In Game: vs UMASS

2018 A10 Champions!
Dr. Bliss

Re: In Game: vs UMASS

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:45 pm

Clearly Grant was fouled in the act of shooting. Terrible call. But what are the chances Grant makes 3 free throws?
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:47 pm

What a shame, Yes, we deserved better.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:48 pm

bostoncat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:44 pm
bostoncat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:40 pm
citycat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:37 pm
That’s our best inbounds play?
Speechless

We have no 3 point shooting so half the playbook has to get shelved I guess.
That was like an Alannis morrisette song - We try to miss the free throw at the end and actually make it
"Isn't It Ironic"

3 point lead with 48 seconds left and then you have 2 unforced turnovers. No excuse.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:50 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:48 pm
bostoncat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:44 pm
bostoncat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:40 pm
citycat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:37 pm
That’s our best inbounds play?
Speechless

We have no 3 point shooting so half the playbook has to get shelved I guess.
That was like an Alannis morrisette song - We try to miss the free throw at the end and actually make it
"Isn't It Ironic"

3 point lead with 48 seconds left and then you have 2 unforced turnovers. No excuse.
Turnovers trying to play fast when we should be burning clock.
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:50 pm

Up 3, our ball, 48 seconds left. We give up the final 6 points. Not competent.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:52 pm

MLC67 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:47 pm
What a shame, Yes, we deserved better.
Nah, UMass deserved it. Rebounding is a sentinel "want-to" stat. Nobody coaches effort better than Frank Martin.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

bostoncat

Post by bostoncat » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:53 pm

i77cat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:50 pm
Up 3, our ball, 48 seconds left. We give up the final 6 points. Not competent.
Make this season stop. Please

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:58 pm

The first Grant turnover was unbelievably stupid.
We had a 3 pt lead with 42 secs to play.
You don't throw a pass with any degree of risk. They may have given that turnover to Reed, but it was forced by Grant's pass, which led Reed too far under the basket.

If we don't commit the turnover, they are probably going to foul us.

I excuse the 2d turnover. We had to score.

The Sean foul on Cross in the backcourt-also stupid

We lose close games because we make losing plays-Richmond last week excepted.

Far too much scapegoating of officials around me. We lost the game.

That being said, that was a shooting foul with 1.2 secs left. But would Grant have made all three FTs?

Typical of our season, he made the FT he was trying to miss.

Second game we've lost this year with a 3 pt lead, the ball, and 40 odd seconds left. Hard to do.

This is one of the worst losses in the 49 years I've been a Davidson fan. No exaggeration. It's assuaged only by the fact that we are having such a crappy season so there have been other losses of the same kind.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:59 pm

We continue to find ways to lose rather than find ways to win. Wouldn’t take much to get over this hump next year, but the big question is who runs the point? We need a smart, heady PG to take the lead in these situations and I don’t see that person on our roster or in our recruitment.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:01 pm

bagelcat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:58 pm
The first Grant turnover was unbelievably stupid.
We had a 3 pt lead with 42 secs to play.
You don't throw a pass with any degree of risk. They may have given that turnover to Reed, but it was forced by Grant's pass, which led Reed too far under the basket.

If we don't commit the turnover, they are probably going to foul us.

I excuse the 2d turnover. We had to score.

The Sean foul on Cross in the backcourt-also stupid

We lose close games because we make losing plays-Richmond last week excepted.

Far too much scapegoating of officials around me. We lost the game.

That being said, that was a shooting foul with 1.2 secs left. But would Grant have made all three FTs?

Typical of our season, he made the FT he was trying to miss.

Second game we've lost this year with a 3 pt lead, the ball, and 40 odd seconds left. Hard to do.

This is one of the worst losses in the 49 years I've been a Davidson fan. No exaggeration. It's assuaged only by the fact that we are having such a crappy season so there have been other losses of the same kind.
4-10 record in games decided by 5 points or fewer.
0-8 in A10 games.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:11 pm

the word that rhymes with broke and begins with a 'ch..."
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:16 pm

The best thing for me is that Beth and I left at halftime for fantastic weather, $2 hot dogs, and a big Wildcat win over Penn State.

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:21 pm

"How to Lose Close Games With Special Plays"
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:32 pm

Our past 3 point shooting hid a lot of these problems. 14% from 3 doesn't hide anything, it exposes all.

Hats off to Kochera's play down the stretch. I still think that was a blocking foul when the ball went off of his foot.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

stan

Post by stan » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:47 pm

I was bothered by the lack of intensity early. When UMass broke an early tie with a run to get up 16-10 (IIRC) there was a turnover up top. Poor pass decision because recipient hadn't done the work to get open and offer a target (some knee bend would have been nice). We pass it anyway and the ball gets deflected and bounces loose and they beat us to the ball. Just didn't see the intensity to get there.

Later at 51-51 (I think), we give up an off board with a really lazy box out. UMass then cashes in a 3.

We aren't good enough to get away with the lazy plays and brain farts. That's just reality. We need 100% effort at both ends of every possession for 40 minutes. And not all our guys seem to understand that. There's a real good chance that the game is going to be decided by a possession or two. The possessions in the first half count as much as the ones in the last minute.

Coach K used to have those damn dookies slap the floor to impress the need for serious knee bend and defensive intensity. We have guys who never bend their knees enough on defense or rebounds to get their hands within a foot of the floor. Someone here can get pissed at me all they want. The film don't lie. Anyone want to break it down?

The good news is we are usually so close. The bad news is that getting over the hump is hard. It takes a major improvement in intensity, a focus on fundamentals, an improvement in decision-making, and making some FTs in crunch time. But I genuinely believe that all the improvement is possible. But we might have to pray harder on the FTs.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."