In Game: vs. Fordham

2018 A10 Champions!
stevelee

Re: In Game: vs. Fordham

Post by stevelee » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:30 am

wildforthecats wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:49 am
The lineup of Gelo, Grant, Reid, Adam and Connor was very effective in the late stages of the second half.
Obviously we will miss Grant immensely, but I look forward to watching the other four next year as well as the rest of this season. Matt's faith in Reid and Connor last season when they weren't doing so much is paying off. Gelo is looking more and more like we expected him to. (Plus, I like yelling, "Gelo!") A late classmate who was one of my closest friends was from Warrenton, VA. I have great memories of visiting there. Gelo attended my friend's high school for one year. Some of you met my friend and his daughter at gatherings before games in Charlotte or at the Brickhouse afterward. They would take the train down. He and I attended a couple of games in Richmond together, and some of you met him then.

A guy behind me Tuesday noted that Skog is in some kind of boot instead of a cast. Another season with him healed up and back in shape would be wonderful, but I'll try not to wish too hard.

As for Sam, I'm quite impressed with his knowledge and work ethic. Put him in the booth with Dick Cooke for baseball, and they're great. I grew up hearing Dizzy Dean every Saturday. A radio on the back porch meant that I could play outside and my parents could work in the garden and not miss a thing. That did affect my verb conjugations more than my baseball understanding. Sitting next to Sink at the game is probably the most informative.

When I wanted to watch just the second half of Tuesday's game, I found myself first listening to Sam's pre-game analysis, in spite of the bad sound. I then found his commentary during the part of the game I watched to be enlightening.

I enjoy the different styles of the coaches at FBC. Will may be my favorite. One game not long ago, it was like Will had already watched the video of the game. Even clueless as I am about sports, I saw the game unfold just as Will had said. Matt Matheny is great, and maybe a bit too much. I get the idea that he could fill another half hour if he had it. Of course it is good that the scouting coach is that prepared. Josh gives a very minimal talk and then asks for questions. A good sequence of questions has him impart largely the same things we get from the other two.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Jay Catsby

Post by Jay Catsby » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:07 am

My cousin is the town clerk of Warrenton, VA and another cousin (opposite side of the family) got married there about 10 years ago. Its a fun little town, lots of similarities to Davidson.

As unfortunate as Skog’s injury has been, it really has enabled (forced?) Reed to jump into a bigger role which he is more than capable of playing. It would be really interesting to see Skog on the floor with this version of Reed, so I too am hopeful for next year. But given David’s other possible opportunities (both collegiate and professional) would not be surprised to see him depart. Either way, I hope to see him on the hardwood somewhere next season.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:18 am

“ Obviously we will miss Grant immensely”

😎

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:34 am

wildforthecats wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:18 am

😎
foster GRANTs ?
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:34 pm

Foster-Grant made a great combination.

I think teams learned how to guard Foster better than they have Grant.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:50 pm

Jay Catsby wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:07 am
My cousin is the town clerk of Warrenton, VA and another cousin (opposite side of the family) got married there about 10 years ago. Its a fun little town, lots of similarities to Davidson.
Dick Winter was the long-time pastor of the Presbyterian church in Warrenton. There were five kids, my friend being the oldest. At supper I was never the only guest: the kids freely invited their friends, too. For this only child, a big family gathered around the table made each night special. One afternoon there was an intergenerational soccer match on a big field with no limit on number of players, it seems. Then many of us repaired to the manse for Cokes.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:42 pm

wildforthecats wrote:

😎
I hear all kinds of speculation. He's leaving. He's coming back. He has a job. Sunglasses. Who knows?
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:33 pm

stevelee wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:30 am
I grew up hearing Dizzy Dean every Saturday. A radio on the back porch meant that I could play outside and my parents could work in the garden and not miss a thing. That did affect my verb conjugations more than my baseball understanding. Sitting next to Sink at the game is probably the most informative.
Listen to the jingle, the rumble and the roar,
As she climbs along the woodlands, through the hills and by the shore.
Hear the mighty rush of the engine, hear the lonesome hoboes call,
As she travels through the jungle on the Wabash Cannonball.

We thought Ol' Diz was hilarious when he said so-and-so "slud into second."
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:36 pm

i77cat wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:42 pm
wildforthecats wrote:

😎
I hear all kinds of speculation. He's leaving. He's coming back. He has a job. Sunglasses. Who knows?
Curry School of Medicine at DU.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:05 pm

Ol’ Diz knew the King’s English. He also knew the Queen was English. He said so. 😁

JerseyLawyer

Post by JerseyLawyer » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:36 pm

Dial up Dizzy's memorable interview on the Dick Cavett show

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:00 pm

citycat wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:21 pm
loosha's lad wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:09 pm
Wildcat92 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:54 am
otherwildcat wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:07 pm
85Wildcatsky wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:02 pm
It seems like the college could put together some type of communications minor and tap some eager beaver students to do most of the grunt work for these broadcasts and game day activities. It would be great experience and maybe we could get better results. I still don't remember seeing a video replay on tv or in the arener this year.
Agree, have student communication majors do the broadcast also. Even if they are not very good, at least they would be present at the game and not in a room, hundreds of miles away.
In 1991-1992 DCTV covered every home game on tape delay, with the dulcet tones of yours truly as play by play and Paul Rybiski as color commentator. We had a camera operator and a table courtside. It was a blast.
I'd pay good money to hear the call of Paul Drobnitch's dunk that year. Back then there was no need whatsoever for the Dunk-O-Meter because Drob's flush was pretty much the only one at home all season long.

Was the Miami game broadcast? That was a win over a Big East team. It was a bigger deal to the basketball staff than it was to fans. Miami was the school that dropped basketball in the 1970s because they were an independent and had to fly to almost every road game.

In '62-'63, Miami was one of 3 teams to defeat Duke. Loyola beat them in the Final Four. Lefty's team was the other one.
I don't recall. I do remember calling the Campbell game, because I couldn't believe we were struggling with Campbell.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15