibly a big who can consistently score down low. Lots of reps in the weight room are an imperative as well.
    1) Kochera
    2) Bailey
    3) Logan
    4) Spadone
    5) Ghedini
    6) Brizzi
    7) Adam
    8) Durkin
    9) Loughnane
    10) Moss
    11) Schulte
    12) Coval
    13) Joses

Thirteen is the maximum.
    Sobering.
    I concur with I77. Some of the players listed are not on scholarship.

Coach Reigel was asked about recruiting at the Fastbreak Club scouting report. He said we have commitments from 2 scholarship players and one preferred walk on.

If players 1)-11) all return, what's the purpose of a portal?

If we had a point guard like Braden Norris, we would have 5-6 more wins. He gets the ball up the floor quickly and distributes it to their shooters, drivers, and inside guys. He's a good shooter, but does not hog the ball.

When we had 37 points in the 2nd half, only 4 players had scored. You're not going to win many games doing that. It was reminiscent of the Iron Five of '76-'77. Kochera was Gerdy tonight. Durkin was Rod Owens.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:17 am

stevelee wrote:
    Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:48 pm
    i77cat wrote:
    Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:52 pm

And one of the new guys is a preferred walk-on. Will said so tonight. I gathered that they are looking toward a transfer or two.
    I did not list Phillip Kavu. I’d be surprised if he wasn’t a walk on given what I can (and can’t) find about him online.

On the flip side, I’d be surprised if either Coval or Joses doesn’t take a scholarship next year. I wasn’t sure about Spadone. So we’re still at 13 with Spadone or 12 if he’s paying his way.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:46 am

And I’m really uncomfortable with the bashing of our players (even if it’s a bashing of them collectively rather than individually) paired with nothing but praise for and confidence in Matt. The buck stops with him. And to the extent you think the problem is personnel, that’s also on him—recruiting is one of the most important jobs for a college coach. And the folks who insisted (and continue to insist) that we didn’t need to actually conduct a search for the College’s highest-paid employee pointed to his recruiting prowess (and part of their evidence?: the roster we had going into last year’s disappointing season).

Let’s be careful wishing away players. Again. Des Watson is one of the best players on a top team in the A10 that just dominated Davidson at Belk Arena. I don’t think he’s an NBA player, but he’s solid and we could have used him. He’s a better player now than he ever was for Davidson. And yet people insist Matt’s the better coach (notwithstanding anything on display last night).

And why did the best games from Brizzi and Durkin come early in the season? There are lots of plausible explanations. One of them is poor coaching decisions.

Losing is no fun. But there’s not much joy on the bench and even among some players on the court.

Be careful what you wish for regarding transferring. We might get some openings. Maybe several. But Davidson’s an even less attractive place now than it was when these Jimmys and Joes were recruited.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:07 am

Much less attractive. And very attractive as a place for other schools to poach from. I expect that some of our players will get interesting offers prior to next season. If some of our better players leave, upgrading through the portal seems unlikely.
    "Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:45 am

Maybe doubling ticket prices again would help.
    Esse Quam Videri

CatsRom

Post by CatsRom » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:12 am

i77cat wrote:
    Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:07 am
    Much less attractive. And very attractive as a place for other schools to poach from. I expect that some of our players will get interesting offers prior to next season. If some of our better players leave, upgrading through the portal seems unlikely.
    This where Matt & Davidson will really show their worth. This has been and will always have to be a place where players want to stay and be developed in order to compete. Losing Des really hurt, like losing Sam and Lee the season before really hurt. We need key pieces to stay 4 years and get the fruits of long time development, or the model of this program will have to change, and fast.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:44 am

"I want to play for that team." — Thought of a player on an opposing team during a game with Davidson, as reported after a Red and Black

So now he does, and will for another year.
    Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

2008wildcat

Post by 2008wildcat » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:44 am

“ On Davidson men’s basketball’s Senior Night, Wildcats are reminded what could’ve been”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sport ... rylink=cpy