In Game: vs. Fordham

2018 A10 Champions!
otherwildcat

Re: In Game: vs. Fordham

Post by otherwildcat » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:07 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:02 pm
It seems like the college could put together some type of communications minor and tap some eager beaver students to do most of the grunt work for these broadcasts and game day activities. It would be great experience and maybe we could get better results. I still don't remember seeing a video replay on tv or in the arener this year.
Agree, have student communication majors do the broadcast also. Even if they are not very good, at least they would be present at the game and not in a room, hundreds of miles away.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:25 pm

Excellent student presence tonight. They filled both end zones, and they were loud. A bunch of them in the south end zone were wearing #55 Sosnik jerseys, and they started chanting, "We want Sosnik," as soon as we went up by double digits. Matt subbed him in all by himself, bringing the house down, then he sent in the rest of the walk-ons as a group at the next opportunity. Nice touch that I think the students appreciated.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:54 am

otherwildcat wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:07 pm
85Wildcatsky wrote:
It seems like the college could put together some type of communications minor and tap some eager beaver students to do most of the grunt work for these broadcasts and game day activities. It would be great experience and maybe we could get better results. I still don't remember seeing a video replay on tv or in the arener this year.
Agree, have student communication majors do the broadcast also. Even if they are not very good, at least they would be present at the game and not in a room, hundreds of miles away.
In 1991-1992 DCTV covered every home game on tape delay, with the dulcet tones of yours truly as play by play and Paul Rybiski as color commentator. We had a camera operator and a table courtside. It was a blast.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:56 am

I’m watching the replay of the second half. I can understand the frustration of those of you trying to stream live. I enjoyed hearing Sam’s intro, in spite of the awful sound. The sound was better later in the game, but the microphone choice for Sam made his voice really annoying to my Southern boy ears.

Brizzi and Adam come off even better in replay than in person for me. I can see their rôles in turning the tide, I guess since I know how it is turning.

At some point last night when I yelled, “Gelo!” I turned to Tim and said that I just like yelling “Gelo!” Fortunately I got to do it a lot. I need not repeat my adlib from earlier in the season, since Bagel already has. I still agree.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:18 am

The minute or so 7:00 or 6:00 is remarkable.

How long does ESPN+ keep archives? I’ll want to watch that stretch more times, and Tim D wants to see at least the half some time when he is over.

Sam has a long monologue about Brizzi. Earlier he had retold the Sosnik story as they showed his fan section, the road from some sort of media rôle to manager to a captain. As I type this, there were more great things from Gelo and Connor.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:43 am

Confidence is an amazing antidote, and it was a joy watching Brizzi create and play with confidence for an entire half. He’s had some terrific passes on a consistent basis, but they’ve been overshadowed by his struggles in other areas. There is no way to sugarcoat his shooting numbers this season (other than to say his defense has been consistently impactful) but watching him play when he’s confident and comfortable it is clear that he is dynamic and capable of raising the ceiling of the entire team when playing well. Obviously it’s great to see the shots fall in, but seeing him drive with authority, draw another defender, and make the right decision to find either a cutter or the open shooter on multiple possessions makes me feel even better, changing what can be a slog of an offense to watch into something dangerous again.

I feel strongly that the rest of this season we need to live with the mistakes he might make from time to time and focus on instilling confidence in him rather than having a short leash. If we want to achieve things in the postseason this year, we need that dynamic play and confidence against the better teams in our league. We also need to instill confidence and experience in him for future years, since we’ll need that going forward no matter what.

I think we all would like to see some more sustained and consistent success (and more shots to fall), but the flashes last night were thrilling to watch. I just hope we can bottle up that success rather than feeding his self doubt by pulling him immediately the next time he makes a mistake.

loosha's lad

Post by loosha's lad » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:09 pm

Wildcat92 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:54 am
otherwildcat wrote:
85Wildcatsky wrote:
In 1991-1992 DCTV covered every home game on tape delay, with the dulcet tones of yours truly as play by play and Paul Rybiski as color commentator. We had a camera operator and a table courtside. It was a blast.
I'd pay good money to hear the call of Paul Drobnitch's dunk that year. Back then there was no need whatsoever for the Dunk-O-Meter because Drob's flush was pretty much the only one at home all season long.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:19 pm

stevelee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:56 am

Brizzi and Adam come off even better in replay than in person for me. I can see their rôles in turning the tide, I guess since I know how it is turning.
Why do you have to be so diacritical?
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:21 pm

loosha's lad wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:09 pm
Wildcat92 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:54 am
otherwildcat wrote:
85Wildcatsky wrote:
I'd pay good money to hear the call of Paul Drobnitch's dunk that year. Back then there was no need whatsoever for the Dunk-O-Meter because Drob's flush was pretty much the only one at home all season long.

