Reflections on Dayton

2018 A10 Champions!
bagelcat

Reflections on Dayton

Post by bagelcat » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:26 am

I had the privilege of being there (well, it was a privilege until about six minutes into the game).

Univ of Dayton Arena, on the banks of the Miami River, was always great. It's even better since a recent upgrade of the upper section. The Arena looks terrific; it seats about 13,500 and the place was full. And It was full well before the game started.

The atmosphere is raucous and the pep band is great. Two coeds were dressed like Pan-Am, or perhaps TWA, stewardesses (that's what they were called back then). A guy dressed like a pilot was standing between them.

On to the game:

Our half court defense looked really good for the first few possessions.

But then....a Kochera turnover leads to a Santos runout. A Huffman turnover is finished by a sprinting Cheeks. A Brizzi inbounds pass is intercepted by Cheeks for another runout layup. An errant Huffman pass to Adam leads to another transition basket by Santos.

Brizzi gets hung up on a Holmes screen for a basketball eternity (more than a second) leading to an open Brea three. Did Gelo expect Bailey to switch out? I don't know those kind of things, but I doubt it. I know is Brea is a deadly shooter and we left him open several times.

I the midst of a 17-2 Dayton run we played a couple of offensive possessions without Bailey, Kochera and Durkin being in the game at the same time. Reed came back in but Connor and Bobby remained out. Can we play a lineup that devoid of shooters?

Grant seemed out of sorts, turning the ball over and throwing up some bad shots. He also had a open shot from 10-12 feet in the lane and front rimmed it. He ended a Connor-led mini rally in the second half with a wild shot.

The positive was the play of Connor. Not much else. Except that we didn't have to agonize over another close loss and/or foul call costing us a game.

MrMac

Re: Reflections on Dayton

Post by MrMac » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:08 am

Great job, Bagelcat, of summarizing a not-so-great performance by the Cats. Grant is in a Funk. It happens to the best of players (see Curry, Steph, over the past couple of games). We aren't good enough as a team to be able to overcome any underachieving by our top players. Looking forward to a complete games for the guys against UMASS.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:18 am

bagelcat wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:26 am
I had the privilege of being there (well, it was a privilege until about six minutes into the game).

Univ of Dayton Arena, on the banks of the Miami River, was always great. It's even better since a recent upgrade of the upper section. The Arena looks terrific; it seats about 13,500 and the place was full. And It was full well before the game started.

The atmosphere is raucous and the pep band is great. Two coeds were dressed like Pan-Am, or perhaps TWA, stewardesses (that's what they were called back then). A guy dressed like a pilot was standing between them.

On to the game:

Our half court defense looked really good for the first few possessions.

But then....a Kochera turnover leads to a Santos runout. A Huffman turnover is finished by a sprinting Cheeks. A Brizzi inbounds pass is intercepted by Cheeks for another runout layup. An errant Huffman pass to Adam leads to another transition basket by Santos.

Brizzi gets hung up on a Holmes screen for a basketball eternity (more than a second) leading to an open Brea three. Did Gelo expect Bailey to switch out? I don't know those kind of things, but I doubt it. I know is Brea is a deadly shooter and we left him open several times.

I the midst of a 17-2 Dayton run we played a couple of offensive possessions without Bailey, Kochera and Durkin being in the game at the same time. Reed came back in but Connor and Bobby remained out. Can we play a lineup that devoid of shooters?

Grant seemed out of sorts, turning the ball over and throwing up some bad shots. He also had a open shot from 10-12 feet in the lane and front rimmed it. He ended a Connor-led mini rally in the second half with a wild shot.

The positive was the play of Connor. Not much else. Except that we didn't have to agonize over another close loss and/or foul call costing us a game.
The Miami River Bikeway is very nice.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:19 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:18 am
Dayton is a fun city to visit. The Air Force Museum ranks up there with the Air and Space Museum in DC as one of the best air museums in the world, and the Wright Brothers' home and bicycle shop, as well as the Huffman Prairie Flying Field, are also worth an afternoon.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:30 pm

Yes, the interior defense was a little soft, but Holmes will be in the NBA next season. Nothing on Davidson's part that cant be fixed. Hopefully the OOC schedule next year will afford Bailey and the other bigs an opportunity to compete against the best.
Huffman, had better games. Maybe he realized it was his last game in his home area.
Still optimistic for next year, the returning players will improve thanks to McKillop getting them action this year, and if Kochera returns, NCAA is not out of possibility

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:04 pm

Blue = PanAm
Red= TWA

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:06 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:19 pm
Dr. Bliss wrote:
Dayton is a fun city to visit. The Air Force Museum ranks up there with the Air and Space Museum in DC as one of the best air museums in the world, and the Wright Brothers' home and bicycle shop, as well as the Huffman Prairie Flying Field, are also worth an afternoon.
I thought the bicycle shop was moved to Michigan years ago. Did they move it back or make a replica?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:29 pm

I meant to write that Kochera, Durkin and Bailey were all out at the same time during part of Dayton's run. You probably figured that out.

Proof your work.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:14 am

stevelee wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:06 pm
DC69Wildcat wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:19 pm
Dr. Bliss wrote:
I thought the bicycle shop was moved to Michigan years ago. Did they move it back or make a replica?
https://www.nps.gov/daav/learn/historyc ... omplex.htm

It seems there are two Wright Cycle Company shops remaining of the 5 that the brothers occupied in Dayton. The third shop (1895-1897) remains in Dayton at its original location and on its original foundation, and is part of the Aviation Heritage National Park. The 4th shop (1897-1908), which was the site where they constructed the Wright Flyer, was moved to the Henry Ford Museum in 1937. The first, second, and fifth were presumably razed at some time.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

dorp

Post by dorp » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:15 am

I’ve been there twice for Dayton Dragons games- both of which were rained out. We will try again in July.

dorp

Post by dorp » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:21 am

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Lots of goose s*** in my experiences.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:35 am

From Methodist tradition:
“Flight is reserved for the angels!”

He went on to elaborate that if God had intended for man to fly, He would have given him wings. Clearly, the bishop was unable to envision what the speaker was predicting. When Bishop Wright finished his brief protest, he gathered up his two sons, Orville and Wilbur, and left the auditorium.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:36 am

dorp wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:21 am
Dr. Bliss wrote:
Lots of goose s*** in my experiences.
That was a seasonal feature in the parking lot of my last church, beside the South Fork River.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