Was the Miami game broadcast? That was a win over a Big East team. It was a bigger deal to the basketball staff than it was to fans. Miami was the school that dropped basketball in the 1970s because they were an independent and had to fly to almost every road game.

In '62-'63, Miami was one of 3 teams to defeat Duke. Loyola beat them in the Final Four. Lefty's team was the other one.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:51 pm

Waitress wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:19 pm
stevelee wrote:

I'm going to France with the church choir in June, so just getting ready. And because I can. I gather that even the English Parliament no longer spells it that way.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

dorp

Post by dorp » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:23 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:
While I was on the phone with ESPN+ support, the screen again went black for a stretch. The guy on the other end said "Yeah that's on the transmission or Davidson side of things."

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:27 pm

When I got home, I noticed that my internet service was out. I unplugged the cable modem for c. 30 seconds, plugged it back in, and things reset and worked. I doubt that the transmission blackout was related, but I thought I'd mention the apparent coincidence. (My internet service is rarely out.)

When I watched the replay today, the picture looked good on my 65" TV, but the sound was really bad at the start. The blackouts I saw were almost for sure the same ones that had frustrated you who were streaming live. I don't recall any significant outages in the closing minutes of the second half. I'll likely again watch from under 8:00 to 5:00 or so. That was a fun stretch.

I don't think we can blame sun spots. I went out this afternoon and shot the sun through the filter that came yesterday for my telephoto lens. I was testing exposures for when I'll shoot the partial eclipse in April from here, weather permitting. (IOW, I'm not traveling to anywhere it will be total. I went to the 2017 total eclipse in Winnsboro. Today's sun has just a couple of spots.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:53 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:43 am
Confidence is an amazing antidote, and it was a joy watching Brizzi create and play with confidence for an entire half. He’s had some terrific passes on a consistent basis, but they’ve been overshadowed by his struggles in other areas. There is no way to sugarcoat his shooting numbers this season (other than to say his defense has been consistently impactful) but watching him play when he’s confident and comfortable it is clear that he is dynamic and capable of raising the ceiling of the entire team when playing well. Obviously it’s great to see the shots fall in, but seeing him drive with authority, draw another defender, and make the right decision to find either a cutter or the open shooter on multiple possessions makes me feel even better, changing what can be a slog of an offense to watch into something dangerous again.

I feel strongly that the rest of this season we need to live with the mistakes he might make from time to time and focus on instilling confidence in him rather than having a short leash. If we want to achieve things in the postseason this year, we need that dynamic play and confidence against the better teams in our league. We also need to instill confidence and experience in him for future years, since we’ll need that going forward no matter what.

I think we all would like to see some more sustained and consistent success (and more shots to fall), but the flashes last night were thrilling to watch. I just hope we can bottle up that success rather than feeding his self doubt by pulling him immediately the next time he makes a mistake.
I agree with this. Until last night, Brizzi’s two best games were the first two games of the season. In my view from the cheap seats,* a lot of that has had to a lack of confidence. Brizzi has definitely made mistakes, including very dumb ones that have been costly. But his getting immediately yanked for them and other failures led him to constantly look at the bench after every play. Meanwhile, more established players enjoy a much longer leash—their dumb, costly mistakes don’t get them yanked.

One of the most powerful things about the Bob–Steph relationship was that Bob McKillop had to go against some of his instincts to be the coach Stephen Curry needed. The story of the turnover-plagued half against Eastern Michigan is the best example—Bob had to override his reflex to bench Steph while nevertheless demanding Steph express his creativity within a system.

I suspect Matt has some of the same instincts Bob did. And while Brizzi is a fine player, he’s no Steph. Matt is surely aware of and sensitive to the balance between instilling confidence in his players and putting the most productive lineups on the court. But my $0.02 (can I get $0.04?) is that Brizzi needs more chances to work through his errors.

* Just kidding! They’re twice as much as last year, despite the College regularly giving away tickets. And yet I’ve still got lots of elbow room.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:55 pm

Your 2 cents does indeed cost 4 now.

That run from down 39-34 to up 45-59 was special. It was against DFL (at least by Massey) Fordham, but it was still special.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:31 pm

stevelee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:51 pm
Waitress wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:19 pm
stevelee wrote:

I'm going to France with the church choir in June, so just getting ready. And because I can. I gather that even the English Parliament no longer spells it that way.
Françe?
Conor Bree

~Tip well.